Fireplace Focal Point - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fireplace focal point

I moved into a 1960's bungalow recently and the entry leads into the living area. On the opposite wall is the fireplace and I want it to become a focal point of the room. The room is painted a light artic blue (white with a blue/green hue depending upon the lighting). I am going to paint the fireplace wall a color two tones darker, but I am wondering if I can introduce a even darker color to the mantle which is currently stark white like the trim. I have been cautioned not to introduce a "4th" color on the walls, but the mantle needs something.
Any thoughts?

Advertisement

cubsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

Fireplace focal point

youd be surprised at what colors go together an what can be done. my suggestion to you would be go the paint store an get a hold of a color wheel and start looking at different color combinations . i was never a fan of 1 color a few shades darker then the other, thats so ''yesterday''

Advertisement

Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fireplace focal point

You should explore use of color before making choices. I use tools anyone can buy like Color Impact from Tiger Color. It comes with a free trial. The online version of easyRGB is free and will translate colors and color schemes you come up with in something like Color Impact into nearest match paint color names and codes from the major paint manufacturers.

Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams have color simulating software you can tap online or download. If you take nice digital images of your space, and mask off different areas, you can try as many schemes and colors as you can imagine before even getting the real paint chips from the paint store---not a box store.

A color wheel and learning basic color relationships would be a great investment. You can build your own in Color Impact but the basic relationships between colors do not change.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Fireplace focal point

oops.

Last edited by DannyT; 08-16-2011 at 11:15 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:42 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Fireplace focal point

The color of the brick should be brought into condsideration. You might also think of doing the mantel in a color that is in your furnishings, i.e. sofa, curtains or other accessories that are in the room.
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote