Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #1

Share |

Glue on sheet rock

Eleven years ago I cleverly glued a cork border at chair-rail height all around my son's bedroom wall. It served its purpose, but now he is married and I want to repaint his room. I have scraped off all of the cork, but the glue spots are left on the wall. they will not scrape off. I have sanded them flat in some spots, but this also heats and spreads out the glue residue. I don't remember the type of glue that I used, but I remember that it was a multi-purpose, gel type of glue. Can you give me some guidance on the best way to prep the wall before painting?

barbarajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Glue on sheet rock

If you've got it relatively flat, I'd prime it ( to seal it in) Bin would be very good, Zinnser 123 would do- and then using a broad blade fan out taping compound to cover any remaining texture, sand flat, reprime ( 123 or simpler would do) and then paint.

Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #3

Glue on sheet rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
If you've got it relatively flat, I'd prime it ( to seal it in) Bin would be very good, Zinnser 123 would do- and then using a broad blade fan out taping compound to cover any remaining texture, sand flat, reprime ( 123 or simpler would do) and then paint.
^^^^^^WHat Brushjockey said. I might add that you may have to skim coat multiple coats of joint compound depending on how high the glue remnants are on your wall. Make sure to feather out each coat so you don't end up with a high spot in the middle of your patched area.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Glue on sheet rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post

Gardz would be better (IMO)
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
(the original)

Glue on sheet rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarajones View Post
I have sanded them flat in some spots, but this also heats and spreads out the glue residue
The fact that it softens and spreads means it can be removed successfully. Try some Krud Kutter Adhesive Remover or Goo Gone. You should be able to get most of it off, and I agree with chrisn on Zinsser Gardz over the other primers. It's made specifically to seal problems like this.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote