Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #1

Share |
Garage Floor Paint System

I am planning to coat my garage floor. I have seen two systems one is the two part expoy (Kwikrete, Rust-o-leum, or Behr) and the other is ar single part paint with and a special adhesive primer (Behr and H-C).

The HC brand is for sale at Lowes and Sherwin Williams stores. Neither sale person had experience with it. After reading the instructions the biggest fdifference between the two is the cure time, 3 days for the two part and minimum 7 days for the single part w/ primer system. Any recomendations?

alan0916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Avoid the Behr at all cost.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #3

acid etch the concrete as a preparation for install.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Sprayboy-services.com

I used the Kwikcrete and it looks great until you use the floor. Scratches like hell in no time. Unacceptable for a laundry room or garage floor.
Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Get estimates from someone who does garage floors come out and tell you what laying down a nice, epoxy floor for you will cost. Choose colors and patterns of your choice. It will be cheaper than DIY in the long run and you will like it better. And the folks work with such things everyday. You will be mixing parts A&B of epoxies in a bucket, getting bubble, having it cure on you too fast or not at all. A pro will have equipment to mix A&B as it is applied.

If you do want to do it yourself, at least buy good stuff. Home Depot ain't not never, never, never gonna carry it because they need stuff they can mark up from $2/gallon to $50. Why not at least buy something that costs more to manufacture and is sold for quality rather than profit margin?

http://www.abatron.com/cms/buildinga...nproducts.html

http://uscoatingsolutions.com/interior-paint.html

If you must ignore advice and buy box store crap? At least check the expiration dates on what you purchase. Especially if you go with epoxies. If the the stuff is old and beyond the expiration date or if it was stored improperly it will never catalyze and you will have one sticky gooey mess. Just read some of the recent countertop horror stories on this site.

Last edited by user1007; 02-16-2010 at 01:26 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
acid etch the concrete as a preparation for install.
Don't start acid etching concrete until you are sure you have to do so. And remember, the acids for such things are not for the casual DIYer! Be sure you have appropriate safety boots and other attire. An aspirator with a cartridge for the acid fumes would be a good idea too!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #7

Good advice isn't always pretty. You guys gave me some food for thought. I think I will investigate a bit more before DIY'n the garage floor. Maybe indoor/outdoor carpet will be better.
alan0916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0916 View Post
Maybe indoor/outdoor carpet will be better.
For a yiddish community in Florida perhaps!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0916 View Post
Good advice isn't always pretty. You guys gave me some food for thought. I think I will investigate a bit more before DIY'n the garage floor.
Quote:
Maybe indoor/outdoor carpet will be better
+2

Kevin
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #10

The 2 part epoxy mixes are almost always going to be better. "Home Depot ain't not never, never, never gonna carry it " 100% agree.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #11

I used the Rustoleum 2-part from Lowes and did not get any peeling until my Dad pulled his Corvette in with extra hot sticky tires. The peeling was minimal but still bugs me. Overall I thought the process was easy though, 99% preparation. The floor was so clean you could have eaten off it before I painted it.
Jawbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #12

Two part epoxy will be a better product. Look into the industrial lines that either SW or Ben Moore have...

This is what we have and works very well, can be mixed in all the BM colors.....but as stated the prep work is key for any garage coating to stick and last...

Epoxy by BM

Good Luck
BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #13

There are alot of things that can go wrong. A few things to keep in mind. Concrete has to be at least one month old. If concrete was sealed, dont bother painting unless you grind it. Is there a vapor barrier under concrete. If no, possible paint failure due to vapor pressure. Do not use the cute little kits with the flakes. For the same money you can buy a higher quality solvent based epoxy from a paint store, not a hardware store.
paintpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #14

Thumbs up

We have been professionally installing epoxy garage floors since 2004.

Look at our web site: http://www.squidoo.com/epoxygaragefloors for a thorough discussion of hardware store epoxy kits vs professional materials. (You will regret putting down one of the $99 kits within a year or two.)

I would recommend against using indoor/outdoor carpet in your garage. We have torn up several in preparation for an epoxy floors and all are filthy dirty. You don't realize how much dirt blows in or comes in on the car tires and I doubt that you will be vacuuming your garage floor as frequently as you do your home carpets.

Carpets also hold in water and make an excellent place for mold to grow.

Patrick Dowd
California Concrete Restoration
Laguna Hills, CA
calconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #15
Sprayboy-services.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by calconcrete View Post
We have been professionally installing epoxy garage floors since 2004.

Look at our web site: http://www.squidoo.com/epoxygaragefloors for a thorough discussion of hardware store epoxy kits vs professional materials. (You will regret putting down one of the $99 kits within a year or two.)

I would recommend against using indoor/outdoor carpet in your garage. We have torn up several in preparation for an epoxy floors and all are filthy dirty. You don't realize how much dirt blows in or comes in on the car tires and I doubt that you will be vacuuming your garage floor as frequently as you do your home carpets.

Carpets also hold in water and make an excellent place for mold to grow.

Patrick Dowd
California Concrete Restoration
Laguna Hills, CA

$99.00? That would be an expensive kit. Try $69.00

Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote