Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 PM   #1

Share |

Glidden 2N1 paint

Is this paint just as good or better than using separate primer and paint?

Edoucey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:50 PM   #2

Glidden 2N1 paint

Is the 2N1 Glidden Paint good to use on porches? Will it last? Or is it better to use separate primer and paint?

Edoucey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #3

Glidden 2N1 paint

Edoucey, there are about 400 topics on here about paint and primer in one. I believe the consensus is to use a REAL PRIMER and then a REAL TOPCOAT. To do otherwise is asking for trouble. It's just another flashy marketing tool targeted towards DIYers to remove more $$$ from their wallets by convincing them that paint & primer is the way to go................no professional I know would use such paint.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #4

Glidden 2N1 paint

If you were to do a search on paint and primers in one you would find pages and pages of information on this site. You will learn alot of valuable information by doing that seach.

To answer your question short and sweet 2 in 1 primer and paint is a total advertising hipe. BAD Stuff. Do yourself a favor and buy a GOOD paint not one from one of the home stores.

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Glidden 2N1 paint

I don't believe in paint and primer in one, as primer and paint each have there own purpose. Primer creates a surface for the paint to bond to and also helps to create a uniform surface while paint adds color and actually protects the surface. Primer will not protect the surface from anything. I would still prime as needed with a quality primer.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (09-01-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #6

Glidden 2N1 paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1951mm View Post
To answer your question short and sweet 2 in 1 primer and paint is a total advertising hipe. BAD Stuff. Do yourself a favor and buy a GOOD paint not one from one of the home stores.
Sorry, newbie confusion here. What is the difference between when Glidden calls their paint 2N1, and Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams call their top of the lines such as Aura Interior and Duration Exterior, "self priming"?

Are those two companies that seem to be highly touted here only feeding us advertising hype and not providing accurate information? Is Aura and Duration "BAD Stuff" because they are advertised as "self priming"?

Help.
JohnKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
Painting Company, NY

Glidden 2N1 paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKC View Post
Sorry, newbie confusion here. What is the difference between when Glidden calls their paint 2N1, and Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams call their top of the lines such as Aura Interior and Duration Exterior, "self priming"?

Are those two companies that seem to be highly touted here only feeding us advertising hype and not providing accurate information? Is Aura and Duration "BAD Stuff" because they are advertised as "self priming"?

Help.
I can speak for Sherwin Williams Duration, as I've used 100s of gallons of it over the years. The self primining that they state is on repaints, where there is not a bare substrate. It is still recomended that a primer be used on a bare substrate I.e raw wood. Duration is a premium paint, its 100% acrylic, scrubbable, has anti microbial, and one coat of Duration drys to a thicker mill thickness than most paints.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #8

Glidden 2N1 paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
The self primining that they state is on repaints, where there is not a bare substrate.
So Duration's advertising claim is valid due to it being for a repaint? Quoting directly from their website >

"Self priming to bare wood, vinyl and other surfaces" (underlining is mine)

Benjamin Moore makes a similar self-priming claim for Aura, but adding

"On bare substrates two coats are required"
Old 09-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
Painting Company, NY

Glidden 2N1 paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKC View Post
So Duration's advertising claim is valid due to it being for a repaint? Quoting directly from their website >

"Self priming to bare wood, vinyl and other surfaces" (underlining is mine)

Benjamin Moore makes a similar self-priming claim for Aura, but adding

"On bare substrates two coats are required"
If you are painting a bare surface, such as wood apply a quality primer first. This is only my opinion, but its also how I would prepare the substrate.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #10

Glidden 2N1 paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
If you are painting a bare surface, such as wood apply a quality primer first. This is only my opinion, but its also how I would prepare the substrate.
I agree (but from only what I have gleaned from the experts on this site).

I was just wondering about the issue that since Glidden's 2N1 was called 'total advertising hype" and "BAD Stuff" in an earlier post, then why aren't Benjamin Moore and SW held to the same advertising standards when they claim the same thing for their two top-of-the-lines?

So if I was just going by SW's website (and no advice from experts here), I would think I could use SW's Duration self-priming exterior paint directly on bare wood with no primer. Misleading advertising hype?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

Glidden 2N1 paint

Unfortunately- because HD has such huge advertising power, good paint companies have to try and match the hype.
The reality is that any all acrylic based paint will get decent adhesion.
It might not do it as well, or even as cost effectively as something meant just for that purpose, but it will work to a degree.
But why would I prime something with $65 Aura, when Zin 123 @ $20 will do it better?
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #12
ltd

Glidden 2N1 paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I agree (but from only what I have gleaned from the experts on this site).

I was just wondering about the issue that since Glidden 2N1 was called 'total advertising hype" and "BAD Stuff" in an earlier post, then why aren't Benjamin Moore and SW held to the same advertising standards when they claim the same thing for their two top-of-the-lines?

So if I was just going by SWs website (and no advice from experts here), I would think I could use SWf Duration self-priming exterior paint directly on bare wood with no primer. Misleading advertising hype?
yep misleading advertising hype .ok sherwin williams interior super paint i buy a lot of it. great all around paint almost top of the line ,never had a problem.ok so about a year ago they put a new label on the can stating self primingit the same paint as always but the new label say its self priming.even the manger at s/w rolls his eyes when we talk about this . here's the thing people think when its a paint and primer in one that when you paint your painting and priming at once .no if your primeing its a primer coat now you still have to put your second coat on, the paint coat.

Last edited by ltd; 09-01-2011 at 10:50 PM.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #13

Glidden 2N1 paint

Thanks for the clarifications - about the primer/paint price difference and the hype issues.

Just didn't want to scrape my house, then paint with a self-priming paint only to have to put more coats of the more expensive paint on. Didn't even know Duration (or SuperPaint) had that advertising "hype" until I read this thread and investigated further.

So about this Zin 123 - it's cheaper, but is it better/just as good as the BM or SW primer?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #14

Glidden 2N1 paint

I would beg to differ with you guys on Duration. I just did a job last week where I used it, I read the label and I read it out loud to the customer. It specifically states the it can be applied directly over bare wood with the first coat acting as a primer, and the second coat applying the finish. In fact, you can read it in the PDS. It mentions it two or three time explicitly, it can go right over bare wood. I did one section of the job, with the customers approval, using it this way. He informed me that the painter he knows that led him onto it uses it as a primer/finish all the time, so he wasn't a tough sell. (I was working T&M, so I wasn't cheating him out of a primer coat, so all you pouncers, back down.) I'll watch it to see how it fares. Now, I'm no fan of this or what I did, but fair is fair. We can't go trashing one brand for doing something that our favorite brand is doing as well. I've never seen anyone on this forum even make mention of the double standard, till now. Not saying it hasn't happened, I just haven't seen it. I've read the can for Behr two in one, and I don't remember it saying explicitly that it can be applied directly over anything specific. So, if I'm remembering correctly, SW is even taking it one step further than Behr. Behr's language was wishy-washy, in the CYA fashion. I understand and agree that "self-priming" traditionally applies to old, weathered, or otherwise degraded surfaces that have lost the seal on the finish. It's a tough call. On one hand you have the traditionalists who insist on traditional primers, of which I'm one. On the other, it's possible that the technology exists to pull it off, maybe not with the same success or results of the traditional route, but it can still work. I say we have someone from SW, a tech guy, come on and explain just what it is about Duration that allows it to skirt the rules we all learned coming up. It's creating quite the furor in the industry, to be sure.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #15

Glidden 2N1 paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
yep misleading advertising hype .ok sherwin williams interior super paint i buy a lot of it. great all around paint almost top of the line ,never had a problem.ok so about a year ago they put a new label on the can stating self primingit the same paint as always but the new label say its self priming.even the manger at s/w rolls his eyes when we talk about this . here's the thing people think when its a paint and primer in one that when you paint your painting and priming at once .no if your primeing its a primer coat now you still have to put your second coat on, the paint coat.
Self priming and primer/paint in one are not the same thing. Don't confuse them. Because a can says self priming, it does not mean it advocates applying over any bare substrates, nor does it mean it can or should be. It's taken me twenty years of questioning to learn that much. They've been putting self priming on cans for decades, pp in one is new. PP is a good abbreviation for it, huh? Twisted minds are going to veer this thread in a new, unforeseen direction now. Seriously, we have enough contention with pp in one, let's not create more confusion by lumping self priming into the mix, completely different unrelated animals.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote