Flashing Paint Due To Drywall Dust - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

flashing paint due to drywall dust

My painter painted new walls that had an orange peel texture and there are huge flash marks everywhere. One room was primed with pva and then sprayed with 2 coats latex paint. One room (the worst one) was sprayed twice with a high quality paint and primer in one. The painter is saying that the finishers burned the drywall. The drywall finishers are saying that the dust was not removed from the walls. I think it was both since I can see huge flash marks in perfectly straight lines all over the room but there is also a weird texture over those spots that look like tiny scraped pieces of drywall paper. Does anyone know how to fix this or have any information on how to see which one is the problem or if it is both. HELP how can I fix this!

Advertisement

allaboutpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #2

any thoughts or suggestions???

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 512

It is possible that the walls needed more priming - new drywall, especially with texture, can really absorb the paint. It is possible you need more coats to even it out. THere could also be an issue with the sprayer - perhaps you are getting a 'fingering' effect from a damaged tip. Or, if your painter is not backrolling, that could be the problem right there. It is very difficult to spray paint evenly to interior standards without backrolling.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:01 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutpaint View Post
My painter painted new walls that had an orange peel texture and there are huge flash marks everywhere. One room was primed with pva and then sprayed with 2 coats latex paint. One room (the worst one) was sprayed twice with a high quality paint and primer in one. The painter is saying that the finishers burned the drywall. The drywall finishers are saying that the dust was not removed from the walls. I think it was both since I can see huge flash marks in perfectly straight lines all over the room but there is also a weird texture over those spots that look like tiny scraped pieces of drywall paper. Does anyone know how to fix this or have any information on how to see which one is the problem or if it is both. HELP how can I fix this!

High quality?
I would ditch both of these products and apply some real paint
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #5

What kind of paint would you suggest. I'm using high quality paint and primers and am curious what you think would be better. I've used all different kinds of paint and don't see what could be better than what I'm using so what would YOU use?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutpaint View Post
What kind of paint would you suggest. I'm using high quality paint and primers and am curious what you think would be better. I've used all different kinds of paint and don't see what could be better than what I'm using so what would YOU use?

define both
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

How do new walls have an orange peel texture? do you mean they have an orange peel texture after they were just painted?
I'd agree that the drywall is probably not sealed well enough, so it is absorbing differently over the joints.
Also, you should backroll the first coat of "P-P-in-1" onto new drywall.

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 296

Airless spray on a textured surface should be backrolled to even out the dry mils of the topcoat. Otherwise, flashing can occur if this is uneven. Self-priming finish products recommend backrolling to avoid this condition. I hope that this is helpful.

Advertisement

Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote