Fresh 100% Acrylic Deck Stain Gets Rain - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By finsnfeathers

Old 12-27-2016, 08:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

fresh 100% acrylic deck stain gets rain

nice warm day here w/couple of the same for the next few so stained some of my deck railing yesterday with 100% acrylic latex solid color stain.
As luck would have it...with no rain forecasted for at least 24 hours ...it lightly rained on it within 2 hours of finishing up for the day.
What can I expect to happen to this freshly stained wood ?
Had been stained before ( oil based) & we sanded it prior to this restaining, (down to bare wood in some spots) but most it still had some oil based stain left before re-staining with this acrylic latex.

Advertisement

finsnfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
Anonymous Tard

Rewards Points: 16

Re: fresh 100% acrylic deck stain gets rain

That is going to peel off, not just because of the water, but you have to strip the oil stain off completely first before putting on the acrylic.

Advertisement

getrex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to getrex For This Useful Post:
finsnfeathers (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 01:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 802

If the oil based stain was pretty weathered, going over it with the acrylic might have been ok. Short version, though, is I would just wait to see what happens but be ready to recoat sooner rather than later just in case.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #4

ok, thanks guys...was afraid it was going to cause extra problems in the long run, this IS THE DECK FROM HELL !! ( my other post per mold, mildew and rot is here )

What is the problem with applying acrylic latex over an oil based stain ?!
The paint store guy said that was allright to do, just not the other way around .
The oil base stain had been on the wood for about 3 years.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsnfeathers View Post
ok, thanks guys...was afraid it was going to cause extra problems in the long run, this IS THE DECK FROM HELL !! ( my other post per mold, mildew and rot is here )

What is the problem with applying acrylic latex over an oil based stain ?!
The paint store guy said that was allright to do, just not the other way around .
The oil base stain had been on the wood for about 3 years.

Please excuse my latex over oil statement above , I was just corrected by my better half and seems I had it bas akwards !
Oil over latex is ok , not the other way around, but yes, the oil based had weathered some and like I say, was sanded down some too before applying the acrylic latex.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 802

You may be ok but regardless, there really isn't anything to do now but sit and wait.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stick\shift For This Useful Post:
finsnfeathers (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 04:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 930

You can get whitish colored water spots on a fresh deck stain that got rain. Usually these fade away on a warmer, dry day. I wouldn't sweat the "oil over latex" or "latex over oil" issue. Most of today's paint formulations are good enough to go either way without adverse effects. If you prepped well........sanding, cleaning, removing dust, etc. you should be fine.
chrisn (12-27-2016), finsnfeathers (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
You can get whitish colored water spots on a fresh deck stain that got rain. Usually these fade away on a warmer, dry day. I wouldn't sweat the "oil over latex" or "latex over oil" issue. Most of today's paint formulations are good enough to go either way without adverse effects. If you prepped well........sanding, cleaning, removing dust, etc. you should be fine.
You have been a huge help to me during this awful deck situation, thank you so much again !
Sad thing is though, the stain is white and I can't tell about those water spots, just yet anyway .
I have been googling oil over latex and vice versa and my gosh....the jury is out there.
I def. don't believe everything I see on the net but do trust you and the kind folks here with the advice you all give, thanks to all of you !
Gymschu likes this.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:37 AM   #9
Anonymous Tard

Rewards Points: 16

Hopefully there won't be a problem. The one issue is that many stain products have been reformulated in recent years and require different prep procedures. The main two are stripping the old stain and then using a product to restore the ph balance in the wood so that it can accept new stain evenly for a proper finish. A solid latex stain acts almost like paint but does soak in for a more durable surface. The part where it soaks in is what keeps it stuck to the wood under normal wear. If it doesn't adhere properly then it will peel off. So the thing you are waiting to see is if it was able to adhere well enough to last.

Advertisement

getrex is offline   Reply With Quote