Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

First Time Homeowner - Painting Prep Questions

Good morning everyone. I just recently purchased my first home and am looking to paint, but want to make sure I do things the proper way. I have some questions on prep work for both trim and and walls:

1) I began filling in nail holes and dents in already painted trim with wood filler. I then sanded the specific areas down. My first question is, should I sand the entire baseboard trim so that it is all completely sanded? Or is just sanding the specific areas down? I don't want the sanded areas to show when I paint the trim.

2) Should I clean the trim and walls down before re-painting it?

3) What type of white trim paint is best to hide imperfections and such? I want the trim to look really nice, but there are a few imperfetions.

4) Anyone have recommendations on wood filler? I've been using Elmer's in a black tube. Seems to work well, but I'm hoping when I paint over the spots they won't show...

Also, should I prime before painting as well? I see a lot of the paints have paint and primer. My biggest fear is having the sand marks/wood fill marks show after the paint is added.

ANY help is appreciated.

Thanks!

mi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,068

Post some pictures so we can see how bad it really is. have
Really need to clean it before sanding or filling, if not your just grinding in the dirt.
Do not use a primer and paint in one!
Use Zinzeer 123 primer and real paint from a paint store.
Anytime there's patching or there's bare wood showing you need to prime before painting or filling.
It's rare to have to remove all the paint on trim, just feather it out so it feels smooth with your hand.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can use drywall compound or caulking on nail holes but you usually cannot sand caulking and not all of it will be paintable. Wood filler will work but it is expensive and overkill if you are going to paint the surface.

You should spot prime any repairs. If the paint on the walls and trim is in good shape you do not have to prime unless making dramatic color changes. You will want to rough up glossy surfaces with fine grit paper though.

Primers are a great equalizers though and if you have any doubts about the surface, using a primer will not hurt. Primers used to be used when switching between oils and latex products but at least going with latex over oil you do not need them automatically any more. If you have a chalky aged oil finish, or a blotchy latex one, I would think about a primer though.

Hopefully the sellers cleaned the home up nicely to sell it but to be sure you should wash down all the walls and trim before you start painting. And vacuum sawdust or drywall dust out of your way so it does not end up blown on to your paint finish. 90 percent of an extraordinary paint job is all in the prep.

Remember the higher the sheen of the paint you choose the more any surface defects you have will show. While semi-gloss is common for trim, you might want to step down to a nice satin if there are lots of surface imperfections.

Cheap brushes will leave coarse brush marks so invest in a couple good ones. Good ones will hold and flow paint properly down to an edge that lets you do detailed work if needed. 2-1/2 and 3 (for wider trim) inch angled sash brushes were the ones I used most. I seldom ever used anything smaller so do not fall for those assortments of brushes---you will likely never use many in the bag. Purdy and Wooster were fave brands. Expect to pay about $15 retail but you will have them a long time if you take care of them.

Your other painting tools should be of good quality also. Don't buy cheap roller frames and expect not to fight them and roller covers that slip around. You will not need roller covers thinner than 3/8" and sticking with 1/2" for most but textured surfaces will serve you well. Quality contractor grade covers will work if you do not wash them out (I cannot see wasting the fresh water) but don't get the dirt cheap ones that shed.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #4

Thank you for the responses so far. I will get some pics out sometime soon.

So, just to clear up:

Any spots I've made repairs to such as using wood filler and sanding on the trim -- spot prime that?

When you say rough up glossy areas, does this mean if the paint on the walls currently are very glossy?

Should I clean the walls and trim with anything special? I've heard of TSP, but the walls/trim aren't in THAT bad of shape in my opinion.

Any other tips people have are welcomed. I will work on pics.

Thanks again
Old 04-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,214

http://www.diypaintingguide.org

Check ^^^^^^this out and Jsheridans other links for lots of great info.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,170

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
Thank you for the responses so far. I will get some pics out sometime soon.

So, just to clear up:

Any spots I've made repairs to such as using wood filler and sanding on the trim -- spot prime that?

When you say rough up glossy areas, does this mean if the paint on the walls currently are very glossy?

Should I clean the walls and trim with anything special? I've heard of TSP, but the walls/trim aren't in THAT bad of shape in my opinion.

Any other tips people have are welcomed. I will work on pics.

Thanks again
forget the TSP and go with Dirtex
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

I can only add one tip to all the good advice already given: Cleaning and preparation is a RESULT, not a process. Make sure the surfaces you clean actually become clean and be sure that the patches match the surface profile and don't look like patches when the primer and finish are applied.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

You're making me blush Gymschu.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #9

I've attached 4 pictures. Three of trim with small repair areas and one of the wall that is a cream color but does have a bit of gloss to it.
Attached Thumbnails
First Time Homeowner - Painting Prep Questions-trim-2.jpg   First Time Homeowner - Painting Prep Questions-trim-3.jpg   First Time Homeowner - Painting Prep Questions-trim-1.jpg   First Time Homeowner - Painting Prep Questions-walls.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,214

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
You're making me blush Gymschu.
Joe, it just seems to me, that you have all of that painting info/knowledge just a click or two away that would save someone the trouble of searching........but, alas, I guess many folks don't want to take the time to read.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,470

The only thing I might add is instead of wood filler you might try a good spackle it's a lot easier to work with and easier to sand.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #12

It looks like you have tannin bleed there as well. Look at the two gouges, they look a little brownish and down along the shoe molding as well. Gymschu, he can't see my links until he gets to ten posts, they don't appear on his screen.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
The only thing I might add is instead of wood filler you might try a good spackle it's a lot easier to work with and easier to sand.
Yes, lightweight vinyl spackling
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #14

Thanks, the brown/yellowish tint to the gouges is from Elmer's wood filler. The question is, when I re-paint this white, will those gouges show as white and kind of go away? Or should I go back and spackle them as well? Will that crackshot (i believe that's what it's called) work?

I appreciate the help everyone.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,470

No they won't show because your going to prime. Right?

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote