Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
registered

Rewards Points: 4
Share |

Good ideal or Bad ideal.

Using kyrlon fusion for plastic satin burgundy spray paint. On vinyl shutters. Will it work. Do you think it will look ok. Thanks.

ps. My vinyl siding is light tan.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 58

Good ideal or Bad ideal.

Should work, a lot depends on your ability with the rattle can. You are going to remove them right? How many are there if more than a couple it may be cheaper to get one of those Wagner buzz sprayers. The secret to rattle cans is severalcoats so they tend to get expensive. Maybe rent a buzz sprayer.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 36

Good ideal or Bad ideal.

What color are the shutters now?
If they are a light color originally, painting them dark burgundy could cause them to warp in the sun. Like vinyl door trim, or vinyl siding will if painted darker than original color.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 12

Good ideal or Bad ideal.

Clean them well.

For all the pros, don't you guys think the OP needs to hit them with primer first?

My project: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/bunga...-build-169318/
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 138

Good ideal or Bad ideal.

Most vinyl shutters are none paintable. Says so right on the label when you buy them.
If I was going to paint them I clean them first and use acrylic latex.
Sherwin Williams Duration and Super paint are two I've used on vinyl and it's held up great.
123pugsy (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 16

Good ideal or Bad ideal.

Joe is right........the newer version of vinyl shutters is non-paintable. I tried to paint them with a bonding primer and a topcoat of SuperPaint.......they have begun to peel in less than a year.

Now, the older vinyl shutters were paintable and would come out looking great. Personally, I wouldn't use rattle cans to spray them as you are going to use up a lot of cans at 5 or 6 bucks a can. Just buy some SuperPaint, again as Joe C. suggested and brush them on. Spraying rattle cans all day is gonna wear out your index fingers.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 58

Good ideal or Bad ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Clean them well.

For all the pros, don't you guys think the OP needs to hit them with primer first?
what is that a 33 willys. one of the fastest looking cars ever built. Looks fast just sitting still.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 12

Good ideal or Bad ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
what is that a 33 willys. one of the fastest looking cars ever built. Looks fast just sitting still.
Nope, a Chrysler. Thanks for the "looks fast" comment.

http://ontariorodders.activeboard.co...41-new-yorker/

My project: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/bunga...-build-169318/
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
registered

Rewards Points: 4

Good ideal or Bad ideal.

The color now is bedford blue. They were purchased online back in 2005. Sounds like best thing to do is just order some new ones. I just have them on the front and side. No reason for back. Nobody sees the back. I have a corner lot. A couple years ago. . I painted my standup mailbox. With the krylon fusion for plastic It was black made out of plastic or something. It turned out pretty well. Still looks good.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 96

Good ideal or Bad ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Spraying rattle cans all day is gonna wear out your index fingers.
Definitely.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleu...3#.UgBVRKzi0VA

I was recently asked to paint some shutters white. I told them I would just be painting over what was there and couldn't guarantee that layer. The paint seemed to be holding up OK though. There was a gouge on one of them, and I started to pick at it. Ended up literally rolling off half of the paint from the shutter in one sheet. So it wasn't really adhered, but still all the shutters looked OK and the flexibility of acrylic paint just hung in there. I put SW Resilience on it and so far so good - we'll see.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-07-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 0

Good ideal or Bad ideal.

Krylon fusion was made for plastic. Self-priming but not primer and paint in one. It only comes in rattle cans as far as I know but in a rainbow of colors.

Rustoleum makes a plastic paint in fewer colors in rattle cans, but as typical of the company we love for them? They also make a plastic primer in rattle cans and in liquid form that is rather amazing. You can, supposedly put over anything over their plastic primer.

Will plastic paint work long term on decorative shutters that look blazingly stupid to me in the first place because they would, if real, never cover the windows? Will it hold up to the constant heating and cooling? So far better than anything else.

Seriously? I re-did a kids outdoor plastic playset 5-6 years ago now with Krylon Fusion. It took cases of a few colors and hours of labor, laying down thin layer after layer of rattle can paint with kids involved. But the client had money (or I would have turned the project over to my bodyshop guys who paint plastic and vinyl bumpers all the time). Today it is amazingly good looking compared to the newer plastic kid set next door. Does it look as bright and vibrant as when we ran out of paint and decided we were done? In the goofiest of kid picked colors? Of course not.

The other option I have used for outdoor plastics is the vinyl restoration kits from the auto store. They work great if you can stand the color of what you have, don't mind revitalizing the color embedded in the resin, and don't mind doing all your faux shutters, three stories up, every time you wash your own car and detail the interior yourself?

Last edited by user1007; 08-06-2013 at 01:01 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 96

Good ideal or Bad ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Will plastic paint work long term on decorative shutters that look blazingly stupid to me in the first place because they would, if real, never cover the windows?
Sounds like someone else with the same pet peeve as I....
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:31 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 26

Good ideal or Bad ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
Sounds like someone else with the same pet peeve as I....

Wow! something we can agree on One of the stupidest, ugliest inventions ever

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote