Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Glossy finish to pre-sealed deck

Hi,

I recently installed a raised cedar deck. I searched DIY forums for days looking for the "perfect" sealant, and found out there isn't one. Every sealant one guy swears buy, another one dismisses. So I made a short list, and used Olympic Maximum cedar-tinted semi transparent sealant, and am very happy with the results.

HOWEVER, I kind of wanted a "glossy" finish to my deck, and olympic maximum is anything but. It is very flat. Is there some kind of top coat I can put on as a bit of extra protection, and to give me that glossy look that will look great, and hopefully help at keeping the deck clean?

Thanks!

littlebum2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

A friend of mine used to have the same issue as yours. He use a clear coat which claims to be the toughest for protection with an instant glossy finish and was satisfied with the result. I'm not sure on what product it is. Porcelain clear or top coat maybe. I advice you to do some research and hopefully you find the best for your cedar deck. Good luck!

kace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Hey Littlebum2002,
You along with everyone else with a deck wants the “perfect” stain, unfortunately there are number of options out there all with their positives and negatives. So I’m glad to hear you were happy with the one you had chosen and just hope to brighten it up a little. Well fortunately you are in luck there are a number of “wet look” sealers on the market that are designed for interior/exterior stained or bare wood surfaces. These sealers go on much like the stain you had just applied and will dry to a bright glossy finish. As you had mentioned you were hoping to add a little extra protection as well, when applied in multiple coats these will do just that. I agree with Kace, before you purchase your sealer do a little research and make sure it is compatible with the stain you had applied and is a long lasting quality product.
Good luck and keep us updated, Jeff
HDwetPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I would go with Marine Spar Varnish.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

Oh my L*rd.... ?!?!

Pretend you didn't see that Spar-Varnish recommendation!!
>>> It's ONLY for vertical applications...NOT deck/horizontal use....!!!

Sikkens DEK-Finish is one of VERY FEW products that create a "Furniture" look.
HOWEVER:
* Wood MUST.... REPEAT MUST.... be coated on ALL 6 sides. TWICE. One day apart. This keeps most moisture-vapor from entering the wood in the first place.
* IF deck is lower than 4'...DON'T do it. Too much ground-moisture vapor to contend with.
* IF deck has/or will have skirting/lattice-work...don't do it.

Clear concrete/patio-stone glossy sealers "could" be used, but you're creating an endless cycle of maintenance to keep up that appearance! Most likely EVERY year, depending on sun/traffic.

Even the Sikkens finish COULD require an annual light sanding/re-coat every year, if it sustains heavier traffic. Every other yr. for sure.

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote