First-Time Painter Needs Advice From Experienced Gurus - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

First-Time painter needs advice from experienced gurus

Hello Everyone

I'm a student, moving into an apartment on 9/10. I initially wanted to pick out the colors and have a contractor do it but the prices scared me off... I mean, it's just painting, after all...

I have a couple of questions and I'm hoping you all can steer me in the right direction.

The living room is 16.5'x 15', bedroom is 11.5' x 11.5' and the "dining" room is 8' x 8', the ceiling is 9'. According to my calculations, I need about 3.5 Gallons ( 7 for a double coat )...is this correct?

I intend to go with a flat, dark paint, SW 7594 "Carriage Door" or anything similar. I live alone, so it's not a high traffic area and it doesn't have to be the most washable. I just want to be able to enjoy movies/games/sports and avoid reflective surfaces without having to paint the whole place black.

I keep hearing good things about ProMar 200 but don't know if its available in all colors. Most of the recommendations of ProMar are for white/off-white, I wanted to know if the recommendation is also valid for darker colors...

Finally, I'd like to double check the equipment list before I order, this is going to be a one-man job...

1 x Purdy XL Dale 3" - For Cutting In
1 x 2" x 60yds Painter's Masking Tape
1 x Heavy Duty Canvas Dropcloth 12' x 15'
1 x Wooster Sherlock Wide Boy 12" to 18" - Roller Frame
1 x Wooster Sherlock GT Convertible 4' to 8' - Extension Pole

Wooster 50/50 1/2" x 18" ( Need to figure ot roughly how many I'll need...any ideas?"

Paint Roller Tray, Gloves, Respirator, Lacquer Thinner.. A small ladder perhaps...?

I put the list together after researching for a week and lurking on several forums especially your sister site for contractors and professionals..., I'm sure I overlooked a bunch of stuff. I'm sure that I'll move in with the apartment freshly painted in some beige/off-white color, but with reasonably smooth surfaces.

Just trying to soak up [ pun intended] as much as I can.

Thank yo for your time. I'm Excited about this, even though my security deposit will probably be voided

Advertisement

RiBKiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

the list looks good. I personally would stay away from flat paint. I find it almost impossible to clean. It smudges when you clean it and makes the matter worse. Even if you are a neat person walls will get dirty and dusty. I would go with a satin.

Advertisement

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 512

It may be just painting but there is often a remarkable difference between a job done by a pro and one done by an amateur. For a rental unit though, you are smart to do it yourself.

Your equipment list looks pretty good - Just a few tweaks -

* go with the 2 1/2" sash for cutting - 3" can be tough to control for the beginner

* get yourself a runner or two (4x12' drop sheet) - they are much easier to move around a room when you are painting walls, and only get a 12x15 if you are doing the ceilings.

* one inch painters tape is better and easier to work with.

* you will need a step ladder to do the high cuts with 9 foot ceilings.

* stick to water based paint if at all possible. First time painting and a rental at that, you do not want to be messing around with oil paint and heavy solvents (lacquer thinner).

Good luck! Should be a good project. As a final note, you should check with your landlord about painting. They may give you a discount on first month's rent, or at least pay for the paint.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBKiN View Post
Thank yo for your time. I'm Excited about this, even though my security deposit will probably be voided
I have talked to Landlords in the past
In most cases - depending upon your colors - they are OK with painting
And in many cases will definitely take your security deposit given any reason to do so
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:45 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,236

As windows said, no need for oil paint here, latex is cheaper and easier to use,I also agree on the 2 1/2 in brush, I would skip the 18 in roller sleeve and go with the traditional 9 in. Much easier to work with IMO

Respirator, Lacquer Thinner.. why would you need these 2 items???

answer, you don't!

Last edited by chrisn; 08-21-2010 at 05:47 AM.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:59 AM   #6

Wow.

First. Sorry about the comment I made about it being just I didn't mean it in a bad way at all, and I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. I know there's a big difference between pro and am but in the age of youtube and message boards I feel a little due diligence and can go a long way.

I'm not sure why I chose a 3" brush for cutting, I just pulled out a tape measure and estimated what I'd be comfortable painting with. It follows that 2.5" would be better for a beginner so I'll make that change and save a penny here and there... Same logic applies to the roller frame/cover. I guess I should be prioritizing control instead of speed.

I'll be doing the ceilings too, but I had somehow overlooked the runner, thanks for pointing that out. I will not, however, be purchasing one of those special paints designed specifically for ceiling applications ...

I'm having serious difficulties deciding on the paint. After another day of reading about other peoples' experiences I'm having trouble convincing myself that an affordable washable flat exists. It seems like a little sheen is unavoidable. I also keep hear conflicting views about darker colors covering poorly and the presence of BM and SW fanboys isn't making the choice easier.

Thanks for the tip on waterbased and latex paints. If anyone has experience with matte-style, dark reddish purplish/brown paints please PM me in case I'm overlooking something. I'll probably have no choice but to sample.

I feel more confident about the project already. Thanks again for offering your thoughts.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,070

They are both great paints. Their contractor stuff will save you some money as well (MB Pro Spec and SW Promar 200). They may not cover as well, but unless you are painting the exact same color that is on perfect unpatched walls and the exact same sheen, you will need two coats anyways.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 08-22-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Name calling not allowed.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:33 PM   #8

I've heard good things about BM Aura, and I'm particularly interested because I'm going for a darker reddish/brown color. But apparently even pros say there something of a learning curve - some say it dries too fast. I'm leaning towards Regal Matte or Duration Home Matte, I guess the price will be the determining factor. Project starts in ten days, I'll post back with my findings and before/after pics.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #9

I'm a first time landlord / rental house painter too. I'm sure I'll be popping in here for much advice while I reno this house, but just an FYI, Sherwin Williams paint is 30% off starting this Sunday (8/29) going through Labor Day. I'm going to go for the Duration for the exterior and either that or the Superpaint for the interior. I can't pass up a good deal
queenofgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #10

Every day, my opinion about whether to go with SW or BM changes.

I picked my colors using the tools available on the SW website.

Every paint has it's flaw, there's no getting around that. Instead of painting the whole apartment in one color, I'm painting the living/dining - bathroom - and bedroom in 3 different schemes. I'm starting with the ceiling in the living/dining and I hear that both manufacturer's ceiling paints are pretty much on the same level.

I want to go with SW for the walls too, but my "living room" is more like a media room and I hear that some of these matte paints are shiny...

Anyway, next step is to actually get samples, then probably draft some pro help to spray paint the ceiling in just a matter of minutes. I wonder how much they'd charge for just the ceiling if I supplied the paint...

Time to hit craigslist again, hope I don't get bids starting in the 500's again.

BTW I've only now just noticed this site's color scheme... it's pretty cool... I love navy blue type colors
Old 08-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

I have been painting all my life.

Here are a few tips:

Always use a latex, low sheen on walls - eggshell (1 sheen above flat), flat on ceiling, semi gloss for doors and trim. Only exception to this is for bathrooms use satin for walls and a semi gloss for everything else.

If you use blue painters tape to edge roll away from the tape not up to it, this will keep the paint from being forced under the tape.

Caulk all gaps with an acrylic/sillicone caulk - this will remain flexible and not crack around wood/mdf trim like cheap latex painters caulk will as temp/humidity changes in the room.

Don't pay $40 for a gallon of paint. Can you tell the difference between a high quality paint like Sherwin Williams duration and a low quality paint like Glidden's America's finest. As an exterior application no question, interior not so much to the untrained eye especially with the shadows, artificial lighting,etc. Since you are renting your landlord may ask that you return the color of the rooms to the original white or whatever color was there. Difference in application - minimal for interior applications really depends on what color you go with, two coats minimum of any paint.

Don't skimp on the quality of your brush 2- 2.5" is what you want.

Respirators never hurt (it's the drying of the paint over the course of weeks that leach the majority of the VOC's).

Keep as much fresh air in the room as possible.

Get a strong plastic roller tray with brush holder.

Use a rubberized comfortable roller handle 9" is all you need.
gjjr2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #12

I posted a poll on another site, since I'm struggling to pick between 5 colors on my shortlist. I assume some colors might have different characteristics in terms of application, and reflection. Assuming I want the flattest, least reflective surfaces, which color do you guys think will best. I think I'm going with Cashmere...

Also I hear that dark colors seem to have a sheen to them, is that a generalization or does it just apply to Duration Home matte? And, is BM really that much better with darker colors, and reds than SW?
Old 08-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBKiN View Post
I posted a poll on another site, since I'm struggling to pick between 5 colors on my shortlist. I assume some colors might have different characteristics in terms of application, and reflection. Assuming I want the flattest, least reflective surfaces, which color do you guys think will best. I think I'm going with Cashmere...

Also I hear that dark colors seem to have a sheen to them, is that a generalization or does it just apply to Duration Home matte? And, is BM really that much better with darker colors, and reds than SW?
Speaking from experience, Sherwin Williams is our vendor of choice for our residential, commercial, and industrial coatings. We have necr had a problem with any of there coatings covering in dark colors. We use Duration interior a lot for our interior repaints. With any dark color it will depend on the color on the walls already. I don't care what brand of paint you use if you have white walls or real light color walls and you paint a red, blue, or another deep base color over the light color, the light color will actually bleed through, causing you to have to apply more than two coats of paint, so depending on what color your walls are now and what color you will be painting you may want to prime first with a tinted primer to prevent you from having to apply excess coats.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
RiBKiN (08-28-2010)
Old 08-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
I don't care what brand of paint you use if you have white walls or real light color walls and you paint a red, blue, or another deep base color over the light color, the light color will actually bleed through, causing you to have to apply more than two coats of paint
Damn that sucks.

There's no way I'm going with more than 2 coats.

Advertisement

Tags
dark , flat paint , media room , sherin williams