General Painting Info For Beginers - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

General painting info for beginers

I've been trying to wade through the ocean of painting info and drowning.

Where are the best places to get some good beginner info on what, how, and such?

I've done my own home repair and maintenance for years at this rental house mainly due to a horrible and cheap landlord. But, since it is a rental I've never painted anything (not allowed).

Our new home will need a complete outside painting. Every interior wall will also need primer and paint. The interior is all 30 year old paneling. We thought about removing it to drywall, but I know some of the drywall underneath is damaged. So, we're opting to paint the paneling.

Funds are not unlimited and may just not get done before the move. Though we do have two months before we have to move in, so I do have time on my side.

Advertisement

Catdaddyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 738

Check out the Search section on this site or just go to the painting section.
There's thousand of post just on first time painters.

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

I would remove the paneling, fix the drywll, and then paint. Painting paneling will be a PIA, and will not enhance the value of your home, IMHO.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hit your library for all kinds of books on painting and home improvement. Some are quite good. You cannot beat the price!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

When you say paneling I assume you mean the cheap 50s60s stuff and not some sort of real wood that suffers mainly from being dated?

You can fill in the grooves of the cheap stuff and then prime and paint. Sometimes it does not look like you have painted over panelling. It is better to get it out of your way and if it was nailed up this will go quickly. If it is glued up you have a real challenge getting it and then the glue off without really chewing up the drywall.

Best thing you can do at this point is to make a triage list of the things you have to fix when you take occupancy and the things you will fix as money and time are availed.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,310

Our very own JSheridan has some great links full of info.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Hit your library for all kinds of books on painting and home improvement. Some are quite good. You cannot beat the price!

are there still library's?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Here is a very good source of information to explore:
http://www.paintquality.com/
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #9

Thanks for the links. I'll get to reading.

Most of the paneling is nailed up. but some pieces have been glued where they tried to pull away from the wall. It was evidently high end stuff installed by a professional back in the day. But it used to be my grandfathers house and he is definitely a ducktape and WD40 type of guy. So, any repairs made have been done a cheaply and quickly as possible. There are lots of "it'll do for now" repairs.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #10

Just to chime in here........I know paneling can be a bear to remove.......but, in the end, what's underneath can be repaired and will look a whole lot better than painted paneling. Don't get me wrong, paneling can be painted and it can actually look pretty darn good, but, if you ever go to sell, buyers are going to want drywall and not paneling. Just make sure the paneling is clean and free of wax or other cleaners. The old timers sometimes put waxy cleaners such as PLEDGE, etc. and primer has a hard time sticking to that stuff. Zinsser's 1-2-3 primer is great for paneling. You need something that will bond to it. In some cases, you will need an oil-based primer if you have paneling that tends to bleed through the primer leaving tea-colored stains that can't be painted over. Sometimes the only way to tell is to prime with the latex Zinsser and see what happens. Once you figure out the priming situation, you can topcoat with your favorite paint. I like Sherwin-Williams SuperPaint Satin.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 83

When I bought my home there were two rooms with paneling. I painted both and said "I'll remove it after we move in". Ha, 9 years later I'm sitting here still looking at painted paneling and I wish I had just removed it 9 years ago. It doesn't look horrible, but I'd rather be looking a smooth walls.

If you have the time, I'd also suggest removing the paneling and repairing the walls then paint, You will be glad you did.
JMDPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdaddyxx View Post
I've been trying to wade through the ocean of painting info and drowning.
What parts are causing the drowning? Painting isn't rocket science...

Quote:
Where are the best places to get some good beginner info on what, how, and such?
Right here!

Quote:
Our new home will need a complete outside painting.Every interior wall will also need primer and paint. The interior is all 30 year old paneling. We thought about removing it to drywall, but I know some of the drywall underneath is damaged. So, we're opting to paint the paneling.
I guess to be blunt, do it right. Remove the paneling, fix the drywall, then paint. Don't spend money painting paneling that you'll remove in a few years anyways.

Quote:
Funds are not unlimited and may just not get done before the move. Though we do have two months before we have to move in, so I do have time on my side.
Removing paneling does not cost much if anything at all. A bucket of drywall compound and some tools if you don't have them... Compare this to the cost of paint at $75 per 5g bucket, the paint here is the cost. Removing the paneling and fixing first is just your time. So if time is on your side but money is not, then don't rush to spend money on painting paneling. Take your time, remove the panels then paint at your convenience.

The outside is a different story. It's just way more work than an interior. You'll have to budget for this. Budget for either A) a lot of time, or B) to hire it out.
SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,700

I'll add my $.02 remove the paneling. Now would be the time and I think if you don't remove it you will always wish you had.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #14

I guess we're just scared of what we will find underneath. People talk about the cost of repairing drywall and with the exception of the bathrooms the entire house is covered in it.

Here is what I'm working with

Woodgrain stuff in Living area, hallway, kitchen, and laundry
This is the living area

Pin striped crap that is in both bedrooms
Old 04-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #15

Yikes, shades of a 1960's twilight zone living room. It's a tough call on this one, cat daddy. The paneling looks to be in pretty good shape. Maybe try taking it off in the corner to the right of the fireplace to see what you're up against. Usually after many years, even if it's been glued and nailed up, the glue hardens and becomes brittle behind the paneling and with some elbow grease, usually comes loose. If it's a bear to get off, well, you know maybe to hold off for now. Just a thought.

Advertisement