Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

filling and painting seams in Hardiplank

I've got 13 year old hardiplank siding. The previous owner had it painted about 3-4 years ago. Paint job looks pro.

However, in many places, tiny gaps have opened at the seams.

I was told this is very bad and something that should be remedied promptly. True?

Secondly - I hate when I drive the neighborhood and I see houses with the obvious work done on these seams. It's just so obvious and ugly - you can see all the little vertical lines.

My first thought was to take clear silicone with a fine-tip and fill the gaps. That way I'm not touching the face at all.

But I got advice from someone who said not to use that - but instead use quality white caulk, then go back and paint it. That's where those ugly seam marks likely come from.

Thoughts?

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Hi denemante.

I am a professional painting contractor and I work at the Home Depot in the paint department. I am very familiar with your situation and have applied just about every method in addressing this somewhat common problem.

Caulking the opened seams with a high quality product like DAP 360 or White Lightning that contain an elastomeric compound will be the best solution. Use your finger to smooth over the caulk, and then lightly wipe with a damp cloth.

If the existing paint job is of top quality and materials then you shouldn't have any problems blending in the paint as you "touch up" the seams. If the siding has a texture on it then most of the time you will not be able to see any differences. If however, the siding is smooth, then you may try touching up and seeing how it looks. If you see blemishes after it has dried, then you will have to paint that one whole row of siding in order to make it disappear.

Lastly, if the paint finish is a flat sheen, then you should prime over the dried caulk before painting the final coat. dried caulk will make flat paint dry over the top of it with a little sheen to it. Thus creating those lines you see on other homes.

I hope this helps you out a bit. Post anything else we can help you out with.

HDPaintPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

The paint is a few years old and it is a flat/matte type finish. And the hardiplank has that fake wood grain.

Are the products you noted available in clear so I can skip the painting part? If they are white - then it sounds like I'd have to do the whole house first. Then wait a day or more until the caulk dries. Then get back on the ladder and attempt to touch up those lines.

Also, the leftover house paint (left from the previous owner) is several years old and probably worthless. It was Porter - and it's on their "old system" so they'd have to try to match it vs. pulling the exact color. So it won't match perfectly, componding the issue of it not blending in.

I've heard there is a product shaped like a T that you hammer up and in from the bottom to close or at least somewhat seal the gap? Anyone heard of that?
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote