Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #1

Share |

Garage Epoxy Floor - Mess Up

Hi Team,
Searched the forums and didn't find anyone who messed up like I did...

Spent the day yesterday putting epoxy paint down on the floor in my garage.
All went well. Cleaned and prepped the floor like a champ before touching the paint.
Fast forward to today and I start losing my marbles...

I was looking at the floor after the appropriate time passed where I could walk on it, and noticed some areas where I didn't do the best job with the sprinkles (flecks). Meaning some spots were pretty sparse.
So I had the brilliant idea to take the bit of epoxy paint I had left, mix it up, brush some on those areas, and sprinkle away...I know...

So as the paint dried I was wondering why it was duller than the rest of the floor, then lightning struck...

Question is, how could I fix it?
I can think of 3 potential ways.

1. I did not apply a clear top coat. If I do, think it will create consistency in the shininess? What I gather from what I read is I do not sand it since it's a new install.

2. Go get more epoxy paint. Mix a new batch up, paint over the dull spots with a brush. Sprinkle. Then apply clear top coat all over.

3. Sand the whole floor with wet 600. Dull the whole thing up... Apply clear top coat.

Any votes on my options, or additional ideas, would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Blake

B Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Question is, how could I fix it?
I can think of 3 potential ways.

1. I did not apply a clear top coat. If I do, think it will create consistency in the shininess? What I gather from what I read is I do not sand it since it's a new install.

2. Go get more epoxy paint. Mix a new batch up, paint over the dull spots with a brush. Sprinkle. Then apply clear top coat all over.

3. Sand the whole floor with wet 600. Dull the whole thing up... Apply clear top coat.

Or #4:

leave it alone, it's a stupid floor in the garage for petes' sake, not your formal dining room table!
In two months you won't tell the difference anyway when mud and dirt from the cars, skuffs from shoes, dirt and dust get on it.

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-09-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #3

I would, but it's more noticeable than that.
Since I am someone who would take the time to put epoxy paint on my garage floor with freaking sprinkles, it would be reasonable to assume I would like it to look good.
Thank you for the thought. It would be easiest just to let it be, but I would like to fix it.

Anyone else have thoughts?

cheers,
Blake
Old 05-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rich--I'm going to move this to 'paint'----there you will get solid answers---Mike----
B Rich (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #5

Check the spec sheet on your epoxy. A lot of epoxy has a window of time ( a number of days) in which it can be recoated. If the window is closed, you will need to abrade, or take other steps before re coating. If not, you can just put a clear on to even out the sheen. Make sure the clear is compatible with the epoxy you used.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
B Rich (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Rich View Post
Since I am someone who would take the time to put epoxy paint on my garage floor with freaking sprinkles, it would be reasonable to assume I would like it to look good.
Exactly. I don't know what Wolff was thinking. Anyway, I would think the poly cover would even out the sheen.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
B Rich (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #7

Great replies.
I was outside the window.
I've got about a dozen one foot long, paintbrush (4inches) wide dull spots around the floor.
And a vote (response) for...
Top coat will even it out
And
Top coat will cause the spots to still show.

How about trying to top coat just the spots. Let that dry. Then top coat the whole floor?

Thank you all for the help so far!
Blake

P.s. any recommendations on a good top coat to get (not looking to start a brand war. Just some recommendations...
Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #8

What "lightning" struck you? What type of epoxy did you use, one part, two part? If you mixed it right, why would the touch ups be duller? Can you just "whip" up some epoxy and touch-up? I think you need to tell us some more and discuss this a little further before you go compounding something. Besides, a clear will add sheen, but it will also show and enhance whatever sheen is already there. It might reduce the differences you have now but it's not going to eliminate them.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #9

I used Rustoleum epoxy for garages. Tan color.
Once you mix part A and Part B you have 2 hours of pot time to paint the floor. Where the hardened and other components will be of the appropriate liquid form to use as paint.
I had some part A and Part B still mixed together the next day that I used to touch up about a dozen spots on the floor as described above...
The lightning that struck, is that once these touch ups dried I realized that I had used the epoxy well beyond it's pot time. And that is why these areas dried dull. Where the rest of the floor dried shiny.
So, Lightning = this realization. Think light bulb going off...

At this point I am thinking of getting and mixing another part A and B of the same rustoleum. Lightly covering the dull spots. Then once it has dried, adding a clear top coat to the entire floor. I believe this will give me the best shot at evening the appearance out.

Unless there is an easier way someone can think of?

Also, can flecks be added to clear top coat?

Thank you to Everyone who has taken the time to read through this!
Blake
Old 05-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #10

Attached is a picture for reference.
Blake
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Epoxy Floor - Mess Up-picture006.jpg  
Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

First off, something like a clear poly is never going to stick for long to an epoxy resin so don't even think of it to even out the sheen. You will be picking up chunks of poly on your car tires within first contact.

Curing epoxy involves more heat than people realize in the chemical reaction that cures it. Many have found out the hard way mixing epoxy or polyester resin in a plastic cup only to find the cup melts. This is more noticeable, perhaps, with two part epoxy but it is there with one part as well. You may be seeing a difference in sheen because the heat from the catalytic reaction in your second/repair coat has transferred down into the first coat. As the heat dissipates, the surface MAY repair itself, at least to the point where it does not bother you so much. You may also have changed the structure of the base coat with the added catalytic reaction if you applied it too soon.

I think you have to wait this out for at least the recommended cure time on the product label? Perhaps there is a window where you can coat the whole thing before waiting for it to cure. I do not know the product you used well enough to advise. Call their customer support line. I think you mentioned Rustoleum? I have heard they are helpful. You are no doubt not the first person to face this!

If it comes to the point where you have to clear coat it? I am guessing you are probably going to have to use something akin to the epoxy resin you used in the first place to accomplish any bond or adhesion. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I know situations like this more from restoring boats than doing garage floors. Products you need next may hide at a boatyard.

Other option is to make sure you are not sweating this beyond a rational point? I too used to be a perfectionist until I really did learn it was not worth the stress. Just park one of these family station wagons over the top and I promise nobody will notice the floor.

Last edited by user1007; 05-08-2013 at 11:54 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
RWolff (05-09-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #12

Thank you SD for the detailed response.
Wouldn't the chemical reaction be done if the two part epoxy sat mixed in the paint can for 24/30hours?
There was only about two inches worth left in the can.
And because the hardening reaction time had past, I was basically left with somewhat regular paint. Which is why it dried dull/matte finish?

Not as familiar with this process, so my terminology may be wrong. But I have just been thinking trough what you said.
And since the base coat had not fully cured, it accepted the somewhat regular paint on top. Now that the base should be cured. I have these spots left of this dull paint.

Where those areas may accept some type of clear coat, but the base would repel it.
Giving me an opportunity to spray on a clear coat, and have it just stick to these few touched up areas?

Perhaps something high temp resistant. Like automotive high temp clear coat?

Now I am thinking all over the place, but just trying to get creative.

Blake
Old 05-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
First off, something like a clear poly is never going to stick for long to an epoxy resin so don't even think of it to even out the sheen.
These systems are sold with poly in the kit, and they are designed to do exactly that. Mine hasn't changed at all in my garage for 4 years.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
B Rich (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
These systems are sold with poly in the kit, and they are designed to do exactly that. Mine hasn't changed at all in my garage for 4 years.
OP, Jeff apparently knows the product so I would listen to him. If it comes with a poly of some kind that will stick, go for it.

As mentioned, I have never used it. I usually call the guys that mix the epoxy parts A&B in the truck and spray the surface on the floor at just the right temp and with assurance all air bubbles will be out of it. Cheaper than me charging a client to deal with it all.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #15

Just picked up the clear coat by Rustoleum.
Crazy, it was more expensive than the original kit. But that's fine so long as it turns out.
I will post an update once done.
thank you again everyone,
Blake