Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Unhappy

Flat on Semi-gloss DISASTER!!!!

My sister got bored, obviously too bored to clean, so what did she do? Well, she painted an ugly grey color FLAT paint over a SEMIGLOSS white in our bathroom and it looks terrible, not only that but she slopped all over the trim, & painted the once white vanity, now the paint is peeling off, so a few days ago I started to peel it off, but have only gotten a section under the window off, it's easiest after a shower since the paint is moist, that paint is really weird it is like it is rubber. Anyways, now my problem is the bathroom looks terrible with paint peeling off showing the white. I would like to get all of that icky FLAT paint off the walls and repaint a nice CLEAN (semi-gloss) color! Anyone have advice?

Thank you...

futura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #2

Stab your sister in the eye, with a spork?

wfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #3

There are no shortcuts here. You will need to remove ALL the failing paint before doing a normal bathroom paint job (more involved than most other rooms.)

Maybe a heat gun would help here?

If you need advice for the new paint once you get that ugly stuff off, just post again.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:36 PM   #4

thanks for the idea, that may just work.. haha not the spork thing, Any other ideas for getting all of that paint off? it's a small enough bathroom, but still will take a few hours!
futura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:01 AM   #5

As you have discovered the hard way, bathrooms are hell for paint adhesion. Here are the tips you need once you get that nasty failing paint off.

1) Prep all surfaces with an extremely thorough cleaning, especially if aerosol products are used in this bathroom, and that goes double for hairspray. The best cleaner for paint prep is TSP (Tri-Sodium Phosphate.) It should be available at any paint store. Every surface (including the ceiling, if you are painting it) must be washed and rinsed.
2) Do not take a shower or hot bath in that bathroom for a week before and after painting, if you can possibly do so.
3) Scuff-sand all the surfaces to give the old paint some "tooth".
4) Personally, I would prime, but it is not a 100% crucial step. My "standard" primer (when I don't need stain sealing) is Sherwin Williams PrepRite Pro Block Latex.
5) If you do prime, you will need to give the primer a quick scuff-sand after drying to smooth it out.
6) Topcoat with a quality bathroom paint in the color and sheen of your choice. A popular one here is Sherwin Williams Kitchen&Bath paint. Another, especially if you have mildew issues, is Zinsser PermaWhite, although it is a bit stinky.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Building and plumbing

Sounds like my sister inlaw!

USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote