Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Forgot to prime. Now what?

Let me just start by saying that I pulled a really bonehead move. We just remodeled our bathroom, and replaced the drywall on two walls. When I repainted, I forgot to prime those walls. When I pulled my tape, as you might guess, the paint started peeling with it.

So: Now what? So far there are just small areas right at the edges where the paint is peeling, but can I do anything to fix it and stop the issue from spreading?

Thanks for any advice.
spoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #2

OK bonehead, not a big deal. Sand it lightly, prime it, spackle, sand it, prime it, then finish it. As long as you use a satin or other steam impenetrable finish, you shouldn't have any future problems. You might when you repaint down the road but cross that bridge when you get there. And, stop using tape. Read my tutorial on painting without tape.
Good Luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
spoko (04-04-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #3

Joe--Thanks so much of your quick & useful reply. I heard from a few different people that the tape was probably the real problem, and after following your advice (sand, spackle, etc.) I think that's right. Your guide to painting without tape is quite informative, and hopefully I'll be able to do it that way from now on. This was even more of a learning experience than I'd expected!

Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoko View Post
Joe--Thanks so much of your quick & useful reply. I heard from a few different people that the tape was probably the real problem, and after following your advice (sand, spackle, etc.) I think that's right. Your guide to painting without tape is quite informative, and hopefully I'll be able to do it that way from now on. This was even more of a learning experience than I'd expected!

Thanks again.
Spoko, the tape was not the problem, not priming was the problem. Just to be clear. You should be able to tape to painted walls without pulling paint. Finish paint is not formulated to penetrate like primer does, and so basically just lays on the surface. You may have some future problems with it, but you now know how to fix it. Now you have to learn how to cut without tape, at least on those two walls . Thanks for your interest and feedback. Was what I put out easy to understand?

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #5

Gotcha.

Yes, your advice was pretty straightforward and easy to understand. Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to spoko For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (04-04-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 02:14 AM   #6

Another reason why to use primer over fresh drywall is that the paint will absorb differently into the board and into the mudded sections, in other words you will see the mudded sections, best to prep, prime, paint again.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bath, drywall, paint, primer, sheetrock