Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2013, 03:10 AM   #1

Share |

Finishing the front door

I'm a home owner who does most of the painting himself or with a helper.
My question is: Is it common practice to fine sand a door after finishing with the final top coat?
I can't seem to get the final top coat to be smooth even after straining the paint, adding floetrol, cleaning the door completely.....

romavictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:09 AM   #2

Finishing the front door

I remove the door and lay it on saw horses, use a 2-1/2" quality sash brush to paint the low or detailed areas and a foam roller for all the flat areas.
Comes out as smooth as if it was sprayed.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Finishing the front door

I never take a door off the hinges-
there was a discussion not long ago on that topic..

What paint are you using? And what is rough- is it still getting junk in it or is it brush strokes that are bothering you?

If you sand after the final you will mar the surface- so it would still need another coat.
user1007 (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #4

Finishing the front door

I took one of the doors off the hinge originally and it was a mess!!! I was rushing against time and that's always a bad idea. Hate to be rushed.

So I've been patiently taking my time to sand, prime and paint while they hang. I've sanded the damn doors at least 6 different times with 6 different grits, patched the old knob holes with woodepox before sanding, primed it and the latest step: the doors has its first coat of paint. But It just felt gritty and rough, so I sanded them with a 320 grit paper yesterday.

I used a 2 inch angled brush to cut into the depressions and than used a roller all over including the brushed areas. I'm using SW solo for the outside facing sides of the door and on the inside facing, I'm using SW emerald interior paint. Both in semi-gloss.

I added floetrol to the solo and strained it. I vacuumed and cleaned the door with TSP, I don't know what's causing the grittiness.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #5

Finishing the front door

Will a foam roller do the trick? I'm using what was recommended by the SW guy. Not sure what its called but its definitely not foam.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
custom user

Finishing the front door

Was the paint can open and near any sanding? Even if not the paint probably needs straining, use at least 100 mesh. Also, just because the door looks clean after sanding that doesn't mean that it is. It needs to be wiped down, I use Isoprophyl alcohol on a lint free rag or tack rags. Then spray with air. I also prefer alkyd enamels for smooth coats and durability.
JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #7

Finishing the front door

, wiped it down with a damp rag and than used TSP to wipe it down again. The tsp is very good. Gets everything off the door. No the paint can was not opened until I was done sanding and cleaning the doors. I'm gonna try the tack cloths this time.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #8

Finishing the front door

Sometimes a resin in the paint can go "gritty" and it doesn't manifest itself until the film begins drying. Using the same paint, apply it to another surface and see if the new surface is gritty or not. If it is, get S-W to supply a different batch. If it's not the paint, then there is a cotaminent somewhere around the entryway.

As to brushmarks, if that's an issue, there are none in the can. Don't expect an automotive, sprayed-on factory finish when you are brushing a latex outdoors. Good painting procedures that the painters on this forum offer will reduce brushmarks, but perhaps not completely eliminate them.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #9

Finishing the front door

Actually I'm not even worried about brush marks, i don't mind them so much. It's the gritty sandy texture that bugs me. Can it just be stuff in the air sticking to the paint while drying?
Old 04-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #10

Finishing the front door

What I really want to know is, if after finishing the final top coat and the grittiness is still there, can I just fine sand it perhaps with a 400 grit paper and leave it that way?

It will look scuffed/dull which gives it a weathered look which I don't mind.

Is that common?
Old 04-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

Finishing the front door

I'm thinking you should get another paint.
May I recommend Advance from Ben Moore. Or Aura-
You didn't say if it was the outside or inside- if outside- use the Exterior Aura. Dries fast- use the BM extender . But it is a great paint.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #12

Finishing the front door

You're using TSP, are you rinsing that well?

We've had the discussion about taking doors off hinges more than once. The people who know little appreciate learning even less.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #13

Finishing the front door

Yeah I use TSP and rinse it off pretty good. All the junk seem to come off the rag when rinsing in the bucket. Maybe I'll try using 2 different buckets next time. 1 for the TSP mix and 1 just for rinsing.

Taking the doors off the hinge may be a great idea if you're a contractor who needs to rush through a project ASAP and move on to the next customer but for a home owner who does not finish/paint doors on a daily basis, it's out of the question.

Like I said, I did initially remove 1 of the double doors and worked in my garage sanding, priming and painting.....it took me about 10 hours just to do all that. It came out looking no better than before I started and it was almost 8 pm the door wasn't fully dried. I had to hang it back on which did make things even worse.

So now I just take my sweet time working on it while its on the hinge and not be rushed. I've been working in for about 2 weeks now.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Finishing the front door

[QUOTE=jsheridan;1162156]You're using TSP, are you rinsing that well?

We've had the discussion about taking doors off hinges more than once. The people who know little appreciate learning even less.[/QUOTE]

Bingo! I bet the tsp was not rinsed well and that is the grit.

Watch out the mod police are watching
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
custom user

Finishing the front door

It usually takes one or two minutes to knock the pins out. It would be faster for me to take the door off and paint horizontally. I wouldn't call it rushing through the project, it would be doing it the best way.

It's very possible that the grit is stuff blowing onto the wet paint while it's drying, another reason to take the door off and paint in the garage or somewhere indoors. There's more stuff in the air than you know. The best way to find out is to paint something.

JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote