Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #1

Share |
Thumbs down

Frustrated with Valspar paint/primer all in one

I used a Valspar paint and primer all in one at the recommendation of our local Lowe's employee. I have never been so unhappy or frustrated with a product that I have spent so much of my precious little "free" time painting and repainting and repainting and repainting and yet I am still not satisfied. I am not sure who spent all their time dreaming up a paint and primer so thick that it looks like it will cover anything......however, it shows thru any and all colors even light ones and it dries entirely too quickly. Any help on how to correct the mess I have on my walls and trim work would be appreciated

Daisey227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:32 AM   #2

Did you clean and prime the walls first? any idea what you've painted over?

I would never trust a paint that was supposed to be "paint and primer in one" to do the job where primer is needed..

Last edited by chrisBC; 07-21-2012 at 12:35 AM.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisBC For This Useful Post:
Daisey227 (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 04:21 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisey227;970608[COLOR=red
]I used a Valspar paint and primer all in one at the recommendation of our local Lowe's employee.[/COLOR] I have never been so unhappy or frustrated with a product that I have spent so much of my precious little "free" time painting and repainting and repainting and repainting and yet I am still not satisfied. I am not sure who spent all their time dreaming up a paint and primer so thick that it looks like it will cover anything......however, it shows thru any and all colors even light ones and it dries entirely too quickly. Any help on how to correct the mess I have on my walls and trim work would be appreciated

Big mistake listening to a supposed paint guy from Lowe's, who more than likely knows absolutely nothing about paint( or anything else for that matter)

Go to a real paint store for paint
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
ltd

i'm not saying its the best paint ,but for the price i think it is good paint . i have never had problems with it .
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

When I don't want sucky paint, I go to Benj Moore and get the Regal Select.

Maybe some Valspar or Behr is ok. I don't want OK.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #6

I didn't like the quality of Valspar either but I didn't use the all-in-one. I always use Kilz. I think V is a low quality paint. I've never had an issue with any other paint brand except V, Martha Stewart, and a couple of the Ralph Lauren paints.

Now I stick with Behr brand. I like the way it covers and they usually have a sale once a year.

For priming, I always use Kilz. Hands down, the best and worth the money.

My 2cents.

Last edited by shadytrake; 07-21-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: LOL spelling.
shadytrake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shadytrake For This Useful Post:
Daisey227 (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

lol...Kiltz.

Kilz... And it is a very mediocre paint. The original oil primer is ok. There are better ( cover Stain).
Daisey227 (07-21-2012), shadytrake (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #8

Yeah, Valspar is not a great paint, but, for box store stuff, it's decent. Really surprised to hear you had so much trouble with their paint. Personally, I'm never gonna use the Primer and Paint in One over fresh new drywall, but as a finish coat, Valspar is ok.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
loHl...Kiltz.

Kilz... And it is a very mediocre paint. The original oil primer is ok. There are better ( cover Stain).
Ha ha ha....that's a kilt....still like my Kilz. Never had a problem with either the oil or water based. It's a good product for a DIY'er. I've painted both my exterior and interior house with it as well as a couple of old racing sailboats. Works for me.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Kilz is not worth the can it comes in. And there are much better products for the DIYer. Always amazes me when someone suggests mediocre products are somehow alright for DIYer as if their walls and ceilings were different than those pro painters finish. The fact of the matter is that if DIYers used nice paint store paint they would respect their work more and not fight crappy materials in the painting process. They might even develop some real skills that they won't chasing drips and sags and cussing because things take many more coats than should be necessary!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (02-28-2013)
Old 07-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Kilz is not worth the can it comes in. And there are much better products for the DIYer. Always amazes me when someone suggests mediocre products are somehow alright for DIYer as if their walls and ceilings were different than those pro painters finish. The fact of the matter is that if DIYers used nice paint store paint they would respect their work more and not fight crappy materials in the painting process. They might even develop some real skills that they won't chasing drips and sags and cussing because things take many more coats than should be necessary!

Feel free to critique my project for "real skills." I look forward to constructive criticism and advice.

Guestroom Before/After
Old 07-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #12

Unhappy

The door was painted with latex and it was cleaned prior to painting. I have used Valspar before but never a paint and primer and I have never had the mess I have now. My husband went back to the store they told him it wasn't "mixed properly" so they remixed it and he brought home a new gallon of freshly shaken crap and that is exactly how it looks when you paint with it. Now what do I need to do to undo all this mess??? I know all about oil based and what to do on covering that......just cleaned up a big pile of that off my back porch. So I do know the difference in oil and latex so I didn't paint over oil with latex or vice versa LOL Any help is appreciated.
Daisey227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
Rubbin walls since'79

Soo.. More info or even a pic will help. From your first post it sounds like the main problem was it not covering ( hiding) the previous paint.
And it went on thick, which I will take to mean you have brushstrokes that you don't like.
Am I close? any thing else that you can add to "the problem"? Is it adhering ok? what else?
Also- how long since you put on the last coat? Is it still tacky?
Daisey227 (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #14

Hi Daisy,

Since you are planning to re-use, you might think about getting the additive that makes paint take longer to dry. I can't remember what it is called but my friend who is a paint pro recommended it to me when the M.S. brand wasn't working.

I believe you can pick it up at the Sherwin Williams store.

If it were me, I would take it back and tell them you are not satisfied with it. Then I would start over with separates.
The Following User Says Thank You to shadytrake For This Useful Post:
Daisey227 (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #15
Rubbin walls since'79

Shady is thinking of a product called "Flotrol" - a paint extender. ( I am assuming!)
An even better one if you can find it is made by a Co called XIM- and it is their latex extender. I call it "brush grease".
But first we need to make sure that what you have on isn't going to be a problem- so I am interested in your answers to my q's.

Daisey227 (07-21-2012), shadytrake (07-21-2012)