Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #1

Share |

Foam Rollers/Doors

How do foam rollers work for painting smooth doors?? Better than standard polyester rollers?

dschribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #2

Foam Rollers/Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschribs
How do foam rollers work for painting smooth doors?? Better than standard polyester rollers?
They can be better in terms of leaving a smooth finish. Little bit of a learning curve with them as opposed to a regular roller. One important thing with any roller, but especially with foam, is not to apply too much pressure while rolling.

I use them a lot on metal and wood doors when spraying is not feasible and I don't want brush strokes. Once you get the hang of them they will give you a nice tight stipple finish. Way better then brush strokes IMO

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Foam Rollers/Doors

I have never liked them and have only ever used them for applying things like contact adhesive to matching surfaces. They do not hold or release enough paint.

If I mention the thick nap roller cover I would use my painter bubbas will come unglued again.

Use at least 1/2 nap cover with latex paint even over a flat surface. I liked adding Floetrol (for latex and XIM liked by others same concept) to even out rolled finishes on doors. I have been known to toss a polycrylic into paint for doors I knew were going to kicked at and otherwise abused. Of course I knew not to go over my roller strokes then.

Of course you must have this discussion only if planning to use quality, paint store paint.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Foam Rollers/Doors

One other comment. If you want glass like finish I could come close. If removable or portable, I have been known to drag the strangest of things beyond trucks and cars to body shop bubbas to have them spray painted.

I am not a big fan of spray painting home interiors, or parts of them, unless empty but do appreciate the work when it is called for and appropriate.

I can roll or brush out a door hanging in place in minutes so it makes no sense to mask and spray it. And I love the look of painted over door hardware (and switchplates) so I never bothered to remove the stuff.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #5

Foam Rollers/Doors

the foam rollers work pretty good. i roll the paint on the entire door and then very gingerly dry roll the door with no pressure. you will see a ton of bubbles in the paint. they will pop and the paint levels out nicely. adding floetrol can help with smoothing it out.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #6

Foam Rollers/Doors

When spraying is not feasible I roll the door (panel not slab) with a 4" roller using Flotrol in the paint. Then follow it with a quality brush to smooth and even it out. I guess what I mean is just drag the brush lightly, not like your applying the paint. And I should say a nap roller not foam. When dry no brush marks.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
user1007 (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Foam Rollers/Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
When spraying is not feasible I roll the door (panel not slab) with a 4" roller using Flotrol in the paint. Then follow it with a quality brush to smooth and even it out. I guess what I mean is just drag the brush lightly, not like your applying the paint. And I should say a nap roller not foam. When dry no brush marks.

That's how I do it also. I have never used a foam roller for anything
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
user1007 (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
Painting Contractor CT

Foam Rollers/Doors

If you're using latex paint then I would use a standard roller. If you are using oil based paint then use a foam roller for best results.

Good Luck!

KD PAINTING is offline   Reply With Quote