Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #1

Share |

fuzzy white stuff on walls

after painting drylok on my out side wall to keep the water from coming in i now have fuzzy white stuff growing on the inside of my basement wall. Can you tell me what it is and how to get rid of it.

marybur2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
handpaintedbysteve.com

Hey mary
Sounds like your experiencing effervescence. It’s caused by moisture trapped in the wall. You then sealed it in using the Drylok, it couldn’t pass through the Drylok so it came out on the bare side of the wall. It usually happens on chimneys during the winter months. It’s nothing to worry about it’s just irritating. Use a wire brush to remove it and I would suggest a dehumidifier. It will most likely continue until the moisture in the wall finally is drawn out.
Be patient and keep wire brushing until it stops. You might also be sure you have good outside drainage away from your home. Make sure all downspouts channel the water at least 5-6 feet away from the foundation.

spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
Military Mom of 4

Yep - that's what it is. Aka efflorescence.

if you don't want to wire it off - which would work fine, I think - and be safe. . sometimes people acid it off. But I wouldn't set about to scrubbing anything with muriatic acid if it'll just work itself out naturally - because considering the danger to you it'll continue to efflorescence until it's all leached out regardless.

The leeching is natural process - you can't stop it in it's tracks.