Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
I'll try anything...

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Glazing Kitchen Cabinets

I recently saw the exact finish that I would like to achieve on my kitchen cabinets and would love some help from anyone out there who has suggestions on how to achieve it.

I will try to attach a link to the site & photos if I can...Well I'll have to try that later...their server is busy.

Anyway...

I saw it on HGTV's Rate my Space and the owner posted pics of her kitchen/dining room and it was just what I want as well alot of others since it has stayed in the top rated makeovers on HGTV's site for weeks now.

The homeowner says that the cabinets were painted and then glazed with "van dyke brown" glaze. It appears to be just a wiped on glaze over a painted surface and then finally coated with a protective clear finish...but I guess that seems like that would be just tooooo easy if that was all there was to it.

So if anyone out there can give me some hints, or advise on this subject it would be greatly appreciated!

esbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Glazing Kitchen Cabinets

Most likely the cabinets were painted with a "base coat" color
Then probably the Van Dyke Brown paint was mixed with a glaze (1 to 4 ratio is suggested) and either applied using a technique (additive ragging, smooshing, bagging, feathering etc.), or applied fully, then partially removed using a technique (subtractive ragging, smooshing, bagging, feathering, etc...)
For cabinets, it should then be coated with a waterbased poly

The Benjamin Moore glazes are pretty user friendly
I'd head over to the BM website and look for info on application
Your local BM dealer should also have some pamphlets

It does look easy
I can say the technique may take some practice to get the effect you are looking for
Do not expect to start right on your cabinets
Figure a bit of time to try different techniques and color/glaze combos on some practice pieces
But it can be a huge amount of fun

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
I'll try anything...

Smile

Glazing Kitchen Cabinets

Thank you for your insightful reply to my post. I actually got a couple sample doors from the company that is manufacturing the doors and I definitely plan on trying the technique before I "ruin" one of the REAL doors.

I have invested way too much into this kitchen renovation to let the finish on the cabinets ruin it and make it look half-a**ed. My husband has painstakingly worked for months on these cabinets and I don't want a cheap finish or to ruin his wonderful woodworking skills with a bad finish job.

Thanks again!!! I look forward to any other suggestions that anyone can post.

Last edited by esbeedee; 09-21-2008 at 06:54 AM. Reason: sentence was left incomplete
esbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote