Garage Drywall Painting - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005, 07:35 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Garage drywall painting


Hi all. I came upon this site via contractortalk.com. In signing up for the forums there I noticed that one must be a contractor, and the DIY'ers need to register and post here. Frankly, I'd much rather post my question there as the activity and level of expertise seem much better than at this site. But, beggars can't be choosers!

Okay, on to the topic at hand. I'm gearing up to paint my interior garage walls. 'm new to painting, but I want to do this project right the first time. Most people would think, "it's only a garage", but I am a perfectionist with the quality of my work both professionally and as a hobbyist / DYI'er. Plus, this is a prelude to my painting our kitchen next year. In other words, I am willing to purchase the right products and spend the time required to produce the best results.

More about the project. The area is 20' x 20' drywall. Spackling was applied and sanded by the builder. My goal is a flat white color that will stand up to rubbing, or better yet, clean off easily. I'm not budget conscious (to a point ). The house is now 3 years old, and the garage has seen only light duty with the notable exception of cigarette smoke. My girlfriend (and formerly myself) smokes cigarettes in the garage, typically with the garage door closed. By my conservative estimate, over 20,000 cigarettes have been smoked in this garage. Appalling, I know. That's why I quit!

Seriously, here are my observations about the garage's condition:



  • I'm concerned with the effects of paint adhesion with respect to the cigarette smoke.
  • There are some tire marks on the drywall from parking my motorcycle.
  • The walls have a thick coat of dust.
Action I've taken so far:
  • Wiped all walls down with a damp soapy rag to get rid of excess dust.
  • Masked window and door trim with blue 1 1/2" 3M tape.
As I run my hand across the wall, the original layer of dust is mostly gone. However, a bit of dust still exists. I searched quite a bit, but found nothing about my particular scenario. Was wiping the walls down kosher, or should I have done something else? Should I be concerned about the remaining dust, and if so what should I do about it? I also have questions about the paint process itself. There are many product related threads over at the contractortalk.com site, and generally speaking I've gathered this:
  • The Behr line leaves a lot to be desired from a professional's standpoint
  • Everyone has their favorites, but I saw positive remarks about BM, P&L (Ace Hardware nearby), SW (store nearby) and various regional brands.
I understand that I will require a primer, but I'm unsure of which type I need in order to meet my goal. Based on what I'm reading, my choice of topcoat type is intrinsically tied to my choice of primer. That's where I'm at right now. I've come across so much information (some of it conflicting), that my brain is filled up and I'm unable to separate the wheat from the chaff. Any advice is greatly appreciated, and I apologize if my query is too long or remedial. Any good painting knowledge links, etc. are certainly welcome as well.

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement

haylo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 57
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Garage drywall painting


haylo hello - ironically, we just talked about painting a garage interior:

Painting drywall in garage

It references priming, which is what you really need to get a good coat of on those walls. There are also good interior wallpaints that take a good beating and cleaning (I have 2 young boys and they do their share on the standard Duron painted walls, but it comes off fairly easily), but I'd wait to see if a pro says use a gloss or semi-gloss exterior paint instead...

Advertisement

Neil_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:49 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Garage drywall painting


Yes, I did see the previous thread but I didn't want to reopen the same conversation as it looked wrapped up plus I had a lot to say

I hadn't thought about using an exterior paint, which would certainly cover the damage equation.
haylo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Garage drywall painting


Quote:
Originally Posted by haylo75
Hi all. I came upon this site via contractortalk.com. In signing up for the forums there I noticed that one must be a contractor, and the DIY'ers need to register and post here. Frankly, I'd much rather post my question there as the activity and level of expertise seem much better than at this site. But, beggars can't be choosers!

Okay, on to the topic at hand. I'm gearing up to paint my interior garage walls. 'm new to painting, but I want to do this project right the first time. Most people would think, "it's only a garage", but I am a perfectionist with the quality of my work both professionally and as a hobbyist / DYI'er. Plus, this is a prelude to my painting our kitchen next year. In other words, I am willing to purchase the right products and spend the time required to produce the best results.

More about the project. The area is 20' x 20' drywall. Spackling was applied and sanded by the builder. My goal is a flat white color that will stand up to rubbing, or better yet, clean off easily. I'm not budget conscious (to a point ). The house is now 3 years old, and the garage has seen only light duty with the notable exception of cigarette smoke. My girlfriend (and formerly myself) smokes cigarettes in the garage, typically with the garage door closed. By my conservative estimate, over 20,000 cigarettes have been smoked in this garage. Appalling, I know. That's why I quit!

Seriously, here are my observations about the garage's condition:


  • I'm concerned with the effects of paint adhesion with respect to the cigarette smoke.
  • There are some tire marks on the drywall from parking my motorcycle.
  • The walls have a thick coat of dust.
Action I've taken so far:
  • Wiped all walls down with a damp soapy rag to get rid of excess dust.
  • Masked window and door trim with blue 1 1/2" 3M tape.
As I run my hand across the wall, the original layer of dust is mostly gone. However, a bit of dust still exists. I searched quite a bit, but found nothing about my particular scenario. Was wiping the walls down kosher, or should I have done something else? Should I be concerned about the remaining dust, and if so what should I do about it? I also have questions about the paint process itself. There are many product related threads over at the contractortalk.com site, and generally speaking I've gathered this:
  • The Behr line leaves a lot to be desired from a professional's standpoint
  • Everyone has their favorites, but I saw positive remarks about BM, P&L (Ace Hardware nearby), SW (store nearby) and various regional brands.
I understand that I will require a primer, but I'm unsure of which type I need in order to meet my goal. Based on what I'm reading, my choice of topcoat type is intrinsically tied to my choice of primer. That's where I'm at right now. I've come across so much information (some of it conflicting), that my brain is filled up and I'm unable to separate the wheat from the chaff. Any advice is greatly appreciated, and I apologize if my query is too long or remedial. Any good painting knowledge links, etc. are certainly welcome as well.

Thanks everyone!
Prime the walls with Kilz (oil based). This will take care of the nicotine and the grime. To allow cleaning of the walls I suggest Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams semi gloss oil. Before finish coating the walls, get a pole sander and sand the walls with 150 grit sandpaper. Hope this helps
donb1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:05 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Garage drywall painting


donb1959 - thanks for the reply. Regarding the sanding step - I should sand after the Kilz primer coat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donb1959
Prime the walls with Kilz (oil based). This will take care of the nicotine and the grime. To allow cleaning of the walls I suggest Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams semi gloss oil. Before finish coating the walls, get a pole sander and sand the walls with 150 grit sandpaper. Hope this helps
haylo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:58 PM   #6
Contractor
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jensen Beach, FL
Posts: 835
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Garage drywall painting


Just a reminder, many of the contractors over there prowl these halls as well. A reminder may be in order.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:01 PM   #7
Paperhanger/painter
 
ProWallGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 97
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Garage drywall painting


Quote:
Originally Posted by haylo75
donb1959 - thanks for the reply. Regarding the sanding step - I should sand after the Kilz primer coat?
I also prefer to lightly sand after the primer, and before the finish coat. Make sure to remove all the sanding dust with a tack cloth, swifter, etc.
__________________
ProWallGuy
Professional Wallpaper & Paint Co.
ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:46 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Garage drywall painting


Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I've read about lingering solvent odors with with Kilz oil based. I see that Kilz Odorless is oil based as well. Would it fit the bill in terms of smoke cover up? Is it really as "odorless" as the manufacturer claims?

I have an old Black & Decker orbital sander and also a Porter Cable 7224 that typically sees car detailing duty. I take it either of these would be overkill on the sanding piece since a pole sander was recommended?
haylo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:51 PM   #9
Tired, Cold, and Damp
 
slickshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,089
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Garage drywall painting


Quote:
Originally Posted by haylo75
I have an old Black & Decker orbital sander and also a Porter Cable 7224 that typically sees car detailing duty. I take it either of these would be overkill on the sanding piece since a pole sander was recommended?
Yeah I think so
I have similar sanders and never use them in this type of situation
Lightly sanding is key here
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:04 AM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Garage drywall painting


slickshift - Yeah that's what I figured as well. I'll just need to fetch a pole sander attachment, some 150 sheets and a tack cloth when I pick up the paint. Now I just have to decide which paint to get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift
Yeah I think so
I have similar sanders and never use them in this type of situation
Lightly sanding is key here
haylo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:10 AM   #11
Paperhanger/painter
 
ProWallGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 97
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Garage drywall painting


Instead of 150 grit sheets, go with sanding screens.
__________________
ProWallGuy
Professional Wallpaper & Paint Co.
ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:39 PM   #12
Tired, Cold, and Damp
 
slickshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,089
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Garage drywall painting


Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy
Instead of 150 grit sheets, go with sanding screens.
Yes, go with the screens
They are great
Well worth it and then some
Quote:
Originally Posted by haylo75
Now I just have to decide which paint to get!
What brand?
Well you seem to have a handle on it as per your first post
I personally use the Benny Moore whenever possible
Mention your goal to the helpful local paint store staff

Last edited by slickshift; 08-25-2005 at 11:44 PM.
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:07 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Garage drywall painting


slickshift - I have easy access to Ben Moore, P&L and SW paints. The local Ben Moore retailer has a good reputation, so I am going to go visit with them first. I've been to the local SW store and was pretty disappointed by their service.
haylo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:24 AM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Garage drywall painting


Quote:
Originally Posted by haylo75
slickshift - I have easy access to Ben Moore, P&L and SW paints. The local Ben Moore retailer has a good reputation, so I am going to go visit with them first. I've been to the local SW store and was pretty disappointed by their service.
I happen to use mostly Sherwin Williams, and Benny Moore is their primary competition in most places.

Almost every brand has a decent paint, and a good gallon of Behr from Home Depot or Kilz Color from Wal Mart is better than Moore's cheapest, or SW's cheapest.

In fact, if not for good SW service, I would consider the Kilz Line from WalMart, from primer to topcoat. Top quality paints, but hard to get in store service, and forget about tips or advice. And the cheap Wal-Mart Branded Paint is made by Sherwin Williams, and is very low grade, like their own A100. SW also makes Dutch Boy. But, the Kilz rivals the better name brands, and still is under $20 per gallon. Behr and Kilz are both made by Masterchem.

Oh, and I agree with oil primer over smoke stains for bleed through and adhesion, but would probably top coat with a semi-gloss latex. Good Luck!
greg4090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:31 AM   #15
Tired, Cold, and Damp
 
slickshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,089
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Garage drywall painting


Quote:
Originally Posted by greg4090
Almost every brand has a decent paint, and a good gallon of Behr from Home Depot or Kilz Color from Wal Mart is better than a kick in the head with a steel-toed boot.
Fixed it for ya

...aside from me having fun with your post (sorry, I couldn't resist :D), I would like to mention that I have used Behr and Kilz Color and IMO they are not comparable to to even the contractor grade BM or Pittsburg
This was alluded to by haylo75 in the original post, and I suspect that haylo75 will go with BM, P&L, or SW

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drywall Painting Question WorkOnIt Painting 8 06-14-2007 05:12 PM
Painting OSB in the garage. timg Painting 2 05-01-2007 11:50 AM
painting a room w/ both drywall and plaster walls J187 Painting 7 06-19-2006 06:33 PM
painting over drywall -- what kind of prep? CindyF Painting 6 01-12-2006 01:54 AM
Painting drywall in garage Rod Painting 5 08-12-2005 07:36 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts