First Time Painting, Help Me Answer These Questions Please! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2009, 04:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

First time painting, help me answer these questions please!

I would like to paint this space white and gray ( wall white & gray /door gray ).

I'm just unsure where to start because I'm painting over those current colors. As you can see, it's of yellow/orange tone.

Do I need a primer? Also which brand of paint would be the best?

I see that some people here are against using Behr but I saw Behr premium plus ultra that includes primer in the paint if this is at all necessary.

There are no windows for air circulation and was wondering if this is going to be a big problem getting rid of the paint odour.

Lastly, is it necessary to detach the door to paint it?

I would like some ideas so that I can get this job done fast and easy.

thx!
Attached Images

Advertisement

ladee111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Clear walls and patch holes
Prime with Ben Moore Fresh Start primer
Paint with Ben Moore paint( sheen of your choice, normally flat for walls and semi gloss fro trim
DO NOT use Behr paint( BM is good but any other paint from a REAL paint store will work,AVOID big box stores)
All of these REAL paint stores will have low odor paint
No need to detach the door

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
WindowTreatment Installer

Rewards Points: 75

I would also suggest using painters tape to tape off the drop ceiling, base board and trim around doors.
bobtheblindguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn
Clear walls and patch holes
Ayup
Quote:
Prime with Ben Moore Fresh Start primer
Ayup...you'll want to prime as you are going light/white over some pretty intense colors
Any "self-priming" paint (and there are and have been many on the market most of which are better than the Behr product) refers to a more straight-up project like new plaster, and NOT to specialty projects such as water stains, removed wall covering repaints, or going over bright colors with white
Though "Freshy" is my preferred primer, Zinsser (1-2-3) and Sherwin Williams (...I forget the name of the high-hide primer, but it's good) also have good products for this project
Quote:
Paint with Ben Moore paint( sheen of your choice, normally flat for walls and semi gloss fro trim
Ayup
Again, although a BM premium line (Regal/Natura/Aura) would be my preference (for many reasons, one of which will be clear later on), Pittsburgh and Sherwin Williams (and Muralo and California) all have good premium lines

As for sheen, I'd differ a bit from Chris though
Maybe it's a regional thing, but I honestly have not done flat on walls in....well I can't remember when (though traditionally it has been flat)
Most of my customers want some sort of "wash-ability", and choose an eggshell sheen
For those that want (or need due to questionable surfaces) the flattest wall paint that is still wash-able, I've been using "matte" (which is basically a wash-able flat, (with a barely desernable sheen)

Trim-wise, (again) traditionally it's been semi-gloss, but the last few years, at least out this way, have led to more and more a satin on trim and doors and cabinets
So for most of my customers lately (the last five years or so), it's been eggshell/matte and satin on the trim
Quote:
DO NOT use Behr paint( BM is good but any other paint from a REAL paint store will work,AVOID big box stores)
All of these REAL paint stores will have low odor paint
Ayup....and as for BM's Natura it is unusual to say the least that even the most sensative person can detect an odor (less so even than their Aura, an "ultra-low" rather than "no" VOC paint), and the fact that it dries right quick for the next coat thus putting an end to said project in one day rather than two, I'd say it'd be worth it for you to visit your local independant BM dealer
Quote:
No need to detach the door
Ayup
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #5

thank you all for your replies.

Patch holes? there are a few nail holes if that's what you mean. i heard you can patch nail holes with toothpaste.

Primer then paint huh? would this take a long time? The office is about 600sqft but around 400sqft will be painted + 3 doors.

How fast does a primer dry up? should I prime the wall then come back the next day to paint?

as for BM natura, some people have mentioned that the odour is worse than aura but I'll go into BM and definitely see what they offer.

What does "washable" paint mean?

Lastly, which brush and rollers are the best?

Sorry for asking so many questions but my area is very limited to Home depot, Rowes and BM near by.
ladee111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

You can get a spacking or filler compound to fill the nail holes and other imperfections. Do remove all the switch and outlet covers, ceiling lights, etc. - don't try to tape and paint around them...

Use a primer to get better coverage, especially over bolder existing colors - it will save you a coat pr two of paint and come out better. I like to get my primer tinted with the cover coat color for even better coverage - any paint store will easily do for you just ask. Prime one day, then do the cover coat(s) the next.

For rollers and brushes you can get cheaper or more costly - if you are going reuse the tools the better are worth the money.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
WindowTreatment Installer

Rewards Points: 75

3/4 nap roller for primer, flat and satin finish paint. 3/8 to 1/2 nap for semi gloss. At HD just ask for the best quality rollers and brushes don't skimp too much here. Will make a difference. Tip , when finished painting for the day instead of washing brushes and rollers. Put them in an plastic grocery bag and store in fridge. Take out in moring and contuine painting. As far as washable paint, the harder the finish the more washable. Most washable is gloss then semi gloss then satin , eggshell and the least washable is flat.
bobtheblindguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:50 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Just go to the BM store and ask all these questions, they will be happy to answer and give you face to face answers as more questions pop up. Do not buy your painting supplies at HD, the quality is no good.This is your home you are working on so I would assume you want the best job possible without just hiring a pro, do not skimp on quality primer, paint or supplies.

I would be very cautious using anything larger than a 1/2 inch nap for the DIY, especially with semi-gloss. Again, get directions at the store,NOT HD.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #9

1. Use spackle to fill holes with putty knife. Standard spackle (heavy) takes longer to dry then the new light-as-air spackle. You can usually sand spackle after 6 hrs or so. Very heavy areas take longer to dry. Sand it flush with wall. The light spackle works just as well as heavy spackle.
2. 2 coats of flat white wall paint will probably cover the yellow. You don't really need a primer. Buy a roller nap size that is consistent with the wall texture (semi-smooth, smooth, etc.)
3. Roll the paint straight up and down with long strokes using roller with long handle.
4. Don't squeeze out all of the paint every time you roll. Leave a little in the roller. If you squeeze out all of the paint in roller it makes it harder to pick up paint in tray.
5. Get rid of roller lines and brush strokes. Go over roller lines with roller right away until lines are gone. If you don't get rid of lines they will be noticable when paint dries.
6. Washable paint means it can be cleaned without leaving smudges on the paint. Flat latex paint is not washable. Oil-based paint is washable.

Last edited by cool09; 12-30-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: add
cool09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

cool 09 says

". 2 coats of flat white wall paint will probably cover the yellow. You don't really need a primer. "

Key word here is PROBABLY, Why take that chance, just prime and do it right. 2 coats of flat white will cost as much if not more than 1 coat of primer

and again

"6. Washable paint means it can be cleaned without leaving smudges on the paint. Flat latex paint is not washable."

This is just false, there are flat paints that are washable, you just cannot buy them at the big box stores.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #11

I have just recently begun painting also. I was advised by my local paint shop to use oil based enamel paint for the skirting and architraves - the enamel is essential especially for skirting as it is hardwearing, and he suggested the oil based, as this dries slower which will help eliminate brush marks for a slower, inexperienced painter.
However, of course with oil based, you do get the strong smell which takes a few days to dissipate, especially if you have no ventilation in the room.

Please do not add advertising links to your posts
It is against our posting rules & repeat violations will result in your being banned

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 01-05-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: adv links removed
mj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj04 View Post
I have just recently begun painting also. I was advised by my local paint shop to use oil based enamel paint for the skirting and architraves - the enamel is essential especially for skirting as it is hardwearing, and he suggested the oil based, as this dries slower which will help eliminate brush marks for a slower, inexperienced painter.
However, of course with oil based, you do get the strong smell which takes a few days to dissipate, especially if you have no ventilation in the room.

In other parts of the world this would be ideal, here, oil based paints are being phased out ,so other alternatives must be used.

Advertisement