Flat Or Semi-gloss For Antique Tin Ceiling - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,038

flat or semi-gloss for antique tin ceiling

My antique tin ceiling is currently painted flat but I am thinking it would come to more prominence if it had a little more sheen. Anyone seen such ceilings painted semi-gloss? Really just looking for opinion.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130731_140445.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  16.4 KB

Advertisement

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I happen to love shiny-old, or shiny-new, tin (or faux tin) ceilings in rooms that can handle the sheen and assuming they are in good shape. They were made to sparkle and stand out as architectural details. Show them off say I!

I would step up the sheen a notch or two and go with the highest sheen you can get. This will probably put you in oil solvent paint territory if you were planning on a dark color. You you can get high gloss finishes in latex/acrylic in lighter colors in consumer canned housepaint. Last ceiling I took on like one you shown? I shut down production at my fave autobody shop for a couple of days and let the crew at the ceiling.

Yours looks to be in great shape. Have some fun. Make that sucker sparkle! What a treasure you have to find one, if the photo is to be believed, in such great shape. Obviously if you did not show us the warts? You want to fix any corrosion and spot prime with a self-etching, corrosion inhibiting primer first.

Please post pics when done. I would love to see what the house or business this ceiling is in looks like someday. This made my day. I have been doing walkthroughs and am getting depressed over what people do to places.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 07-31-2013 at 02:43 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,038

I think I'll be good with just semi-gloss. Thanks.
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Painting Contractor CT

Rewards Points: 77

I like ceiling in flat finish, but this type will look good in a semi-gloss as well i think.
KD PAINTING is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KD PAINTING For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (07-31-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

My gallery has 2500 sq ft of this original tin, I would use flat white nothing shiny, and make sure you use OIL paint not latex!

More than a number of people who painted over these steel ceilings with latex have reported a few years later all of the paint started peeling and coming off, seems to be the water in the latext paint soaks into the paint layers and this can start corrosion of the steel.

Quote:
Q. Thanks for the great advice, April! We have an 1870 house with a great tin ceiling in the dining room. When we bought it, the guy who had been restoring it had painted the tin ceiling with white latex paint. It looked great!

Two years later, the paint is peeling off in great sheets, along with the old layer of lead paint.

They call it tin but it's only steel and was meant to be painted with oil paint as that is what paints were when these ceilings were new.
They make new tin ceilings which are tin plated, most of my ceilings in the house are new tin plated which I left as-is shiny because it looked so good it was a shame to paint over it, besides, if you don't have to paint a ceiling it's aheck of a lot easier not to!

Rust Oleum makes flat white oil paint.

You can contrast the cornice with a different paint, unfortunately I could only get a satin oil paint for the green which gives it a shine I don't care for:

Last edited by RWolff; 08-01-2013 at 09:13 PM.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote