Flat Paint Help In Apartment - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flat paint help in apartment

Hi all, I am new here and wondering if anyone can help me.

I live in a large apartment building in NYC. I want to touch up the paint in certain spots where there are bad scuff marks, etc. I have tried cleaning them and learned the hard way that the flat paint that is used doesn't clean well...hence even more reason to touch up.

I contacted my super who told me that they use SW flat paint in Extra White...only problem is, he can't tell me what line of paint from SW they use (trust me, I've tried more times than I can count to get my point across. They also won't give me some paint to borrow...).

Anyway, the paint on my walls feels SUPER chalky, literally you touch the wall and it leaves a mark. I am also pretty sure that whatever is on the walls is also on the ceiling. I went to the SW store near me and they gave me a can of ProGreen to try, which doesn't match the sheen and is obviously higher quality than anything my building uses. It practically looked like semi-gloss compared to whatever is on the wall.

After doing some research I am pretty sure that they must use something along the lines of either MasterHide or Builder's Solution. I was wondering if anyone had any input on the difference between the two, or which one is the "flattest" flat paint so I have a better chance of matching whatever my building uses. I also considered Promar 400, but after trying the ProGreen I am assuming even that won't be as flat as the current paint.

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Advertisement

cnj419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,272

Well, 30 years of experience tells me that it is IMPOSSIBLE to touch up any sheen of paint and have it match. Dirt, sunlight, dust, etc. land on the walls and actually change the color somewhat over time. Even if you get the exact same color in the exact same sheen, you will still have issues. Yes, flat touches up better than other sheens, but to really do it up right just paint the entire wall. If I had to guess, I would say the super is using Promar 400 or Promar 200 flat, but that's just a guess. I'd say give the touch-ups a try and if you're not satisfied, paint the entire wall..........then, give the super a bill for the labor!

Advertisement

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for your help. The apartment was totally repainted only about 5 months so I'm hoping it will touch up better, but I know it probably won't be perfect. I am just trying to find the closest thing possible to the sheen on the wall, and the ProGreen stuff was just way off. Is ProMar400 super super flat?
cnj419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 530

SW master hide and builders solution are a lower grade of paint than there Promar line. As already mentioned it will be hard to touch up as the old paint is faded etc. Your best bet is to just repaint the wall. If you can cut a small piece of wall out and repair that spot, bring the piece to SW then they can match it up and give you an exact color match, then you can probably just give the walls one coat of paint if your staying with the original color
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

it sounds like promar 400 or pro mar 200 witch is a little better paint .when you touch up thin your paint a little with water and stir it good .you also have to use a like texture so if walls have a stipple you need to use a roller a 6 inch mini roller works good for touch ups
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat , paint , sherwin williams