Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:46 AM   #1

Share |

Flat, Satin???

The walls in my house are far from perfect. They used to be paneled so you can see the seams quite well since right now it is painted with a high gloss paint. I don't have the time, or money to fix the walls, so I need a very forgiving paint. I usually hear people say that they use Satin on the walls in their house, but I'm wondering if I could use flat paint instead. The less shine, the better with these walls. So which paint hides imperfections best and would be the appropriate choice for my walls?

*I do plan on cleaning the walls and using primer first

Sarah24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:11 AM   #2

Flat, Satin???

Flat paint will work fine unless it is in the bathroom or kitchen.............

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:52 AM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Flat, Satin???

Flat or eggshell are much more popular than satin for walls....by far
...really far

Satin is more for trim
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:00 AM   #4

Flat, Satin???

Quote:
Flat or eggshell are much more popular than satin for walls....by far
...really far

Satin is more for trim
I'm fairly new to this site and i'm sure this topic has probably been beaten to death so forgive me, but why is this Slick? Unless you don't plan on using the room at all, flat paint seems terrible. If you have kids, forget it. Dirt or scuff marks don't scrub off at all. Well they will...but the paint will usually come off with it. I live in a fairly new development that, unless you stated otherwise, the builder used flat on everything. All the neighbors around me tell me their walls are trashed (they all have kids and/or pets). They can't scrub anything off them. I asked for eggshell and satin in all my rooms and seem to be having an easier time with this problem, especially in the satin rooms. I thought trim is usually semi-gloss or gloss. Of course I know very little about painting compared to yourself so I would like to hear your take on this.
sk8z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
She'sapainter

Flat, Satin???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8z View Post
I'm fairly new to this site and i'm sure this topic has probably been beaten to death so forgive me, but why is this Slick? Unless you don't plan on using the room at all, flat paint seems terrible. If you have kids, forget it. Dirt or scuff marks don't scrub off at all. Well they will...but the paint will usually come off with it. I live in a fairly new development that, unless you stated otherwise, the builder used flat on everything. All the neighbors around me tell me their walls are trashed (they all have kids and/or pets). They can't scrub anything off them. I asked for eggshell and satin in all my rooms and seem to be having an easier time with this problem, especially in the satin rooms. I thought trim is usually semi-gloss or gloss. Of course I know very little about painting compared to yourself so I would like to hear your take on this.
I don't believe its the kids they are worried about, I sounds like the lines have come to a point where every time the wall is looked apon it's the lines that are reaching out and grabbing your eye's.
Velvet or matte finish you can try a flat enamel with is stronger then a flat wall paint The average home owner is un aware there is such a paint finish

Last edited by tverhoef; 02-27-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: edit
tverhoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:27 PM   #6

Flat, Satin???

This may sound like a stupid question.... but, isn't "eggshell" a color, not a paint type? I'm confused. lol. I just wanted to get a paint with HIGH coverage and low shine to hide imperfections. But I guess the flat paint idea is a big no-no, so thanks for the warnings.
Sarah24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
She'sapainter

Flat, Satin???

There is : flat matte
eggshell / Satin
semi gloss
high gloss

It's not a stupid question to someone who doesn't paint,
Old 02-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Painting contractor

Flat, Satin???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark942 View Post
Flat paint will work fine unless it is in the bathroom or kitchen.............

Exactly! A flat paint is excellent at hiding flaws in the walls and ceilings. As to the kids us a high grade not a cheap grade paint that is scrubable. In California I have used Kelly Moore #550 latex flat with good success for over 20 years. If you can't get it check you local Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore and ask for their top of the line flat paint.

Jerry
Thepaintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Flat, Satin???

wanted to get a paint with HIGH coverage and low shine to hide imperfections. But I guess the flat paint idea is a big no-no, so thanks for the warnings.

Flat paint is just fine if you get good quality
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:00 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Flat, Satin???

I forgot to add, go to a real paint store, avoid the big box places
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:52 AM   #11

Flat, Satin???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8z View Post
Don't confuse the finish with the quality of paint. This sounds like a classic "blow and go" quality paint. If you or the contractor use some of the higher quality paints in Flat or Matte, they can be cleaned very easily and have pretty good durability.
DIYHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:14 AM   #12

Flat, Satin???

Yea, you're probably right. I'm sure the builder used the cheapest stuff available (don't they all?). Probably Behr

Sarah - don't go by my comments/advice. I know very little about paint. Looks like I sort of hijacked your thread by asking off-topic questions of my own...sorry. Sounds to me, after reading some of the responses, that flat would work great in your case to hide any imperfections in the walls...just use a good quality paint.
sk8z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #13

Flat, Satin???

I've always been a fan of flat for walls. A little soap and water or SoftScrub and marks come right off the quality ones. Out here in AZ, folks tend to overdose their homes on eggshell, semi-gloss and satin finishes.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #14
Pro Painter

Flat, Satin???

The builders don't use very good paint. Sometimes they use a "high-build", great coverage, crap quality.

Your budget will determine how this will go. There are many paint products availabe in flat that are just as washable as semi-gloss. Kidsroom paint, everclean, duration and a host of others, but they will cost more.

SW pro-mar 400 or pro-mar200 or even pro-mar200 xp are mid line products that come in flat, are fairly reasonably priced and are washable, but not scrubbable.

The situation you'll run into is cost compared to product. The best paints use the word "scrubbable". There are scrubbable flats, but again, they're expensive. If you aren't going to go with a scrubbable paint, then you'll do fine with the pro-mar line. 200xp is a high hiding version of 200. It sounds like plain 200 will work for you.

TIP: The glossier the paint, the more slippery it is when you wash it. When washing flat paints use plenty of water and soap. Give the soap and water time to sit on the area before washing. This helps a lot.

Rinse well. Don't worry about how it looks, it will dry back to the orginal appearance.

Last edited by joewho; 02-28-2008 at 12:44 PM.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote