Flat Over Semi-gloss - How Do You Do It? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flat over semi-gloss - how do you do it?

I saw a picture on a blog of a wall painted in semi gloss and then stenciled over with a flat paint. The result is that most of the wall is flat, with shiny accents throughout. My concern is the flat paint sticking to the semi gloss. But it must be doable because I saw it in the picture! I doubt very much they scuffed every area through the stencil first because that would be impossible to line up again when painting. Does cure time affect the ability to roll flat over gloss and if so, how long is cure time generally? Thank you for some expertise.

Advertisement

Daffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

It isn't so dangerous to do a flat on a semi if they both are good quality acrylic paints. It gets dicey when you put it over an oil the most.
Ive done what you describe with stripes ( same color, different sheens) and harlequin diamonds ( lots of layout!).
Gives an interesting and subtle look.
Cure depends on conditions ( humidity) and paint, but generally speaking about 3 weeks to total cure. If you paint before then, they bond to each other a bit better- but I think it should be fine anyway.
The flat won't be that cleanable, so do this in an area that won't get lots of abuse.

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for your quick response. It's helpful that you have done this before and really know what I am talking about!
Daffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Actually something like Benjamin Moore Aura in flat or other lower sheens is as cleanable as most semi-gloss paints.

If most of the area is flat? Are you sure the semi was not reverse stenciled over the flat?

In any event, as mentioned, if using quality acrylic products on fresh painted surfaces it should work out alright.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote