Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #1

Share |

Good Coverage

With about every paint job I see over new drywall I can see the tape joints. I realize that the joint compound is probably a different texture than the paper on the drywall and absorbs paint differently. Does anyone know of a fix for this other than hang a lot of pictures.
Thanks

hompac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:39 PM   #2

Good Coverage

When you say "see the tape joints" do you mean you see a texture difference as in poorly feathered joints? Or can you see a color difference? In the former, well, get someone who knows how to finish dry wall properly. That is just caused by sloppy workmanship. If the latter, then a proper primer was not used. For new drywall, use a PVA primer as it is cheaper than general purpose primers (general purpose primers also usually block stains etc where as PVA won't) and is designed simply to seal the drywall and joints so that paint adheres evenly. However, some companies (SW and Ben Moore for instance)... may call it drywall surfacers or something weird. Of course, the SW/BM offerings are a little more than plain old PVA and offer more leveling etc. Also, prime any places you spackle. Otherwise you have light areas where the spackle was as the paint soaks in too much. Don't know why folks insist on saving 15% to just have a bad paint job by not using primer.

Last edited by Bubbagump; 10-13-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #3

Good Coverage

Maybe they used Behr paint where 1 coat of primer and coats of paint wouldn't even equal one coat of real paint.
Matthewt1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:15 PM   #4

Good Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hompac View Post
With about every paint job I see over new drywall I can see the tape joints. I realize that the joint compound is probably a different texture than the paper on the drywall and absorbs paint differently. Does anyone know of a fix for this other than hang a lot of pictures.
Thanks
I have to solve this problem every time I repair a nail hole in a painted wall. The joint compound used to repair the nail hole absorbs primer whereas the surrounding paint doesn't. The result is a dull-ER spot where there's joint compound under the primer, and you can identify those spots readily by the fact that light reflecting off the wall shows those areas to still be flat, even after painting.

The solution I've found is to simply prime joint compound with a 3 inch roller, and apply multiple coats of primer until the surface of the primer looks uniform under reflected light.

Just put the roller in a plastic bag and cover the open primer can with another plastic bag while each coat of primer dries.

And, yes, that solves the problem (for me at least).
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:12 AM   #5

Good Coverage

It sounds like the finisher didn't bust out the joint far enough when he floated it. Or didn't sand properly. Sadly, that's pretty common in new homes nowadays. A good texture will hide a multitude of finishing sins - even if it doesn't justify a lousy job. Keep in mind also that the glossier the sheen of the paint, the more obvious the faults will be.

Chagres
http://www.icanfixupmyhome.com
Chagres is offline   Reply With Quote