Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Share |

Flaking paint

This past May I used this spray can which reads primer and paint to touch up some small areas around my home. The area outside of my sidelight next to my front door, the 2 wooden columns that we have.

After a month its starting to flake. I also went as far as using rust inhibiting primer on the wooden columns and the rust still came through. What gives?

valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #2

Flaking paint

Cover Stain is a good primer and somewhat rust inhibitive if only by virtue of being oil based. It's not a real rust primer though. Rustolem Rusty Metal Primer is better suited for ext rust priming. It comes in spray cans too. I like to spot the rust with it first, then spot over it with the cover stain. Partially because the Rustolem is red oxide color and can be hard to cover with white.

With the peeling, the Krylon spray can is not a very good choice for a finish on ext wood IMO. And certainly not for a primer (even though the can says so)
I would think, if you want to stick with the spray cans, to scrape off the peeling stuff first. Spot rust with Rustolem . Then prime it all with cover stain.
I don't know that any spray paint is going to perform well as a finish in this case. Best option is to finish with a good ext house paint.

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #3

Flaking paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
Cover Stain is a good primer and somewhat rust inhibitive if only by virtue of being oil based. It's not a real rust primer though. Rustolem Rusty Metal Primer is better suited for ext rust priming. It comes in spray cans too. I like to spot the rust with it first, then spot over it with the cover stain. Partially because the Rustolem is red oxide color and can be hard to cover with white.

With the peeling, the Krylon spray can is not a very good choice for a finish on ext wood IMO. And certainly not for a primer (even though the can says so)
I would think, if you want to stick with the spray cans, to scrape off the peeling stuff first. Spot rust with Rustolem . Then prime it all with cover stain.
I don't know that any spray paint is going to perform well as a finish in this case. Best option is to finish with a good ext house paint.
How long do I wait between using Rustoleum, Cover Stain and house paint?
Could you recommend a house paint in my case? I don't really have a lot of rust spots on my columns. Just a few. For general painting should I spray Cover Stain, wait a day and then use house paint?
Old 06-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #4

Flaking paint

Rusty metal primer (spray can variety) has a short re-coat window. Either prime over it within 45 minutes, or wait two days.
The spray cover stain can be top coated in one hour, but waiting a day is ok.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #5

Flaking paint

Quote:
Rusty metal primer (spray can variety) has a short re-coat window. Either prime over it within 45 minutes, or wait two days.
The spray cover stain can be top coated in one hour, but waiting a day is ok.
And then after all of that paint it correct? What type and name brand paint word you recommend in my case?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #6

Flaking paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpd

And then after all of that paint it correct? What type and name brand paint word you recommend in my case?
Yes, scrape to remove flakes, sanding is a good idea at this point also, prime, paint.
Lot of good options on finish paint. At Sherwin Williams, anything from A-100 to Emerald depending on how much you want to spend.
Ben Moore has there lower line of ext called Ben, all the way up to Aura.
I think valspar ultra is good paint for the price also.
Looks like satin sheen in the pics, but check a sheen chart at the store to make sure you get what you want.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #7

Flaking paint

Quote:

Yes, scrape to remove flakes, sanding is a good idea at this point also, prime, paint.
Lot of good options on finish paint. At Sherwin Williams, anything from A-100 to Emerald depending on how much you want to spend.
Looks like satin sheen in the pics, but check a sheen chart at the store to make sure you get what you want.
What sandpaper is ideal? I have flat white paint.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #8

Flaking paint

I'm guessing a lot of moisture is trapped in the box area of the pillar and that is contributing to the peeling paint as well.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #9

Flaking paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I'm guessing a lot of moisture is trapped in the box area of the pillar and that is contributing to the peeling paint as well.
Would should I do first instead of painting?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #10

Flaking paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpd View Post
Would should I do first instead of painting?
It looks like the wood is in contact with the concrete and the wood then acts as a wick soaking up the moisture from the concrete. If there is any way to put some sort of NON-wood barrier between the concrete and bottom of the pillar that would certainly help. Perhaps putting in some small vents (1/2 inch circular) in that base would also help. Just a few thoughts.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #11

Flaking paint

Quote:

Since I used flat spray paint (as in the picture) and now I'm going to use Glidden Premium flat white paint, will the shade be off ? I ask because I am only spot treating a few areas. I don't want the white to be too light or dark.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #12

Flaking paint

Quote:

Since I used flat spray paint (as in the picture) and now I'm going to use Glidden Premium flat white paint, will the shade be off ? I ask because I am only spot treating a few areas. I don't want the white to be too light or dark.
Wait. Stop. If you painted the whole post with the Krylon spray can, that might change things.
Looks like oil base.

If you just spotted with it, the cover stain will probably take care of it.

Last edited by Jmayspaint; 06-16-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #13

Flaking paint

Quote:

Wait. Stop. If you painted the whole post with the Krylon spray can, that might change things.
Looks like oil base.
But I'm still going to buy flat paint. What changed?
Old 06-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #14

Flaking paint

Quote:
But I'm still going to buy flat paint. What changed?
If you sprayed oil base flat paint on the post, that will affect adhesion of a latex top coat. Even though there both 'flat paint.
Look closer and make sure the Krylon is oil, ..looks like it from pic.
The cover stain is considered an effective bond coat for making the change from oil to latex. Sanding well is also good, and sanding alone will improve adhesion.
Latex over oil can be a peeling mess.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #15

Flaking paint

Quote:

If you sprayed oil base flat paint on the post, that will affect adhesion of a latex top coat. Even though there both 'flat paint.
Look closer and make sure the Krylon is oil, ..looks like it from pic.
The cover stain is considered an effective bond coat for making the change from oil to latex. Sanding well is also good, and sanding alone will improve adhesion.
Latex over oil can be a peeling mess.
The only thing that I did is use the rustoleum rusty metal and cover stain. I haven't painted anything yet. What's my next steps? Stick to the Krylon?