Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Filling material between dissimilar materials?

In separate rooms we have two window ledges about 4" wide. The underlying ledge material of half the ledge is wood and the other half wallboard. The line where these two materials meet beneath a thin coating of plaster is always cracked, obviously because the two materials heat and contract at different rates.

Rather than fill the crack with Polyfilla (which only lasted 8 months before cracking) I am considering using a Mono Ultra latex-based interior sealant along this join. I am thinking this might shrink and expand better and have less chance of cracking. The surface finish won't be a smooth as Polyfilla but is at least paintable.

Any other ideas as to what might work for me would be greatly appreciated.

cheers...Larry

lagagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

I have to assume that is latex caulk? That is what I would use.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Doer of Many Things

Big Stretch caulk from Sashco is the first go to product for this sort of thing. It can stretch a very large distance for caulk and return to it's original size. If you want to get really aggressive you can use a product called NP1 from Sonneborn. It's a moisture cured urethane expansion joint sealant. It's used to seal joints between sections of block wall among other things. It'll handle movement over a large commercial structure. It shouldn't have any issues with what you are trying to do.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Make the crack a little wider with a putty knife or 5 in 1. Make the crack deeper in the shape of a v. Fill it in with durabond. Then put a piece of meshed dry wall tape over it and compound over the tape. When compounding over the drywall tape go wide with the compound . Then sand. Sanding the center a little and sanding your edges smooth. Prime and re-paint the repair. Durabond is a joint compound that dries harder than normal compound and comes in powder that you mix with water. We use it all the time for stress cracks in homes and it works great.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote