Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #1

Share |

Garage wooden trim

I'm finding that just about every other summer that I have to paint my garage trim. Should I look into getting vinyl trim or some other material instead? Is that common or what do most people do? Add trim just on the outside or the inside parts as well?

valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #2

Garage wooden trim

You could get it wrapped in aluminum coil or change out the wood for PVC.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #3

Garage wooden trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
You could get it wrapped in aluminum coil or change out the wood for PVC.
I'm not your average hand an so I wanted to get an idea of both options. How would they be installed ? Which is the most economical? Are they equal as far as long term solutions that do not have to be painted?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #4

Garage wooden trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpd View Post
I'm not your average hand an so I wanted to get an idea of both options. How would they be installed ? Which is the most economical? Are they equal as far as long term solutions that do not have to be painted?
I meant "handyman"
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #5

Garage wooden trim

There is a reason it is needing paint every couple years. That is not normal. From what I can see in the first pic it looks like the flashing above the window is not doing it's job, or there may be some chaulking missing. Seems like if you just wrap or clad the trim you may be forcing the water to find another way out such as into the wall where it could do a lot more damage.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #6

Garage wooden trim

Coil stock is a roll of painted aluminum that is bent onsite to fit the contours of your trim. It does not need repainting. It's best installed by a professional.

PVC is handled like wood. It can be cut, nailed, screwed like regular wood. A common brand is Azek. PVC can be left unpainted. I like the screw and plug method for fastening for a clean look, but you can nail it and cover the nail holes.
http://www.fastenmaster.com/details/...-pvc-trim.html

Cost will vary depending upon your area. PVC is expensive but in the long run you save on maintenance.

Last edited by djlandkpl; 04-07-2013 at 06:23 PM.
djlandkpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #7

Garage wooden trim

Quote:
Coil stock is a roll of painted aluminum that is bent onsite to fit the contours of your trim. It's best installed by a professional.

PVC is handled like wood. It can be cut, nailed, screwed like regular wood. A common brand is Azek. PVC can be left unpainted. I like the screw and plug method for fastening for a clean look, but you can nail it and cover the nail holes.
http://www.fastenmaster.com/details/...-pvc-trim.html

Cost will vary depending upon your area. PVC is expensive but in the long run you save on maintenance.
Otherwise what would be a good primer and paint to use? I am leaning more in that direction. This is an area where kids play (basketballs hit this area often). Sounds like the way to go to pay less, but not cause more damage as you mentioned. Its in the 50's here now. OK for painting?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #8

Garage wooden trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpd View Post
Otherwise what would be a good primer and paint to use? I am leaning more in that direction. This is an area where kids play (basketballs hit this area often). Sounds like the way to go to pay less, but not cause more damage as you mentioned. Its in the 50's here now. OK for painting?
Wait for one of the pro painters to comment. ToolSeeker has a good point about water causing damage. It doesn't look like there's any flashing where the siding meets the trim.
Gymschu (04-08-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #9

Garage wooden trim

Quote:

Wait for one of the pro painters to comment. ToolSeeker has a good point about water causing damage. It doesn't look like there's any flashing where the siding meets the trim.
Help me understand what flashing is. Thanks
Old 04-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #10

Garage wooden trim

It's called drip cap flashing. It keeps water from getting behind the siding and causing rot. Water that comes down from the siding hits the flashing and is sent out over the trim. Without it, water can be pushed back towards the house and go behind the trim.

Since you are repainting frequently, water is probably getting behind the trim and causing the paint to fail.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #11

Garage wooden trim

Quote:
It's called drip cap flashing. It keeps water from getting behind the siding and causing rot. Water that comes down from the siding hits the flashing and is sent out over the trim. Without it, water can be pushed back towards the house and go behind the trim.

Since you are repainting frequently, water is probably getting behind the trim and causing the paint to fail.
I live a huge subdivision and I don't see one house that has this. Its gotta be something else.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #12

Garage wooden trim

Just because the others don't have it doesn't make it right.
joecaption (04-08-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #13

Garage wooden trim

Quote:
Just because the others don't have it doesn't make it right.
I hear you. I guess for now I'm looking for a good solution to prime and paint it.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #14

Garage wooden trim

For the most part, whenever paint fails down to bare wood, it's moisture related. There was an error installing that siding. As already stated, you need to get a piece of flashing up behind that first course of siding above the garage door. Also, where is the J-channel that the first course sits in? That's usually all they put there and it stops a lot, but it should be combined with flashing. Look at your neighbor's houses to see if they have J on theirs.
Why do I see it in the bottom pic but not the top?
Also, you need to caulk all the open gaps on the frame. Since a lot of door frames fail where they meet the ground, because the carpenters who tell us how to paint don't seal the cut ends of the framing before they install it, you need to caulk the door frame to the ground to stop the moisture.
First thing you need to do is stop the inflow of water. Then take a piece of eighty weight sandpaper and give it a good scraping and sanding, prime all bare wood with a quality exteriro primer, and finish with a quality exterior paint.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (04-08-2013), Gymschu (04-08-2013), ToolSeeker (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #15

Garage wooden trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
For the most part, whenever paint fails down to bare wood, it's moisture related. There was an error installing that siding. As already stated, you need to get a piece of flashing up behind that first course of siding above the garage door. Also, where is the J-channel that the first course sits in? That's usually all they put there and it stops a lot, but it should be combined with flashing. Look at your neighbor's houses to see if they have J on theirs.
Why do I see it in the bottom pic but not the top?
Also, you need to caulk all the open gaps on the frame. Since a lot of door frames fail where they meet the ground, because the carpenters who tell us how to paint don't seal the cut ends of the framing before they install it, you need to caulk the door frame to the ground to stop the moisture.
First thing you need to do is stop the inflow of water. Then take a piece of eighty weight sandpaper and give it a good scraping and sanding, prime all bare wood with a quality exteriro primer, and finish with a quality exterior paint.
Can you give me an example of the quality primer and paint that you are referring to ?