Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flaking external walls

Hi I live in an old house in the countryside; subject to very wet, windy weather. The walls are solid and rendered. some of the external paintwork is peeling off due to previously using cheap paint. I need to stabilize these walls prior to re-painting with 'Dulux Weathershield Masonry Paint'. I had thought of jet-washing all the very loose paint off, allowing the wall to dry and applying a 'Unibond' and water undercoat. Does anyone have any other, better ideas? Back to top

peakpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Flaking external walls

Well - you have damp inner walls and peeling paint on the outside.
A brick home?

I'm no pro in your area of issues but it seems to me as if your problem is bigger than you realize and the external and internal problem is connected. If your walls have become saturated thoroughly due to humidity and rain-exposure and so forth then just treating them likely won't take care of the issue.

So, I'd try to really get to the bottom of your entire problem before spending money and time on something that might not work at all. . . . and I'll let others give their ideas for why you might be experiencing these issues.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Flaking external walls

What are the walls made of?
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote