Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #1

Share |

Flat paint

Someone gave us 5 gallon of flat paint. I hate flat paint because we have kids, and pets. Is it possible to add/mix gloss paint of equal amounts (1gal. flat + 1gal. gloss = 2gal. semi-gloss) to end up with a semi-gloss paint? I would like to use this up. Any suggestions would be helpful.
leeddsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
Building and plumbing

Flat paint

I am not a painter by trade, but I thought I once heard there was something you could add to flat paint to make it more scrubable.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #3

Flat paint

I'm no expert but this is what I've learned or come across on the subject over the years. Some will say it's okay as long as the paints are within the same product category and from the same manufacturer and earmarked specifically for interior. The caveat is that exterior paints generally have additional chemicals or higher concentrations of additivies in them to combat mildew and such and are therefore not appropriate for indoor use. From what I have read, even if you mix the two very, very thoroughly and in a specific ratio that you can reproduce as needed, there's still a chance of inconsistency in the finish where certain spots will have little or no or different sheen when the paint dries. It has something to do with the specific qualities inherent within each paint. That's about all I can contribute to the topic.

Last edited by End Grain; 03-15-2008 at 02:59 PM.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Flat paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeddsd View Post
Someone gave us 5 gallon of flat paint. I hate flat paint because we have kids, and pets. Is it possible to add/mix gloss paint of equal amounts (1gal. flat + 1gal. gloss = 2gal. semi-gloss) to end up with a semi-gloss paint? I would like to use this up. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Save yourself from lots of wasted labor, buy the right paint. That is like believing that one gallon of black and one gallon of white equals two gallons of grey , or if you want pink, just add white to some red paint.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:23 AM   #5

Flat paint

Unless somebody just gave you a fiver of Duration or Aura, I would just get rid of the stuff on Craigslist. I do not think you really want to be experimenting with paint chemistry on your walls, unless you feel like doing the job all over again if it doesn't turn out.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote