Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Good Stain For Pressure Treated Pine

My buddy and I just started a fence building business. The first job we got is a 6' tall cedar board-on-board fence that has a 4 foot retainer wall built with pressure treated 2 x 6's and with 0.095" galvanized steel posts every ~30" along the 4' tall portion of the retainer wall. The fence posts are every 5 feet and the retaining wall support posts are every ~30".

The company we got all our material from says the pressure treated pine will "push out" the stain they sell and they do not recommend using it on this job.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good stain that will cover the cedar 1 x 6 pickets & 2 x 4 rough sawn rails, but also give a good looking coverage on the PT 2 x 6's and the look on the PT material will match that of the cedar? Ideally, it would be a good mix of quality versus coverage since we have only allocated $425 for stain and I am calculating 2400 sq. ft. for the fence & retaining wall coverage.

greghamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
registered

Rewards Points: 524

I like cabot's for stain.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-27-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

The pressure treated will 'push out' any stain if its done before it has a chance to cure out. New treated lumber is saturated with water and chemicals that need to evaporate out over time ( like 3-6 months minimum) for the material to hold any kind of stain. That's probably why they told you that at the lumber yard.

If the cedar is kiln dried, its likely fine to stain right away, but I don't know of any pigmented stain that will succeed on brand new treated wood.

Once the PT is dry (and ideally washed and/or sanded to remove mill glaze), lots of stains will work. The trick will be getting it to match the cedar. Rough cedar soaks up way more stain than smooth PT, and will look darker with the same stain.
One way to attempt to match it is to use a stain that can be applied in two coats. Sikkens Log and Siding comes to mind, but that probably doesn't fit your stain budget as its around $50 a gallon.
CWF UV can be applied two coats (wet on wet). Maybe you could put one coat on the cedar and two on the PT and get a decent match.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-27-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #4

Yeah, that is what I have heard about the PT versus cedar. Even though ideally we would wait 3-6 months before trying to stain the PT, I'm not sure the customer would be comfortable waiting that long, especially since we told him we would come back and stain his fence in 3-4 weeks. Plus, I wonder if it would hurt the cedar portion of the fence to wait 3-6 months.

That makes sense on the 2 coats for the PT and one for the cedar. Yeah, $50 a gallon would definitely punch a hole in our budget. I will have to look into the CWF UV you mention. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,152

In the future see if you can find a source for kiln dried after treatment lumber.
That way you could stain it the same day.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #6

That makes sense. Thanks. Will have to see if anyone has that.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,514

The trouble with waiting for the PT to dry out is by then the checking, cracking, and twisting is well started. Let me start by saying I have never used this product, but I have read it can be used on wet PT and will stop most of the above problems. It is TWP either 100 or 1000, there may be someone who knows more about it and will speak up.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:56 AM   #8

Wow, that would be cool. Then I could stain it right away then.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghamilton View Post
Wow, that would be cool. Then I could stain it right away then.
Greg I have been informed on another post my info may not be correct. Let me do a little bit more research.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #10

Greg go to the other thread untreated wood porch. read what is posted there I think maybe I'm getting the 2 threads confused.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Ben Moore used to make a product called 'New wood defender, or something like that. I was supposed to protect PT during the curing process. I think it's been discontinued.

Seasonite is another product used for that purpose that is still available I think. It's just clear though.
http://www.owatrol.com/pdf/technical-en-seasonite.pdf

Not much help to the OP for trying to stain PT unless you decide to wait to do the PT.

This comes up a lot, and for some reason these type products are hard to find.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #12

ToolSeeker, Wow, havenít been confused since 1979, wish I could say that. I read the link (http://www.twpstainhelp.com/prepping-new-wood-for-twp-stains/) joecaption listed on the untreated wood porch thread you referenced and it is very informative. I still am having a hard time envisioning telling the customer that we donít plan on staining their fence & retaining wall for 3-6 months. Of course, 5 months would only put us to ~April 1st where we probably would not have even received our 1st ninety degree day yet. Am considering staining just the Western Red Cedar (WRC) portion of the fence in the 3-4 week period we initially told the customer and explaining to them we will be back later to do the retaining wall. Not sure how that will go over though.

Also, I donít like the fact that we will only have access to one side of the retaining wall since the other side will be in contact with the dirt. I hope the side contacting the dirt will not rot because of the fact it is not stained. Hopefully the pressure treated aspect of the wood will take care of that.

Jmayspaint, What is OP? I read up on the Owatrol Seasonite product. It sounds like good stuff, but if I am leaning towards TWP 116 rustic at this point from the input from several folks on several forums, it seems it would run counter to the whole idea of weathering since it seems like this stuff would seal in the PT chemical rather than let it out, and then on top of that, when I did go over it with the TWP 116, then I would be mixing two types of stuff which Iím not really sure about either.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,236

OP = Original Poster, which is you, Greg Hamilton.

I'm gonna be in the minority on this and I expect some criticism, but here goes. A few years back I did a lot of PT work for a contractor (decks, fencing, etc.) & he insisted on treating the PT wood shortly after it was installed. I did as directed and used Flood's CWF-UV with redwood, cedar, or clear toner. I went back to some of those jobs to see how it performed and I can honestly say it was no different than if I had waited six months. The coating was still sound. So, is it great science or just blind luck for me? I don't know, but I often coat PT wood soon after it is installed and I have no qualms about doing it even though it's not industry standard.

CWF-UV is a clear/mostly clear wood treatment so it's not really a stain.

Last edited by Gymschu; 10-30-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

Superdeck has a wide selection and makes a good product.
vividpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #15

Gymschu, thanks for the clarification on the meaning of OP. Jmayspaint mentioned earlier about CWF UV. I just looked into it and it has incredible reviews (4.7 stars out of 5 out of 27 reviews at Lowe's). It is inexpensive relative to several of the others listed on this thread and I can go down to Lowe's right down the street in Carrollton, Texas and buy it. I'm pretty much sold, but will keep my ears open while waiting on the project to dry out for the next 4 weeks or so. Thanks for the input, this should save us lots of money.

vividpainting, thanks for the input regarding Superdeck. I will need to look into that too. Lots of options.