Glossy Textured Interior Walls - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

glossy textured interior walls

Hi, bought a fixer foreclosure with all rooms painted bright colors. Walls appear to have a heavy gloss over texture. Have used TSP and sanded w/ orbital sander and primed with water base Kilz. Noticed some of the primer has an orange peel look and having problems with priner sticking. Want to prime and then apply a heavy texture, concerned about the texture sticking. Researched Zinsser Bullseye, both products say they will cover. Considering purchasing another orbital sander and really leaning on the walls and ceiling to degloss for better grip. Please provide recommendations on additional sanding,andif I should use an oil based product or water based, appears Kilz and Bullseye are comperable. Home Depot advised against a oil based primer as latex won't stick to oil based primer. Thanks! Susan.
Attached Thumbnails
glossy textured  interior walls-blue-room.jpg  

Advertisement

susan henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

how old is this house ,what finish is on their now?oil or latex ? is lead paint an issue? hers what i would clean walls when you use any cleaner it is important to rinse wit clean water .the residue left by not rinsing is as bad as what your cleaning,. im not knocking big orange but yes you can paint latex over oil primer. zinsser cover stain oil about 22 dollars at the big box. this will stick and if their are any stains well that's that .i think the can says top coat in 2 hours id let it dry over night

Advertisement

ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

The sander is overkill. If the primer isn't sticking, there is something else going on. I suspect it might have contaminates- greasy walls or something.
I would recommend washing it down with something like Dirtex, or Krud Kutter.
Some would say TSP, but that is better at breaking the gloss than cleaning the walls, and it is somewhat tricky because it will etch anything it gets on.
BTW- Kilz latex is trumped by Zinsser 123 or bulls eye...
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
The sander is overkill. If the primer isn't sticking, there is something else going on. I suspect it might have contaminates- greasy walls or something.
I would recommend washing it down with something like Dirtex, or Krud Kutter.
Some would say TSP, but that is better at breaking the gloss than cleaning the walls, and it is somewhat tricky because it will etch anything it gets on.
BTW- Kilz latex is trumped by Zinsser 123 or bulls eye...
Brushjockey, you are saving my pocketbook and my arm, would you recommend re-cleaning the wall in the areas that I have primed and re-priming with Bullseye (made by Zinsser)? And, can you recommend a product for texture. Years ago I used pre-mixed latex, brand, ATI, texture coating and can't find it. Appreciate you recommending a good texture for these walls. Thanks a bunch, Susan.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

I agree that sanding as you are is overkill. When you say you're having trouble with primer sticking, what does that mean? Bonding primers can take up to 5 days or so to develop their bond, and in the meantime will chip and come off easily. Washing with TSP, as Brush said, will etch the surface, which will be easier than sanding a textured surface. Me, on walls, I would just trust the bonding primer to do the heavy lifting, and just go over the gloss with the primer. Trim is different. But, if you wash with TSP, be sure to rinse well, especially if you are using a Zinsser product. They spec against TSP, but it's only because people don't rinse well enough. Product knowledge, lack of, is a troublesome aspect of the big boxes. Many of them were selling garden hoses last week and graduated to paint. I don't think that I've ever seen a general purpose oil based primer that wouldn't accept a latex topcoat. Not saying there aren't, just haven't seen one, for non-commercial, non-idustrial uses that is. An oil would be your better choice to use under a water based texture finish, less chance of re-activating the primer. I would give it a couple of days to dry prior to texturing. Use Zinsser Cover Stain or BIN. Good Luck.
Joe
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #6

Thanks, Joe, I used a heavy mixture of TSP and unfortunately did not rinse. I believe the 'not sticking' could be from greasy dirt, as the house was really trashed. The primer has been on over a week, house is in Las Vegas and gets very hot, so might be drying too fast, since I don't run the air. So, taking your advice, I'll re-wash the walls with the cleaner, re-prime with oil base, and wait a week before applying a latex texture. Can you recommend a few texture products? Thanks, Susan.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

I am a flat wall kinda guy- so can't help with the texture mix- sorry.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #8

Hi LTD, House is 14 years old, the finish appears to be a hard gloss, very thick. Is there a way to tell if the paint was oil base? I'm doing a re-wash with cleaner, as per Joe. Glad to hear it's OK to go over the oil with a latex base. Thanks for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
how old is this house ,what finish is on their now?oil or latex ? is lead paint an issue? hers what i would clean walls when you use any cleaner it is important to rinse wit clean water .the residue left by not rinsing is as bad as what your cleaning,. im not knocking big orange but yes you can paint latex over oil primer. zinsser cover stain oil about 22 dollars at the big box. this will stick and if their are any stains well that's that .i think the can says top coat in 2 hours id let it dry over night
Old 08-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Product knowledge, lack of, is a troublesome aspect of the big boxes. Many of them were selling garden hoses last week and graduated to paint.
Joe
someone should start a thread for quote of the day.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (08-05-2011), ttr13r (08-07-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan henderson View Post
Is there a way to tell if the paint was oil base?
all coatings can be disolved by their original solvent or a stronger solvent except for waterbase paints. water based paints can not be redisolved with water after it is cured. rub a small area with acetone, if the paint starts to come off or soften it is water based. if it shines or polishes it is oil.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike3789 View Post
all coatings can be disolved by their original solvent or a stronger solvent except for waterbase paints. water based paints can not be redisolved with water after it is cured. rub a small area with acetone, if the paint starts to come off or soften it is water based. if it shines or polishes it is oil.
Latex will not dissolve in water, true, but water can soften/damage it prior to curing. Goof off or denatured alcohol will also test for latex.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
susan henderson (08-07-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
I am a flat wall kinda guy- so can't help with the texture mix- sorry.
I'll second that. Don't care for texture, don't apply it, and hardly see any in the mid-Atlantic region. From what I can gather, texture is a regional thing. Oddly enough, I had a general contractor I'm wooing for work today ask if I did knock down. I didn't know painters did knock down, thought that was a drywaller/plasterer job. He likes it for ceilings. He can have it, as I have no neck or shoulders left for that work. Ten years ago, my doctor told me I had the neck of a seventy year old man. I was only forty then, so now my neck is eighty. Oh well, it stills holds up my fat, thick head.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,294

Quote:
I'll second that. Don't care for texture, don't apply it, and hardly see any in the mid-Atlantic region. From what I can gather, texture is a regional thing. Oddly enough, I had a general contractor I'm wooing for work today ask if I did knock down. I didn't know painters did knock down, thought that was a drywaller/plasterer job. He likes it for ceilings. He can have it, as I have no neck or shoulders left for that work. Ten years ago, my doctor told me I had the neck of a seventy year old man. I was only forty then, so now my neck is eighty. Oh well, it stills holds up my fat, thick head.
^^^^^^Now that's the quote of the day right there^^^^^
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #14

Thanks, I'll test the wall and find out what's on it. Good tip!

Quote:
Latex will not dissolve in water, true, but water can soften/damage it prior to curing. Goof off or denatured alcohol will also test for latex.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #15

Out here, in the west, I don't see much in wall coat except texture. Some is knockdown and some is straight spray without knockdown. I'm in CA, AZ and NV.
Quote:

Advertisement

Tags
covering gloss texture