Fixing Torn Sheetrock Paper - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

fixing torn sheetrock paper

Ok getting ready to prime and paint. I need to touch up a few spots where I gouged into the sheetrock paper. I started on the one wall and skimed it with mud. It seems ok but someone said I need to mesh it and durabond and prime and etc.....
Cant I just skim with mud and oil prime and top coat with laytex ?

Advertisement

cvcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Gardz.
Attached Images

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #3

Humm ok so how much ****z am I in...wallpaper removed, all walls washed to death and nice and clean...The spots I dug are about the size of a half dollar, just ripped thru the paint that was on the rock and the top layer of paper,maybe a nick into the rock...I have already skimmed on entire wall where there were any spots with mud and its nice an smooth and flat, no lifting paper..

If I was going to have a problem would it have happened already ?? I bought the oil based low odor primer tinted to the top coat color, can I go ahead and prime the entire wall over the spots I skimmed ??

I understand the Guardz issue but again if the mud is dry, sanded smooth and looks good and flat am I ok ??

Thank you
Old 03-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

You know you want to. Do it.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #5

you can feel that thru the computer ?? Lol I just want this project DONE ! Its killing me...Brush, you think its ok if the paper is flat after and during my skim ??
Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

You're fine. The walls are washed. The only thing I would have done differently is prime w/oil first, then spackle. The primer reveals a lot more. The only thing you shouldn't skim over is the brown layer of the sheetrock without oil priming that first. It could cause blistering and must be sealed first.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
boman47k (03-29-2011), cvcman (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

CVC- you seem to make up your mind, and then ask a question- but for the record- after I stripped and cleansed, before any patching I would prime. Of course I would use gardz because I know that would work well and i could continue within an hour. But we've been through that and you want to use oil. So I would oil prime ,particularly the torn spots, but all for reasons mentioned before to you, and let thoroughly dry- usually overnight, patch, at least spot prime the patches and then eye it over- correct as needed, repeat and paint.
But hey, that's just me.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #8

Yea I hear ya, BUT now that I have ALREADY skimmed the spots of torn paper with mud BEFORE priming and its flat and smooth with no bubbling am I good to go ahead and prime everything with the oil primer and top coat ? Or do I need to redo what I have skimmed ?

AGain IF there was going to be a problem where I skimmed wouldnt I see it now ?? And wont the oil lock down everything ?

Thanks again ALL
Old 03-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

I see no problem with using oil for these patches. By far what I use most of the time. No problem so far that I am aware of.

Actually, hard to say what to do,imo, in your situation since we cannot see what was done and exactly how it was done.

Btw, I would have clean what loose mat I could and primed, patched and primed.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #10

I guess my only ? is, I have ALREADY skimmed the spots with mud, the spots are dry, smooth and look good, am I ok to oil prime the whole wall and top coat ? So IF it all looks good and smooth now it should bubble up the paper when I prime right ?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

You've already done it, even though you we given other advise earlier. So go ahead, I know you want to.
If something bubbles, I'm sure you'll be back ( even though the solution to that is already given. ) No one is going to say take your skim off so give 'er a shot.
Sorry ( kind of) about being cynical- but you don't want to follow any ones directions or advice- so go for it.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #12

Brush, I may NOT have followed YOUR advise but remember there were more advise givers to me than you I guess I was just asking a ? that IF there was going to be a bubbling problem it should have happened when I mudded it correct ? So...seeing that it didnt and its flat,tight and smooth, just like my gut, I should probably be ok right .
Dont worry i wont come back at you

If you read my other post you will see I did follow some peoples advise it just didnt happen to be yours Thanks anyway
Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
Yea I hear ya, BUT now that I have ALREADY skimmed the spots of torn paper with mud BEFORE priming and its flat and smooth with no bubbling am I good to go ahead and prime everything with the oil primer and top coat ? Or do I need to redo what I have skimmed ?

AGain IF there was going to be a problem where I skimmed wouldnt I see it now ?? And wont the oil lock down everything ?

Thanks again ALL
If you didn't get any bubbling you should be okay priming with oil. If you spackled over exposed brown rock paper and then put latex over it the water in the latex would seep into the brown and vaporize and bubble. Always prime first after paper removal and then spackle.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #14
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcman
I guess I was just asking a ? that IF there was going to be a bubbling problem it should have happened when I mudded it correct ?
Probably NOT. You're not likely to see a problem until you paint.... If one is going to happen.

Quote:
So...seeing that it didnt and its flat,tight and smooth, just like my gut,
PICTURES OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

Quote:
I should probably be ok right .
or maybe or . but thanks for the laugh.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #15

Humm explain something to me.... If the water in the mud didnt bubble it how can the water in the paint IF I used laytex get thru the mud and bubble it ?

And...how come oil paint will seal it and not bubble the paper ?? I would think the mositure in the wet oil paint would bubble too ?

I had these walls wet like crazy while washing them and none of these spots were bubbling...

Oh well

Advertisement