Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Glidden Professional Lifemaster Oil vs Dunn Edwards oil base

Good Sunday morning here in SoCal,

Wondering if anyone has used Glidden Professional Lifemaster Oil, especially in the kitchen area around the stove/cooktop area. Does it hold up well to cleaning???

I have a gallon I bought to use but reconsidering using it or getting some oil base (we can still get quarts of oil base at our local Dunn Edwards but for how long, they/we don't know).

We own an apartment building and the units have kitchenettes so its not like a large full size kitchen you can sit down in. The ceiling is only 8 x 10 feet so you have an idea of the size. We have always used oil base and have been pretty happy with it on the wood trim, bathroom and kitchens. It has always held up very well under cleaning and just in general.

The popular color we used back then was Navajo White. It is looking kind of dingy so we are looking to repaint as tenants move out to brighten up the units.

We are wondering if anyone has used Glidden Lifemaster Oil on their kitchen walls and how well it holds up to cleaners, especially around the cook top areas. In the past, we have used 409 spray cleaners on the oil base paint and it cleans the grease and grime up pretty good.

Would the Lifemaster Oil hold up to the same kind of spray cleaners (409, Fantastik, etc)?

sierra1194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I've have never used the Lifemaster oil, but I have used the latex with excellent results. I also use Glidden Professional Diamond 350 and 450 latex paints. For exterior I use Fortis 350 and 450, Wood Pride Solid stain, and Flood decking products. They are every bit as good as anything SW or BM offer with out the added cost. Never once has the paint failed me. I'm sure you will have no issues with the LM oil product.

JMDPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 268

Lifemaster Oil is a hybrid product- acrylic, with some alkyd resin in it. It keeps down the VOC's, yet allows many markets throughout the country use a product like this. However, the product is primarily acrylic- it cleans up with soap and water. It would be cleanable, but with not with ammoniated cleaners, which may soften the acrylic. You can use a non-ammoniated cleaner (Dawn , Palmolive) in a water solution.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

i've never used the oil based lifemaster but i use the latex alot and its a very good paint and the one i'd recommend for latex paints. it does hold up very well to cleaning but its not recommended to clean for 28days till its fully cured.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

since I can't control what a tenant uses to clean and like me, I generally use a 409 or Fantastic spray, I would be concerned how well this Lifemaster oil would hold up. I've found that these sprays clean up oil and grease splatter very well as opposed to Dawn or Palmolive. Thank you for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will22 View Post
Lifemaster Oil is a hybrid product- acrylic, with some alkyd resin in it. It keeps down the VOC's, yet allows many markets throughout the country use a product like this. However, the product is primarily acrylic- it cleans up with soap and water. It would be cleanable, but with not with ammoniated cleaners, which may soften the acrylic. You can use a non-ammoniated cleaner (Dawn , Palmolive) in a water solution.
sierra1194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 268

Ammoniated cleaners can soften acrylic paints. That is why I recommended non-ammoniated alternatives.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,034

I think your biggest deciding factor should be what is on the walls now. I highly recommend you do not put a pure oil base paint over a latex. Also I wouldn't put latex over an oil without a primer inbetween.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Hybrids are waterborne alkyds, not the other way around. When the water flashes off, what you have on the wall is an alkyd. It has the hardness and sandability of any alkyd and it also has the same tendency to yellow.
My company in Northern California makes an excellent hybrid. This technology has been around for over 10 years and keeps improving. Use it with confidence, and, you can buy it by the gallon!

Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote