Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
SPB

Rewards Points: 25

General Questions

I have a few questions:

1.) I had my walls professionally painted and they used a 1/2 inch nap Wooster superfab roller. I have to redo one of the rooms and was thinking of using a 1/2 inch nap roller again but want to make sure it will not create any most texture/stipple then is already on the wall. The 1/2 inch before created the maximum amount that I would like. Will using a half inch again keep the same amount that is currently on there?

2.) I have got 12 nails or screws that are poping out of the wall. They are on my stairwell going to the basement. I need to punch them back in and spackly over them but once they are spackled they will be very smooth about quarter sized spots. How do I get the bubbly texture on those spots that are on the rest of my walls before i repaint the whole wall so those spots are not always smooth? SHould I use a small 3 inch 1/2 nap roller since this is what is on there and roll on a few coats just over those spots or will it build up the texture around those spots and make it stand out more?

SPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Rewards Points: 150

General Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB View Post
I have a few questions:

1.) I had my walls professionally painted and they used a 1/2 inch nap Wooster superfab roller. I have to redo one of the rooms and was thinking of using a 1/2 inch nap roller again but want to make sure it will not create any most texture/stipple then is already on the wall. The 1/2 inch before created the maximum amount that I would like. Will using a half inch again keep the same amount that is currently on there?

2.) I have got 12 nails or screws that are poping out of the wall. They are on my stairwell going to the basement. I need to punch them back in and spackly over them but once they are spackled they will be very smooth about quarter sized spots. How do I get the bubbly texture on those spots that are on the rest of my walls before i repaint the whole wall so those spots are not always smooth? SHould I use a small 3 inch 1/2 nap roller since this is what is on there and roll on a few coats just over those spots or will it build up the texture around those spots and make it stand out more?
Hey SPB,

You may want to try the wooster Pro Classic. (1/2" nap Lambskin) available at Lowes for about $10.00. It is a tad better and more user friendly than the superfab. It will be perfect for your repaint.

Spot priming those nail pop's with a 3 inch X 1/2 roller is a good idea. Any quick dry latex primer will work. You can't really over stipple anything, unless you are using a real heavy nap roller cover.

Sounds like you have done your homework.

Kevin

Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
SPB

General Questions

Kevin,

If I re roll the wall with the 1/2 inch will the amount of texure/stipple stay the same as it is right now or be more? If i use a 3/8 roller will the sipple be less and the wall feel smoother than it currenlty does?

What is the benifit of the pro classic?

Also with the 3 inch 1/2 nap will this add more texture to the other ares that are not smooth that are around the nail holes that have been painted already? I guess I just dont want to put more stipple on the parts around it since I just want the texture to form on the spackled spot so it blends with the rest of the wall.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

General Questions

I work a lot with art galleries as clients. We put holes with all kinds of fasteners into walls with such passion and enthusiasm, I wonder if there is any wall left! Depending on what kinds of walls, I patch them with plaster, drywall compound but never, ever with spackle.

Unless your walls are semi-gloss or something? Nobody is going to notice that you went over your wall with a QUALITY paint and a 3/8 or 1/2 roller cover. If you are really worried, add some Floetrol to latex paint. It will level out the surface. I use it religiously for trim but not usually with flat or satin. No reason it would not serve the same purpose though.

You do not need to invest $10 in a lambswool roller cover. That is nonsense. Got to the PAINT STORE, not the BOX STORE and get a decent contractor grade roller cover or too for $3-4 each retail?

Spackle is a term that sends shivers up the spines of painters in the US. I understand it may mean something different in the UK? What you want to use, is what we call drywall compound here. It comes pre-mixed or in bags with different setting times. The spackle we have in the US is a foam type stuff with no stability or dimensional characteristics you cannot sand or do much with. Students use it to try to get rent deposits back.

Set those nails and screws that are popping back below the surface. Be aggressive! Good news is that while spackle here is outrageously expensive, drywall compound is dirt cheap! Then invest in at least a 4-6" drywall knife and apply a couple of layers over them. Let them dry completely between each. You can either sand the dried excess off with sandpaper or use the wet sand method with a large sponge or nice towel to get off the excess. You will learn early on that it is easier to put on in thin layers than it is to heap it on and have to sand it off.

You should prime over the patches so go ahead and use a roller cover if worried about the texture? Let the primer dry. Toss the $3 roller cover and don't waste gallons and gallons of fresh water washing it out.

Put on a spot coat of paint over the patches. Let it dry. Wrap the roller cover in plastic and stick it in the frig if you are not going to get back at the project for awhile. Put one more coat over everything when you can and you should be good to go!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,088

General Questions

I have got 12 nails or screws

Big difference on how to go about fixing them.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
SPB

General Questions

I am located in the US.

If I were to leave the nail pops will they come out further or are they more than likely going to stay the same?

So if I currently have a half inch roller used on the wall for my last coat will I add more stipple by putting on another coat with the 1/2 inch or will it stay the same? I had used 3/8 before and notice a big difference when going to the 1/2.

And if set the nail pops and fill them in smooth and use a smaller roller to roll over just those spots with a half inch nap roller will I build up texture around the spots?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

General Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I have got 12 nails or screws

Big difference on how to go about fixing them.
Lost you on this comment Chris. Internet provider cut you off before you could finish? I have boxes of each if you need a baker's dozen or something.

Last edited by user1007; 01-13-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
SPB

General Questions

They are screws I have been told by the builder. Since the house is over 4 years old will they more than likely stay where they are? They aren't terrible and plus I am going to go to a lower sheen paint like a Matte. Will this make them less noticable?
Old 01-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

General Questions

If it were my house, or my project, I would see if you could set those screw heads under the surface. The dryqaller got lazy, the screws bit back, and he/she did not set them. Wack the H out of them with a hammer if your screw gun will not set them under the surface.

You are fretting too much about matching the existiing texture. If you roll on promer, roll on a coat of paint over that, and then roll on a final finsish coat? Only you, on anal retentive and hyper critical days, will notice any difference in the texture of the wall.

Again, I do work for galleries and then help light exhibitions with bright halogens. Nobody has mentioned any of the wall repairs yet!

For example:

http://www.cinemagallery.cc/history_gallery.html

Noone would find any place I patched a wall but do you think they would really be looking for nail pops?

Last edited by user1007; 01-13-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Added URLS
Old 01-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,088

General Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Lost you on this comment Chris. Internet provider cut you off before you could finish? I have boxes of each if you need a baker's dozen or something.

Sorry, the OP said he had 12 nails or screws. I was saying that there is a different way to fix one or the other.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote