Filling Material Between Dissimilar Materials? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Filling material between dissimilar materials?

In separate rooms we have two window ledges about 4" wide. The underlying ledge material of half the ledge is wood and the other half wallboard. The line where these two materials meet beneath a thin coating of plaster is always cracked, obviously because the two materials heat and contract at different rates.

Rather than fill the crack with Polyfilla (which only lasted 8 months before cracking) I am considering using a Mono Ultra latex-based interior sealant along this join. I am thinking this might shrink and expand better and have less chance of cracking. The surface finish won't be a smooth as Polyfilla but is at least paintable.

Any other ideas as to what might work for me would be greatly appreciated.



lagagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Matthewt1970's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,829
Rewards Points: 1,098

I have to assume that is latex caulk? That is what I would use.


Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Doer of Many Things
poppameth's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 1,208
Rewards Points: 576

Big Stretch caulk from Sashco is the first go to product for this sort of thing. It can stretch a very large distance for caulk and return to it's original size. If you want to get really aggressive you can use a product called NP1 from Sonneborn. It's a moisture cured urethane expansion joint sealant. It's used to seal joints between sections of block wall among other things. It'll handle movement over a large commercial structure. It shouldn't have any issues with what you are trying to do.
Darkling Designs
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY
housepaintingny's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,039
Rewards Points: 616
Blog Entries: 14

Make the crack a little wider with a putty knife or 5 in 1. Make the crack deeper in the shape of a v. Fill it in with durabond. Then put a piece of meshed dry wall tape over it and compound over the tape. When compounding over the drywall tape go wide with the compound . Then sand. Sanding the center a little and sanding your edges smooth. Prime and re-paint the repair. Durabond is a joint compound that dries harder than normal compound and comes in powder that you mix with water. We use it all the time for stress cracks in homes and it works great.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
framing material estimate maydoug Building & Construction 38 06-12-2009 01:32 PM
Ceiling Ventilation Fan rjordan392 HVAC 1 05-20-2009 05:41 PM
Type DZYR/Electrical vs. type QNMJ/Plumbing PVC Pipe BigJimmy Electrical 2 07-01-2006 09:38 PM
What roofing material is right for me? Grumpy Roofing/Siding 0 07-07-2004 07:41 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1