Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Fixing ceiling painted with SW Visible Solutions

Hi everyone,

My husband and I just spent a lot of time trying to paint our ceiling with SW Visible Solutions only to have it look absolutely horrible. After searching today I found post after post about how awful this stuff is. Unfortunately it's too late for us so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on fixing this problem. You can see all the roller marks on our ceiling and there are weird sections that are very rough (like sandpaper) and we are worried that it is ruined now. It's been a very frustrating experience and we are hoping that SW will refund our money.

Thanks for any help you can give us. I don't want to spend any more time on this ceiling!

tekaquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
NAV

Rewards Points: 75

I have never used the material but I can tell you why you ended up with a crappy finished product.

the roller marks can be caused by a couple things 1) you used a cheap roller sleve - i use 3/4" nap sleve and spend about $5 with my discount for it 2) when you rolled you did not apply even pressure leaving what we call in the painting industry "railroad tracks" - roller tracks for an inexperienced painter can be prevented by backrolling wile the material is still wet and not putting a ton of pressure on the frame.

the rough areas are caused by dry rolling - again a cheap roller sleve or a roller sleve that is not thick enough can cause this. the number one reason for dry rolling is you did not have enough paint on your roller.

there are 2 ways to fix your problem - the first is to sand down everywhere it looks like crap. the second is if you can not sand out the roller tracks you may have to skim coat them with mud. Both solutions involve repainting the entire ceiling.

seeing as how your problems are applicator error i doubt SW will refund your money, but if they know you and you have been buying a lot of material you have a good chance on getting free paint to re-do the project. good luck.

NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #3

thanks, but it is not user error...we used the best roller sleeve they had at SW and we have never had this problem before with any other paint. And when I looked up this problem found a considerable amount of people who have had the same problem with this specific paint.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
NAV

Rewards Points: 75

Roller tracks are user error. you applied too much pressure to one side of your roller frame and did not backroll.

the material may be difficult to apply but the problems you described are all related to the application. sorry.
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #5

then I'm not explaining the problem correctly because that is not what happened. The primer looked fine after we applied it (no roller marks) and we have never had this problem before in the many paint jobs we have done
Old 10-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would check with SW. Perhaps you did get some bad paint that was stored or transported improperly or something.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Haste Makes Waste

Rewards Points: 250

I experienced the same problem with SW Classic last summer; they replaced and upgraded the paint to Superpaint which was great to use and looks excellent. Btw, I was using Purdy White Dove 3/8" at the time; upgraded to 1/2" (10' walls).

saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling paint, sherwin williams, visible solutions