Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Front Entrance Nightmares

My wife and I recently purchased our first home. We decided to replace our front door. We purchased one at home depot (Masonite) and had it factory primed only. I currently work somewhere that we have a small spray booth and air powered sprayer. My boss and myself went to an automotive paint store and purchased some auto base coat (lacquer I am pretty sure) and painted our door. It looked quite good until we went to remove our masking and the paint peeled on the pvc trim around the doors. At this point we ran out of paint so we go back to the auto shop. To get more and ask them about the pvc trim. The guy tells me we couldn't just use a base coat we would need to top coat. This already cost me too much money and any touch ups would be a nightmare. So we decide to lightly sand all steel and wood, remove all paint from pvc and sand, spray with Bullseye 123 (Water base) then two coats of CIL 3 Exterior in our color. After two days paint was still tacky, layers seemed dry between coats we waited over 4 hours between paint coats and primer was left for about 10 hours. At this point all of that is peeling right off the surface of the door right back down to the lacquer. We were in a warm shop the primer was slightly watered down to go through sprayer but we didn't water down the CIL. At this point I am going to sand the whole thing and start over on top of the lacquer again. Any suggestions on making sure this is the last time I do this. Some have said use an oil based primer over top of the lacquer paint but I am not sure what I should do. I would like to use Sherwin Willams paints if anyone is familiar with which products I should use.

Thanks

RegLearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Lacquer is a very hard finish- to get adhesion to it will require breaking the gloss with sanding. Another thing about the waterborne primers- they take time to cure to full adhesion- sometimes a couple of weeks.
In your case I might recommend using oil CoverStain as your primer. The waterbornes might work, but this will feel like it grips faster to you.
Finish with SW ProClassic- either WB or oil

..wait- interior side with PC- exterior needs an Exterior grade finish- not so familiar withSW- someone else will have to fill in the blank.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

That would be SW Super Paint for exterior. Lacquer is the problem. There are too many rules for what it can go over and what can go over it, so it's best to avoid using it as a generic coating and leave it to the specific things for which it's designed. Follow BJ's advice and give the surface a good sanding, prime with Zinsser Cover Stain (from Home Depot), and then finish. Don't go trying to scratch it off to test the bond, as many do. As stated, it takes time for the bonding quality to develop. Good Luck, and welcome to the forum.
Joe
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote