Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #1

Share |

Garage floor epoxy paint, temperature

I have Rust Oleum Epoxy Shield for garage floors. I got this for free or would not be doing floor. Good neighbor bought 2 car kit and only used half and gave me other half.

Anyway, I am in FL where the temp runs mid 70's and up. Product is temperature sensitive and will give me about 1 1/2 hour pot life if I start early in the day.

Why can't I put the can in a cooler with some ice to extend the working time? My thought is mix at ambient temp, wait 10 min as per instructions, put 1/3 in pan to cut in with and start rolling, put remaining 2/3 in cooler with some ice.
JIm

jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #2

I think putting the mixed batch in an ice bath will disrupt the chemical process.

Maybe it would be better to rent a portable air conditioner / fan and start really, really early

BTW, is your garage floor free from oil and other residue? Also, last time I checked, some of these floor paint kits peel off easily when you park a car that was driven for a while (hot tires I guess).

allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
I have Rust Oleum Epoxy Shield for garage floors. I got this for free or would not be doing floor. Good neighbor bought 2 car kit and only used half and gave me other half.

Anyway, I am in FL where the temp runs mid 70's and up. Product is temperature sensitive and will give me about 1 1/2 hour pot life if I start early in the day.

Why can't I put the can in a cooler with some ice to extend the working time? My thought is mix at ambient temp, wait 10 min as per instructions, put 1/3 in pan to cut in with and start rolling, put remaining 2/3 in cooler with some ice.
JIm
Hiya Jim,

Rustoleum makes several products under the EpoxyShield label, so I'm going to assume this is the garage floor kit - a water-borne, 2 component, amine cured epoxy - yes?

If so, this kit is going to cover approximately 250 square feet over properly prepared concrete. If the concrete is prepared properly (and that point is r-e-a-l important) and everything is out of the garage, trimming and rolling 250 square feet should really take no more than an hour which is well within the recommended pot life.

Although it's NOT recommended by Rustoleum to do so, you can slow the curing process by cooling it down - so how long do you want to slow it? If you're talking an hour or so, I'd say go for it...if any longer, I'd recommend you consider a different type of coating for your garage floor - or not paint it at all. Catalyzed epoxies are high performance coatings - and are capable of providing all the protection they boast on their labels and tech data sheets - If applied in strict accordance to the package directions.

As is true with any catalyzed product, there is a delicate balance between the solid components, the catalyst and solvents - you mess with the properties and functions of any one of the components, you risk sabotaging the ability for this coating to perform in the manner unique to epoxies.

Final answer to your q - You can / I wouldn't. Best of luck to you whatever you decide, and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by ric knows paint; 09-15-2012 at 02:27 PM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses. Think I will skip trying to alter the molecular structure of the universe and just paint fast. JIm

Last edited by jjrbus; 09-15-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #5

I was concerned about time, to cut in and roll floor and spread flakes this is Rust Oleum 2 part water borne 2 part epoxy, took me just under an hour. T

This is a 1 car 11x23 garage. I had a bit more paint left then I would like, about a 1/2 pint and just barely had enough flakes.

In hindsight I would use a leaf blower to spread the flakes. HTH JIm