Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #1

Share |

Goof While Painting Kitchen Cabinets

Hi all,
Just joined forum. Looks like a good one!

Can anyone please advise me as to how my husband and I who have been in kitchen remodel from ___ for over 6 months can fix a few of our cabinets that look like this. I'm inserting link to it on flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/30818010@N07/5076571240/

I plan on leaving it up for a long time bc it'll go in my blog eventually. Anyhew....I was sanding out mistakes from subpar spray job with cheapo Wagoner Sprayer that no amount of thinner could make work when I discovered I liked the distressed sand thru look. Huband and I sanded our hearts out by hand and with orbital sander using 220 grit. In some cases sanding took it down to the bare wood (maybe orbital sander too harsh and then I didn't feather it using higher grit).

My husband used a better sprayer to do second layer of paint (we did not prime this time, but we did prime before initial spray job that turned out so poorly). I'm much happier with this time- not alot of orange peel effect or drips. Looks nice except for thinner areas that reveal where I previously sanded to wood. I was planning on doing sand thru, but not one this large.

Any help is very appreciated! Thanks!
Michele

PS -Primelock primer used (oil based, but can take a latex top coat- a BM product). Then used BM Muralo Waterbourne Latex paint that dries fast and is harder than alot of other latexes. Also is supposed to self level fairly well.

Kelechim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Goof While Painting Kitchen Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelechim View Post
Hi all,
Just joined forum. Looks like a good one!

Can anyone please advise me as to how my husband and I who have been in kitchen remodel from ___ for over 6 months can fix a few of our cabinets that look like this. I'm inserting link to it on flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/30818010@N07/5076571240/

I plan on leaving it up for a long time bc it'll go in my blog eventually. Anyhew....I was sanding out mistakes from subpar spray job with cheapo Wagoner Sprayer that no amount of thinner could make work when I discovered I liked the distressed sand thru look. Huband and I sanded our hearts out by hand and with orbital sander using 220 grit. In some cases sanding took it down to the bare wood (maybe orbital sander too harsh and then I didn't feather it using higher grit).

My husband used a better sprayer to do second layer of paint (we did not prime this time, but we did prime before initial spray job that turned out so poorly). I'm much happier with this time- not alot of orange peel effect or drips. Looks nice except for thinner areas that reveal where I previously sanded to wood. I was planning on doing sand thru, but not one this large.

Any help is very appreciated! Thanks!
Michele

PS -Primelock primer used (oil based, but can take a latex top coat- a BM product). Then used BM Muralo Waterbourne Latex paint that dries fast and is harder than alot of other latexes. Also is supposed to self level fairly well.
Come again?

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabinet, muralo, primelock, repairing uneven paint