Flexrock For Countertops - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flexrock for countertops

I am thinking of using a product called Flexrock for countertops which resemble granite. Looks good and not too difficult. Has anyone used this or have any tips?
Thanks
Barb

Advertisement

barb_stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Flexrock for countertops

A countertop is a countertop and they take a lot of abuse. What are yours to start, would be my first question? And why don't you like them? And why are you refinishing with a fairly expensive product?

Budget?

Everybody wants the granite look because it is so in? Not so. The fad is dying.

My clients, with everybody else having real or faux granite now, ask if I cannot find them countertops they would like better. I do.

Anyhow, these faux countertops will stick for as long as the substrate under them allows and so long as you never drop a pot or cut a piece of cheese on them.

I would really take an orbital sander to your existing tops if they are laminate and carve the surface up in a nasty manner. Be sure to provide a surface area for the bullnose edges too.

Over buy this faux products with the same manufacturing lot numbers for all components. Or it will never match.

Stone dust, sprinkled in 1/6th inch polymers, is never going to be the same as a stone counter. And while many will walk in and shout?

"Great faux stone counter!"

It will never fool anybody and the polymers will never wear like stone. A few years you will have nothing more than a muddy looking plastic mess.

I would save your money.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Flexrock for countertops

You and I are not talking about the same product or you do not know of this one sold in Canada. You mix the colors that you want - there are no premixed colours and it is stronger than granite in the end.
Thanks anyway
barb_stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Flexrock for countertops

Sorry too.

Here in the US they are all either premixed polymers into which you toss stone flecks. A layer 1/16" into which you put stone fragments is harder than a real stone countertop, an inch thick too? For how long? Even if the surface holds true to that claim long enough for TV marketing.

Come on. Think this through and why did you come to this site for advice if you just wanted a green light to go ahead with the project you will anyhow?

Not saying if you are really careful the stuff could not work. 1/8" laminates do but be careful. You are likely to be dissapointed putting a layer of anything over laminate, but laminate, if that is what you have.

You could end up with chunks of polymer and rock in your Cheerios (a brand of cereal popular here in the states) if this stuff you have in mind does not adhere to your existing countertop.

Last edited by user1007; 07-04-2011 at 12:47 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote