First Time With Lowes “valcrap” Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

First time with Lowes “valcrap” paint

We’ve been painting rooms in our home for over 40 years. In the past 10 years we’ve re-painted the family room, kitchen, 2 bathrooms, and more. We have always used Bear paint from Home Depot or Sherman Williams.

They just built a new Lowes near our home so we tried Valspar, and our new project is the first floor bathroom. It’s a full bath, w/ shower, but we only use it to bath the dogs. We painted the upper half of the room and started putting tile on the lower half. About 2 weeks after we painted we got to the point where we needed to start doing the cap work at the top of the tile, so we put some blue painters tape on the wall at the point of what was going to be the top of the tile and started installing the upper tile.

When we removed the tape it pulled the paint right off the walls. In 40 years we’ve never had that happen and this stuff is supposed to be paint and primer in one.

Lowes was useless. We asked them about it and they said we didn’t prep the walls properly, our problem, not even an offer of a refund. We certainly didn’t want another can of paint!

So, here is the question: what now? Our first thought is to put painter’s tape of the rest of the wall to see if we can remove the rest of the garbage paint, but is there a better way.

We are afraid to paint over it for fear that the “valcrap” will act like a barrier so the good stuff will peel off also by pulling the valcrap off with it.

Advertisement

papageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 296

It is hard to deal with the different types of tape, as there are a number of brands and varieties. The "Delicate" surface product is usually recommended to fresth paint, as it has less tack to it.

Advertisement

Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

yea its the paints fault . its nothing you could have done wrong with prep.or application .
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
yea its the paints fault . its nothing you could have done wrong with prep.or application .
This is far from the first room I've ever painted. The walls were wiped down and lightly sanded. The paint had dried for 7 days before I started tiling, and another 7 days before I put the tape on, and yes, it was the kind for "delicate" surfaces. I just wanted to make sure that the grout I put on the wall did not extend into the fresh paint. The tape was only one for a few hours.

Like I said, I've painted many rooms before, This is just the first time with Valspar! And the last also!
papageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,272

Sorry to hear of your bad experience, Papageek. Valspar from Lowe's, although it's not great paint, is decent stuff for the price. I work in a poor, depressed area where lots of people buy Valspar so I put a good bit of it on. I don't have too many problems although one customer had issues with the paint turning white if you rubbed against it after it had dried.

In the future I would recommend Sherwin-Williams Superpaint. It's great stuff reasonably priced.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:34 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

1) Did you prime the wall after cleaning before applying the finish coat?
2) Did you check if the wall was oil based or latex?
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

And remember, there is no such thing as paint and primer in one so ignore that marketing nonsense.

None of the box store paints stack up well against real paint store paint. The box stores could not hold their insane product margins, at the price point, if they did. Hence they sell a somewhat good enough for the unwashed masses product.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by papageek View Post
We’ve been painting rooms in our home for over 40 years. In the past 10 years we’ve re-painted the family room, kitchen, 2 bathrooms, and more. We have always used Bear paint from Home Depot or Sherman Williams.

They just built a new Lowes near our home so we tried Valspar, and our new project is the first floor bathroom. It’s a full bath, w/ shower, but we only use it to bath the dogs. We painted the upper half of the room and started putting tile on the lower half. About 2 weeks after we painted we got to the point where we needed to start doing the cap work at the top of the tile, so we put some blue painters tape on the wall at the point of what was going to be the top of the tile and started installing the upper tile.

When we removed the tape it pulled the paint right off the walls. In 40 years we’ve never had that happen and this stuff is supposed to be paint and primer in one.

Lowes was useless. We asked them about it and they said we didn’t prep the walls properly, our problem, not even an offer of a refund. We certainly didn’t want another can of paint!

So, here is the question: what now? Our first thought is to put painter’s tape of the rest of the wall to see if we can remove the rest of the garbage paint, but is there a better way.

We are afraid to paint over it for fear that the “valcrap” will act like a barrier so the good stuff will peel off also by pulling the valcrap off with it.
If the paint is as bad as you say it is, seems it'd be simple to remove the rest of the paint just by sticking your delicate surfaces blue tape to it and peeling it off - Unless the paint is adhering tighter to the rest of the surface than where the tape was applied...but if it is adhering tighter to other areas than where you taped, I'm not sure you can really blame the paint then, can you? If the paint stuck in one area, but not another, you have to wonder what the difference(s) was in the 2 areas...In other words, maybe the Lowes guy was at least partially right - the walls may have not been prepped right, or at least not sufficiently prepped.

I'm familiar with the relationship between Lowes and Valspar regarding their customer satisfaction guarantee - If you're not satisfied with the product, they will replace it - or refund your purchase price. It's a no-lose situation for Lowes, 'cause any refunds or replacements, due to customer dis-satisfaction, is reimbursed to Lowes by Valspar. I can understand 'em not offering a refund, but did you actually ask for one? They're usually pretty reasonable about it...

There are plenty of reasons to like, or not like, a particular brand of paint - and the personal preference issues almost always have to do with the application traits of a particular product. However, the reasons to NOT like a particular brand or product should never be due to a paint failure that you've experienced - the reason is this: Premature paint failures are almost never the fault of the paint applied (even using the term "almost" is a little misleading, but in this business, you can never say "never" or "always" with hopes of remaining truthful and objective). Paint fails for a reason and, unfortunately, the reason can most often times be traced to (a) improper (or inadequate) surface preparation, (b) an improper application, or (c) the wrong product was used/recommended for the wrong application (not the case here). Even product recalls throughout the industry are most often the result of mis-labeling or something equally innocuous - and rarely the result of a "bad" or defective batch of product...

Talk to your local INDEPENDENT paint dealer for his or her take on the reasons this product didn't perform as expected...then allow them to prescribe a proper means of repair, preparation, prime (if necessary) and finish system that'll result in a more satisfying experience.

Last edited by ric knows paint; 07-24-2012 at 11:16 AM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
Paint Pro

textbook adhesion issue, or possibly the paint dried too fast to adhere properly. Was it really hot/dry when you applied the product?. paint/primer in one is a big box lie to sell paint. shouldve primed. when cutting corners goes wrong.

Advertisement

Expert Paint is offline   Reply With Quote