Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #1

Share |

Filling Small Defects in Alkyd Primed Trim: what to use?

After wood trim is alkyd primed (in this case Ben Moore Underbody Alkyd Primer #217) small surface defects that were missed become visible and need patching.

What product is used? Spackle? Solvent base Wood Filler? Joint compound?

Also when moving on to painting: do you guys generally do all the coats of wall painting first, complete that and move on to painting trim and doors, or do you apply the first coat of wall paint followed by first coat of trim paint…..second coat of wall then second coat of trim?
Is there an advantage to one sequence over the other? Ease of cut in, ease of touching up painting errors, etc.

Lovegasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegasoline View Post
After wood trim is alkyd primed (in this case Ben Moore Underbody Alkyd Primer #217) small surface defects that were missed become visible and need patching.
Quote:

What product is used? Spackle? Solvent base Wood Filler? Joint compound?
Also when moving on to painting: do you guys generally do all the coats of wall painting first, complete that and move on to painting trim and doors, or do you apply the first coat of wall paint followed by first coat of trim paint…..second coat of wall then second coat of trim?
Is there an advantage to one sequence over the other? Ease of cut in, ease of touching up painting errors, etc.
I think the MH was recommended by several people. For some reason you seem to be unconvinced the product will work.

Question for you....... Why won't this product work for skim coating over an enamel based primer, to fill blemishes?

If you can use the product on exterior wood repairs under adverse weather conditions, you would think it would be ok inside a controlled environment?

Kevin

Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #3

Thanks for confirming the MH, I just completed the spackling.
Do I need to now spot prime these areas before using the Acrylic Satin Impervo?

--------------------

Kevin, you are absolutely right.

I’ve made so many assumptions here and I’m concerned about compatibility of products/layers. FYI, I have a long hallway that was coated thick with many gross layers of paint slopped on over the decades, top layer was semi-gloss.
About four months ago, the guy in charge of repairs said, ‘Let’s skim coat this hallway and make it look like it’s not a tenement ghetto’. He ordered it to be skim coated.

I alerted the workers to the fact that they should probably either strip the paint, use a de-gloss liquid, sand, and perhaps use sheets of mesh also under the skim coat. They shock their head yes and then just skim coated directly over the semi gloss paint without so much as wiping it or cleaning it! I protested, but I do not own the place. They used joint compound mixed with some plaster. In under a handful of months, in several areas it's cracking, pulling away from the wall, de-laminating. Just this week, they came in and chopped off, re-skim coated with mesh, and sanded about 60 sq/ft. I just primed the repaired area this morning and was about to go out and buy expensive paint to do the top coat (btw, the floors in that area are being refinished early next week).
As I was priming, I notice that the skim coat was delaminating from the wall in even more areas! I'm completely demoralized and fed up. It means living here providing more access days to chump workers, more dust, more incompetence, moving furniture yet again, and yet more delays before resuming normal life. Gah.

That being the case, I wanted to DOUBLE CHECK to be absolutely certain the MH was the product for this purpose. I do not want more surprises.

Last edited by Lovegasoline; 12-19-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Do I need to now spot prime these areas before using the Acrylic Satin Impervo?

Yes,yes,and yes.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #5

Thanks Chris, I'll spot prime tonight along with the remaining priming. The Ben Moore Underbody Alkyd primer is an absolute pleasure to brush out compared to Coverstain (and I wonder how Zinsser managed to get it to reek so much, it couldn't have been easy).

I also got some TSP substitute and will use that for now on to clean prior to priming.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #6

Lgas,
When painting interiors, I paint all the wood trim, doors, windows, etc. to the finish. Make sure everything is dry for a day, then tape off woodwork and paint the walls. (blue tape)
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:57 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Lgas,
When painting interiors, I paint all the wood trim, doors, windows, etc. to the finish. Make sure everything is dry for a day, then tape off woodwork and paint the walls. (blue tape)
Mike Hawkins

Personally,I woud not put tape on fresly painted trim till it was cured,30 days.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Personally,I woud not put tape on fresly painted trim till it was cured,30 days.
My either.

And as far as patching dinged up trim? I would prime, use drywall compound, wet sand it, prime again, and paint a couple coats.

If you really want something more fine? Hit the art store. A little bucket of stuff like compound (Liquitex artist's modeling paste?) will set you back a few dollars but will go on smooth and will have finer ground marble or stone in it than compound does. You will need carbide sand paper to deal with it though.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote