Good Brushes - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2007, 11:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

good brushes

I haven't done a lot of house painting, but I know that I hate the job if I am working with lousey brushes. But I never know what to get.

What brushes do people recommend for an exterior paint job?

Advertisement

firsthomegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:33 PM   #2

good brushes

I like Wooster Ultra Pro Xtra Firm. Solid Nylon+ bristle. Clears up easy and has plenty of firmness for these heavy bodied exterior acrylics. You can also use these in various brush cleaning solutions without melting the bristle as will happen with polyester.

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

good brushes

Depends on what the product I'm applying is, and what the house material is

For painting trim or clapboard, I generally prefer a big fat 3" Purdy XL Swan
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

good brushes

Sorry to hijack but I was about to post a thread about good brushes. What about a good one for interior latex (semi gloss)? I like an angled brush for cutting in for sure, and when I first started my project I foolishly assumed the 3 packs for $8 at Homie Depot were fine. I have one decent one at the house that I purchased a few months ago, I forgot the brand though. It was definitely a big step up from the cheapos.

Also, what would someone do to keep the brush working like new? I rinse them out very well at the end of each coat (or anytime I'm taking a lunch break etc). Are there other ways to keep them happy?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 06-07-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

good brushes

Cutting in brush for me is a nice 2.5" angle sash purdy. For other work, depends on what I'm painting for the size but its always a purdy of some kind. I haven't liked any other brushes that I've used.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #6

good brushes

It's really all opinion. I can't stand Purdy myself, but plenty of other people like them. I'd just make sure you get something with a bristle stiff enough for the paint you are using. Heavier paints need a stiffer bristle to push them out. Lighter bodied paints can do with a softer bristle. Also make sure the tip is beveled and not cut flat across the end.. Press the tip against a flat surface and make sure the bristle lay down to a nice chiseled edge when they flex. flat cut brushes are too thick at the tip and don't allow for clean lines. Outside of that, just stick to a good brand. Purdy and Wooster are two of the most widely known. Just be advised that the Wooster brushes Lowes carries are NOT the same as a true Wooster brush. I compared them to the ones I carry and they look like the have half as much bristle in the. Flimsy junk. I'd go to a real paint store for my brushes just to be safe.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

good brushes

That just advanced my brush knowledge by years. Thanks guys!
Old 06-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

good brushes

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser soze View Post
What about a good one for interior latex (semi gloss)? I like an angled brush for cutting in for sure
I like a firmer brush for that myself
I like the Corona Cortez 2.5" Sash (angle)
The Purdy's are good too, but the Coronas are firmer

As mentioned, it is a Different (brush) strokes for different (brush) folks kinda deal, but both are good

Also, in addition to the Lowes/Wooster warning poppa posted, please be advised the Purdys at Home depot are also de-spec'd
Go to a real Paint Store for the good ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser soze View Post
Also, what would someone do to keep the brush working like new? I rinse them out very well at the end of each coat (or anytime I'm taking a lunch break etc). Are there other ways to keep them happy?
Well, in addition to rinsing them out, I use a wire brush, a brush comb, and a spinner

I use the wide one, second from the left

It's pretty big and wide so it works pretty quickly

The comb is something similar to this:

Helps get the paint out of the bristles near the ferrule (metal)
And really helps straighten out the bristles after I use the spinner

After I wet comb and wire brush, then wet spin a few times, I'll comb the bristles straight then put it in it's shuck (cardboard "keeper" it came with) to dry
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:58 AM   #9

good brushes

You must be an allway fan too! I've started carrying a lot of their stuff instead of Hyde and Warner. Better price and in most cases better quality.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

good brushes

I use primarily purdy's, prefer the xl swan's I do most of my cut in with either a 3.1/2 or a 4. Though that could be mostly old school. I find most prefer a 3" brsh so gey yourself a 3 xl swan.

Advertisement

Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote