Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
gold paint

Is there a metallic-looking gold paint for exterior use? SW Antique Gold is too olive (being "old" gold). It seems "gold" applies to almost any orangey-brown color nowadays.

Ed Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,236

gold paint

Rustoleum (owned by SW by the way) has metallic gold paint at a reasonable cost. Might be hard to find, but it does exist.
Oops, that pic says interior but I know that there is an exterior version.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gymschu; 03-13-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

gold paint

As Gymschu said, they "might be hard to find" but they are out there…the reason many of the exterior "golds" are too brassy, or olive colored is due to the fact they use brass or bronze + aluminum powders to achieve these gold metallics…unfortunately (at least as it pertains to architectural coatings), they tend to oxidize and fade very quickly…

Companies like Sheffield Bronze and UGL both also make interior/exterior "gold" enamels (available through most independent paint stores)

Depending on what it is you're actually painting, how long you need the gold appearance to last, and how much you're willing to spend, you may want to look at automotive finishes…Good luck - let us know what you end up with.

Note to Gymschu: Sherwin Williams owns plenty of companies, but Rustoleum isn't one of them…they are under the RPM umbrella which also owns Carboline, Zinsser, Mohawk Lacquers and many, many, many other brands of finish manufacturers.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-14-2014), Will22 (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #4

gold paint

Thanks, Ric, spot on as usual!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #5

Unhappy

gold paint

The Rust-Oleum is available in half-pints and I have 2200 sq. ft. to paint (a Victorian house). Metallic-looking is what I mean, not an actual metalflake finish. Lots of colors look that way on paint chips but turn out to be nowhere near it in reality (all the Olympic "gold" colors, for example). Anybody have a current match for Renwick Gold?
Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,104

gold paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
The Rust-Oleum is available in half-pints and I have 2200 sq. ft. to paint (a Victorian house). Metallic-looking is what I mean, not an actual metalflake finish. Lots of colors look that way on paint chips but turn out to be nowhere near it in reality (all the Olympic "gold" colors, for example). Anybody have a current match for Renwick Gold?
Ayuh,.... I've had Great luck with Rustoleum in rattlecans,...
But,...
Yer paintin' the Whole House, metallic Gold,..??
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #7

gold paint

I mean a metallic gold like SW Antique Gold but not as olive. SW Renwick Gold would be perfect but they don't make it anymore. You know there are lots of "golds" in any paint line but all the ones I've got samples of are yellow-orange or brown-orange. I know gold is the dark tone of yellow-orange, but it can look metallic without having actual metal dust in it. Olympic B13-3 Yukon Gold would work if it actually looked like the chip color, but it doesn't.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #8

gold paint

Ed, SW can match any color. I'm sure the Renwick Gold, although discontinued, still has a formula in the SW system. I use SW colors from 30 - 40 years ago that my local SW store easily matches for me.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #9

gold paint

The SW color desk (at their 800-number) says they don't keep old formulas like Renwick Gold and can't supply it. The local SW stores don't even know where to start looking. The color swatch in the Heritage Color ad from 1970 is of course a 16-bit scan of a chip, which wasn't the color in the first place. Next time you go to SW, do me a favor and see if they can get the formula.

As you know, Dr. Roger Moss selected these Victorian colors way back then and SW has since messed around with them. He gave me a Benjamin Moore number which is also discontinued. Victorian paint books say "gold" is golden ochre plus a little vermillion. I may have to order pigments and try mixing it myself -- but then ochres were always variable in color.

The problem with modern "golds" is that they are either yellows or disgusting orange-browns. Go to wikipedia.org, get the List of Colors, and look at "Gold (metallic)". Compare that to "Old Gold". SW 2814 is the latter.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #10

gold paint

Ed, I'm thinking the Renwick Gold likely had a lot of lead in it to make that truly gold color. Now that lead is banned, I think the newly formulated paints of today can't match that gold color that was achieved with the old lead-based paints. Yet another gov't regulation.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

gold paint

Check out modern masters.
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #12

Smile

gold paint

Modern Masters certainly has a good line of true metallics. I would think their clearcoat is necessary for exterior durability. $100 a gallon is not too much for such a specialty. However, I'm not looking for a true metallic.

Got SW Torchlight -- the best match according to the chips -- and painted it on cardboard. Another yellow-orange. Looks like I'll have to get golden ochre pigment and mix it myself.

Lead in paints is either lead carbonate white or chrome yellow (lead chromate). Since greens were made by yellow plus blue, they will also have lead. Ochres and iron oxides (barn red, for example) won't. Renwick Gold was introduced in the 1970's so it would have a modern tinting color formula. Too bad nobody still knows it.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #13

gold paint

Got color-eye matches (of a printout from my computer drawing of the house) from Lowe's and the SW store. Both are yucky beige, not gold.

This makes 15 wrong color samples so far.

So, the same question: Is there any gold-looking paint that is not a true metallic?
Old 04-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #14

gold paint

You can try gold leaf.Although it is a bit pricey but much comfortable as compare to the others i think there is also a metallic textile paint..
darren222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #15

gold paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren222 View Post
You can try gold leaf.Although it is a bit pricey but much comfortable as compare to the others i think there is also a metallic textile paint..
Darren, maybe he will hire you to gold leaf his entire house. Good luck with that!!!