Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Fixing weekend house staining that went awry

Hi... Let me just preface this with the fact that I totally believe that most things should be done by a professional... including painting/staining the exterior of a house. Which we were going to do until I lost my job 2 months ago! So here's what I have (sorry it's terribly wrong) and I would greatly appreciate any ideas of a course of action to remedy the situation we're currently in.

We own a 36 year old house with cedar shake siding. It has not had any treatment in at least the last 25 years, possibly ever. It was deteriorated and moldy and gross and quite dark colored (could have been treated way back when). Unfortunately we had to replace some shingles due to new windows and woodpecker holes. These shingles are of course light colored and made the house look gross.

Last summer we powerwashed the house, it evened out a bit of the color but was still unacceptable looking. This summer we knew we had to do something. So we got quotes to paint/stain the house and literally the week after I lost my job.

So now we have to do it ourselves. We borrowed staging and a professional powerwasher from a friend, and bought A-100 oil based primer and Woodscapes solid stain from Sherwin Williams. After spending friday priming the house and then saturday staining the house (beautiful weather got 2 coats of stain on and 1 coat of primer) there appears to be white "stripes" going horizontally around the house.

We have this fiber board backer stuff behind each course of shingles that makes them have a blank space between each course of shingles, so to get the primer up under that the airless sprayer was held at an angle (bad idea we realize now). This made the bottom of the gun fan load up paint in the somewhat deep groves in the shakes from the serious neglect. Unfortunately we didn't realize at the time that the difference in application thicknesses was going to then change how the light was on the house and the shadows in the individual shakes and make it look like white stripes around the house. We realize now that we should have at a minimum back brushed the primer to make sure it was evenly in the groves of the shakes or else just brushe the primer on the old fashioned way.

So, now we don't know what to do. Is there anything we can put on this perfect storm of undesirable factors to even out the groves in the shakes so our house looks uniform?? As I said, we really wish we'd had the $$ to have this done professionally, but that just didn't work out for use and the house really needed something on it!!

Thanks for reading...

jb888s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,028

Stain is really designed to penetrate the wood rather than bond to a surface, so priming actually reduces it's ability to soak into the wood. Atleast you did use an oil based primer and a solid stain, so you should be ok. We just did 2 houses with Woodscapes and it is a good stain, for latex One thing that could have helped was having the primer tinted to match the finish color so the gaps would not be as noticeable. Next time skip the primer all together and stain away.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #3

You may not want to think of this as an option, but you could always paint it solid so it's even all around. I know usually that material is stained, but if you can't get it even, paint is always available.
chicuniques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
The DIYer Assistant

Rewards Points: 25

Hey there jb888s! Crappola indeed, exterior staining and painting can be one of the most time-intensive projects any house can demand. That's why a lot of the pros out there can charge an arm and a leg for it! The reason for the initial discoloration of your wood was from something called "Tannin-bleed". These tannins are naturally occuring water-soluble solvents usually found in cedar and redwood. Rain or other moisture, especially over untreated surfaces, and most over time (something it sounds like your house has had!) can cause these tannins to leech to the surface. Normally the best way to take care of these is to get a 2in1 cleaner brightener product for exterior wood surfaces, apply it full strength, let it sit 20 min moist, then power wash on low to medium pressure (under 1400 psi) until the suds are gone. But that's only truly necessary if you want a clear weather proofing coat or semi tranparent wood stain. For your project you did the right thing by getting an oil based primer to go on first. This primer was able to soak deeply into the wood and then cure, unlike a traditional latex or water-based primer which normally just sits on the top. You also did the right thing by getting a solid color stain, which by its very nature sits on the top of the wood and works well with your primer. Matthewt1970 was right when he said that primers can be tinted. This goes for any project so always think about it becuse it dramatically cuts down on how many topcoats need to go on (2 is perfect). Just as you said, your real issue was the application with the sprayer. Back rolling or brushing is always a necessity when spraying, especially on rough cedar. As far as solving your problem now? Any solution will take time, whether you decide to use a good exterior/interior spackling to blend in the areas, then re-prime and paint, or you manually go in a scrap it down, re-prime and paint. Is there anyway you could take a few pictures? This may allow some folks to come up with some more ideas for you! Good luck!

Last edited by TheDIYerGuy; 08-14-2009 at 11:26 PM. Reason: couple extra details
TheDIYerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:03 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,088

That's why a lot of the pros out there can charge an arm and a leg for it!

We can charge a REASONABLE price for doing it because we are professionals who get paid for their knowledge and expertise at what they do, just like any other business. Do you know how to drill and fill your teeth? Probably not, that is why you go to a dentist, who will no doubt charge you an arm and a leg, but that's what he gets paid to do.and you happily( maybe not) pay for that knowledge.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
The DIYer Assistant

Rewards Points: 25

Hey chrisn, you're absolutely right, my comment was directed from a DIYer point of view, not from someone who wants to pay for someone to do professionally do it. However, if you pay a professional, your chances of having it come looking proffesional increase dramatically. I meant no disrespect to any of the contractors or other professionals :P.
TheDIYerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #7
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 512

@diyerguy

As a professional house painting contractor I think your out of line by saying professional painters charge an arm and a leg for there services. That's BS. I can tell you that most of us charge for our time, quality materials, our skills, our knowledge, our pride, our integrity, our insurance, our employees, our, gas, our maintenance, and a ton of other over head that's involved. A highly skilled painting contractor has earned his pay rate. And if you feel that painting contractors get rich fast as you make it sound, then you should start a business, but maybe you really don't have the skill or experience to do that, from reading some of your replys, you sound like you think you know it all, but how many of the products that you've recommended have you really applied????
Have a good day
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:35 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,088

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
@diyerguy

As a professional house painting contractor I think your out of line by saying professional painters charge an arm and a leg for there services. That's BS. I can tell you that most of us charge for our time, quality materials, our skills, our knowledge, our pride, our integrity, our insurance, our employees, our, gas, our maintenance, and a ton of other over head that's involved. A highly skilled painting contractor has earned his pay rate. And if you feel that painting contractors get rich fast as you make it sound, then you should start a business, but maybe you really don't have the skill or experience to do that, from reading some of your replys, you sound like you think you know it all, but how many of the products that you've recommended have you really applied????
Have a good day
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #9

Hey 'housepaintingny', not for nothin' but 'TheDIYerGuy' already apologized for coming across wrong. Why don't you read the posts before you post so you don't look bitter?
chicuniques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #10

Holy smokes!! Did anyone read my original post?? I am currently unemployed, so money isn't quite flowing so much right now. My income was 2/3 of the household income, so needless to say, we're noticing the drop!! We had gone out and got quotes literally the week prior to my losing my job. One would think that it would be a given that without a job dropping eight THOUSAND dollars is somewhat out of the question... That kind of money is a lot of mortgage payments... and without those the house color/look is a moot point. I'm a professional civil engineer licensed in 2 states, and if someone gets themselves in a bind I'll typically try to help and not flame them for not hiring me in the first place.

It does not appear that the house is having a tannin bleeding issue. We washed and prep'd the house, cleaned it, used bleach and TSP on it and powerwashed it. We then used SW A-100 primer and screwed up the application using an airless sprayer because each row of shingles has this fiber board crap under them to create some sort of architectural edge/shadow thing. So, unfortunately when my partner applied the primer he pointed the gun up to get the primer under the shingles, which therefor laid a thicker "band" of primer along the gun fan base. Now, looking back on this we realize we should have back brushed the primer to stop the band of thicker primer application, but at the time, we didn't realize this would be an issue. The color differentiation that we are seeing is due to the thick primer bands filling the groves in the cedar shingles/shakes and not having the shadows that the other areas have where there is less of a primer build up.

The only solution we have thought of was to sand off all of the stain and primer and smooth out the cedar groves as much as possible. This would then require us to go to SW and purchase once again the primer and stain and do the application all over again. Which one might remember is a bit of a hinderance with my whole unemployed status. However, even with the purchase of all the materials twice we would only be out about $1500 which is a far easier pill to swallow than the quoted $8000. I do believe anyone can understand how this would be the preferred alternative at this time.
Thanks
Jessica
jb888s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 512
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicuniques View Post
Hey 'housepaintingny', not for nothin' but 'TheDIYerGuy' already apologized for coming across wrong. Why don't you read the posts before you post so you don't look
bitter?
Hey 'chicuniqes' nothing for nothing
I did read the post before posting and if you would have read what I wrote you would have understood. Thanks and have a great evening.

Last edited by housepaintingny; 08-17-2009 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote