Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #1

Share |

Give your local paint store a chance!

I'm just an average homeowner, I try to do my own maintenance when I can. Often I just hit the blue or orange big box, and I've come to set my expectations accordingly. But I had read some old threads here, and there is a Sherwin Williams just as close to me as the Lowes, so I stopped by today, just to take a look.
Wow, what a breath of fresh air. In a word, professional; and the store had everything I'll need. Honestly, I had stayed away in the past because I thought it would surely be a lot more expensive, and maybe have a pro-only atmosphere. But it wasn't, not at all. Very competitive, and very friendly. (And it was nice to be able to park right in front and not have to hike a mile).
For me, S-W was close. If Benjamin Moore is close for you, go for it. Just don't be afraid to try your local dedicated paint store.
Lesson learned.

twinrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to twinrider1 For This Useful Post:
Brushjockey (04-03-2011), chrisBC (04-08-2011), chrisn (04-04-2011), Insman (04-10-2011), jomama45 (04-03-2011), kwikfishron (04-04-2011), NCpaint1 (04-04-2011), tcleve4911 (04-04-2011), waterman1971 (04-08-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
DIY staff

I wish others would give the paint stores a shot----So many that come here have had bad experiences with products from the big box stores---

A paint store is a breath of fresh air! Top products--good advice---fast service--

Good Post--Twinrider---

Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

I bought all my paint at the local Bengimin Moore. I don't regret it at all. Very well organized and friendly, and what's nice is they keep track of your purchases which I don't think the big box stores do, so if I need touch up paint or what not, I can get it. I actually went for some touch up a year after I painted and it cost maybe a few bucks for a small jar. They'll even help carry it to your car if you have multiple trips to do. It's little things like that which set local business apart.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #4

My local SW store is outstanding! Professional, quick, courteous service. As a pro, they even give my name & # out to potential clients and I appreciate that!
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
Learning by Doing

I always select to buy locally. I try to buy produce only from my time zone and hemisphere. When making any purchase I will try to buy made in the USA, even if it costs me a little more money.

BUT...... when I don't get good service.... all bets are off. We have a SW two blocks from my house. When I walked in there I got IGNORED. I gave them a second chance and got surly sub-par service (and I am not a high-maintenance customer - I just expect courtesy and professionalism). So, I take my paint business to the big box place where I have been consistently satisfied with the service and the product (but I don't buy the cheap crap ).

More than anything I would like to use the local place - locally owned/high quality product - but I'm not willing to debase myself to do so.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
Experienced

Define local, the big box stores are franchises, and the employees are all local folks.

I know not all are staffed with professionals but the ones in my area by chance are.

Just my 2 cents

Mark
Old 04-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Define local, the big box stores are franchises, and the employees are all local folks.

I know not all are staffed with professionals but the ones in my area by chance are.

Just my 2 cents

Mark
Mark - I am just jealous. Ugly Green Monster. Wish I had an awesome local paint store.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Experienced

Leah, what I am trying to say, big box stores are local store, the employees of these stores are local folks and there is as much chance of the proprietor to be local fanchise owner as a paint specific store.

I have dealt with brand L and brand HD and both in my area have at least one knowledgable and all are curtious and responsive employees.

There seems to be a real stigmatism toward these places weaved in many of the threads dealing with paint, I think both places have product worth using and service that is equal to and in some case greater than the SW's and BM's of the world.

Mark
Old 04-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Leah, what I am trying to say, big box stores are local store, the employees of these stores are local folks and there is as much chance of the proprietor to be local fanchise owner as a paint specific store.

I have dealt with brand L and brand HD and both in my area have at least one knowledgable and all are curtious and responsive employees.

There seems to be a real stigmatism toward these places weaved in many of the threads dealing with paint, I think both places have product worth using and service that is equal to and in some case greater than the SW's and BM's of the world.

Mark
Oh boy, get ready to be vilified!

Personally, I'd love to buy my paint at the smaller, SW paint store. I'll buy local over national any day I can. But the one nearest to me is another 15 minutes beyond the Orange Box. Plus, said SW store was simply not willing to negotiate anything.

I guess some are fantastic, and some are not so good.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #10

I didn't mean to imply a paint-only store was the only right choice. Just wanted to let people know that they shouldn't hesitate to give one a try. I've been in tool supply and electric supply houses that weren't civilian friendly. Where they were put out if you came in without a part number ready and a business account to charge it against (and charge full msrp at that!). And that's fine, 99% of their business probably is pro contractors and such. But I had assumed the paint-only stores were the same and found out I couldn't have been more wrong.

Edit: I'll be visiting the local PPG store tomorrow since they carry Wooster (don't get to support Ohio products very often).

Last edited by twinrider1; 04-03-2011 at 10:38 PM.
twinrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider1 View Post
I didn't mean to imply a paint-only store was the only right choice. Just wanted to let people know that they shouldn't hesitate to give one a try. I've been in tool supply and electric supply houses that weren't civilian friendly. Where they were put out if you came in without a part number ready and a business account to charge it against (and charge full msrp at that!). And that's fine, 99% of their business probably is pro contractors and such. But I had assumed the paint-only stores were the same and found out I couldn't have been more wrong.
As with virtually everything, so much of it depends on the local owner/manager.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
Leah Frances (04-03-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 03:05 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Quote:

Just my 2 cents

Mark
The problems ( some of them) arise when they are staffed with persons that have no knowledge of painting or worse yet, think they do and hand out improper advise. I have seen and heard it many times.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #13

Am I missing something? All of the SW stores that I know of are not locally owned. They are corporate owned "units". My thoughts on my local SW stores are while they have good products their service and price points are less than good. Not to mention that they have a long history of bad reps. I split most of my business between two stores. One local and one corporate. My Ben Moore store is a "local" business. I get great products and service. The price point is pretty good. I also deal with Glidden Professional. I also get great products and service there. The price point is very good. I also think that the Devoe line is the best in industrial products.
kboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:27 AM   #14

To me "local" actually means a store owned by a "local" proprietor. For me that includes hardware stores that stock paint. I do try to give them as much business as possible but sometimes they don't carry a particular paint finish or they don't stock bonding primers. Then you have to go elsewhere. SW, HD, Lowe's, Ace, to me are nat'l franachises staffed by local people.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #15
Coatings Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
To me "local" actually means a store owned by a "local" proprietor. For me that includes hardware stores that stock paint. I do try to give them as much business as possible but sometimes they don't carry a particular paint finish or they don't stock bonding primers. Then you have to go elsewhere. SW, HD, Lowe's, Ace, to me are nat'l franachises staffed by local people.
SW, HD, and Lowes are all Corporations. There's no owner. The employees are local because they have to be. How many of their employees are full time? Usually just Managers.....thats it.

Ace is a Franchise

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote