Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Garage Floor Paint/Epoxy

Hey guys - looking for some of your great feedback. I just finished cleaning up the basement - painting the block walls and concrete floor to keep it neat and better looking until I formally finish it.

Now I am on to the garage and was looking to figure out what would be the best option for the flooring. In my previous home I tried many of the latex products and the rustoleum 2 part epoxy product. Even though I followed the prep instructions I always experienced hot tire pick up and once that started the integrity of the floor just went to hell. In my current house (about 15 years old) the garage floor has never been finished so I am sure I will need to clean thoroughly, possibly etch and remove all grease stains and fill all cracks.

My question is what is the best product to use - there seems to be a bunch of conflicting reviews and opinions on epoxy versus concrete stain and I am very confused! I was originally going to go with U Coat It, however I saw some conflicting reviews where there were some problems with that product, I also looked at the wolverine products, and something called Roll on Rock (?). Bottom line is I want a real nice job that will hold up to hot tire and stay looking good for years to come. Any opinions on epoxy versus stain? Do any of these products really hold up? I hate to say cost is not an issue but I am willing to pay for the right product.

Thanks for your input!

meth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Garage Floor Paint/Epoxy

I would not recommend stain. These are generally acrylic based and silicone modified. There are a mess to get up later and I don't think they'll hold up that well for your situation. As for epoxy, two part industrials are best. Carboline makes a nice one that you pour out and squeegee into place. Then roll over it with a pin roller to smooth it out. This is a 100% solid product. Think spray in bed liner for your floor. It's similar but not quite the same. That's one of the toughest finishes you could do but it's expensive and not user friendly application. The next step down would be a normal two part epoxy floor paint (industrial, not the DIY Lowe's junk). These are pretty tough and more user friendly to apply. Next down on the list is a one part high solids urethane coating, also an industrial finish. I sell one from Pratt & Lambert. It's pricey but we've had very good luck with it. It's proven to be just as tough as your standard two part industrial epoxies so far and it a lot easier to use. Just roll on two coats, one across the other. No pot life to deal with, no mixing of the two parts. The worse thing about this stuff is the fumes. It's definitely harsh.

poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #3

Garage Floor Paint/Epoxy

Thanks - I think I will stay away from the stain, I will go with a more industrial product, however since I will be doing it myself it need to be a DIY'er. I'm okay with the 2 part systems, however maybe I will look into the product you mentioned as well. Does it have a specific name from Pratt &Lam? Again, I'm most concerned with hot tire pick up and the longevity of the product
Old 12-24-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
Doer of Many Things

Garage Floor Paint/Epoxy

Here is the product link to it.
http://prattandlambert.com/products/...loor/index.jsp

A co-worker used it in his best friend's new garage about 8 months ago. If there had been any issues at all with it, we'd have heard pretty quickly. The stuff only comes high gloss but we found that if you apply one coat normally then apply the second coat with SharkGrip texture added to it, the sheen gets knocked down to a nice satin finish and you have better traction on it as well.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #5

Garage Floor Paint/Epoxy

thank you for the link - I will certainly research it along with the others mentioned. I'm sure that after the holiday some of the others on the board will chime in with some suggestions as well.

thanks again!
Old 12-25-2008, 06:00 AM   #6

Garage Floor Paint/Epoxy

wow, wish i'd seen this advice the 1st time - no stain, huh ??? darn & i've had it on our garage floor for 3 months w/o any problem don't know where some information comes from but acid-reactive concrete stains're water-based & mixed w/hydrochloric acid in a fairly mild strength,,, color comes from the mineral salt's reaction w/free lime in the cement ( cement's an ingredient of concrete, remember ? ),,, other stains using wtr ONLY are call'd 'water-bas'd stains',,, we also have conc dyes based on another carrier,,, we generally use solvent-bas'd 50% solids high weight methylacrylate to seal however, in my garage, we used urethane - same stuff we roll onto epoxy floors to protect the epoxy.

apron store mtl's water-bas'd which doesn't mean its a bad product,,, their normal customers're dumb as a box of rocks & a CHEAP BAS***** to boot !!! jobs usually fail because of 1, POOR PREP; 2, wrong mtl selected; 3, incorrect application method; & 4, poor prep ! ! !

never have run into any 'silicone modified' mtls used for conc repairs OR coatings,,, whether you use 2part OR 3part, do a moisture test 1st,,, we apply urethane OVER epoxy for protection,,, there're new polyaspartics which're much faster 'n' stronger than epoxy/urethane - typical garage = 1 day's work & the stuff cures down to -38f, i believe,,, all in all, you get what you pay for: 1, good prep isn't cheap; 2, cheap mtls promote failure; 3, NOT having the right equip's critical to success; & 4, most h/o-diy jobs fail because the operator ( that's we, guys ! )

as we often mention, the cheapest part on a bmw motorbike's the rider Merry Christmas ! ! !

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
Doer of Many Things

Garage Floor Paint/Epoxy

There are different types of concrete stains out there. Some much better than others. The most common I've seen in any store is a silicone modified acrylic, like H&C for example. Those are the ones I'd definitely steer clear of.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
the Musigician

Garage Floor Paint/Epoxy

i like this stuff
http://www.daichcoatings.com/Design%...ject34_jpg.htm

DM
Old 12-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #9

Garage Floor Paint/Epoxy

as has recently been told to me by my down-the-street local sher-wms store mgr, s-w bought h&c,,, they also own min-wax & dulux,,, never have used h&c but have often repaired/removed/replaced it,,, most pro's don't use it but painters (who think conc stains're their work) & some other wanna-bee's do.

imn-s-hfo, acid-reactive stains're the absolute best altho some artisans are showing good work w/more eco-friendly stains.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #10

Garage Floor Paint/Epoxy

Thanks for the continued input. yesitsconcrete, can you supply a link to a product that you would recommend? I would like to look up a particular product and do some research. Dangermouse - thanks I will look at that link as well.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #11

Garage Floor Paint/Epoxy

elitecrete.com'll get you to a distributor,,, look thru it - could open a new life for you,,, look especially at polyaspartics - sparticall !

btw, no financial interest,,, happy new year !
Old 12-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #12

Garage Floor Paint/Epoxy

Thanks - I will look into it. I am also interested in the daichcoatings product, so we'll see where the research takes me and what other feedback we receive on this forum
Old 12-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #13

Garage Floor Paint/Epoxy

Other than making sure the concrete is really clean, what all is involved in preparing it to ensure that the epoxy (or other product will adhere? I saw a show on HGTV where the homeowner had a contractor put down an epoxy floor and the contractor used some kind of machine to prep the concrete. Is that typical?
Greytguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:25 AM   #14

Garage Floor Paint/Epoxy

rarely watch hgtv especially after participating in some tv segments,,, typical editing makes watchers think they could diy immediately,,, if the learning curve were that easy, everyone'd be doing it,,, YES, its typical that we either ( grind - scarify - etch ) to be certain the receiving surface's ' really clean ',,, w/o seeing the actual floor, i have no idea what process we'd pick as all floors're different even tho they share common denominators,,, good prep's the MOST important item,,, w/o it, everything that follow's a waste of time & $,,, repairing/replacing poor work makes the installation of a good job more expensive & labor/equipment intensive.

what's not screen'd is an evaluation process incl product selection, rising moisture test, & reasons for product selection,,, unfortunately, its difficult to gain hands-on experience from watching tv, dvd's, websites, & labels,,, altho some have luck, its usually a dart game & the success ring's small compared to the rest of the board,,, but good luck, nevertheless !
Old 12-31-2008, 03:29 AM   #15

Garage Floor Paint/Epoxy

mouse may like that product but, amongst the pro's, it doesn't rate highly as most of us feel there're better products containing better mtls're avail to us,,, but typically we all guarantee our work.

personally, i prefer to buy american, too !