Finishing My Garage Walls - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Finishing my garage walls

Hi all,

I just moved into my new home and I am planning to finish my 1 car garage. The builder did put up the drywalls but it's not painted and all I can see is white patches or joint compound??

However in some places I am seeing white tapes which joints the walls together. I am not sure if this common but the areas which they joined using the white tape are so rough and not even. I guess they did a fast job.

Went down to lowes and got myself a primer, a 150 grit sand paper and the painting goodies.. my question now is;

1. Since the plastering is bad, can I sand on top of the white tape and try to make as even as possible?

2. Do you guys think I should get joint compound and cover it on top of the white tape after sanding and re-sand again for a better finish?

3. In some areas they have dinged the wall right at joint and have applied the white joint tapes. what do I do in this case? I am sure I can see shadows on those areas when I complete my painting

I can take some pictures if that would help for your expert advice... let me know

Thanks

Advertisement

sk72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Finishing my garage walls

garages are drywalled and taped only for fire purposes.

if you are not a skilled plasterer and have a couple of days on your hands, hire one because there are now so many variables in your substrate- that you are obvoiusly picky about- taht only a pro can undo and deal with. It is harder to do this in general for a plasterer than not having it taped at all. get ready for a bill of 1000 for plastering and painting. If you live in a snowy or otherwise humid climate, forget about it.

Advertisement

ting is offline   Reply With Quote